Time Change

Old 03-05-2024, 08:30 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts
Default Time Change

2 times a year we are tortured by an unnecessary time change.

Why not just spring time forward 1/2 an hour this Saturday and leave time alone. Simple fix.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

My guess is people do not really care
Old 03-05-2024, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post

Why not just spring time forward 1/2 an hour this Saturday and leave time alone. Simple fix.
Simpler still: do away with DST and just stay on standard time.

Workable solution: Simply adjust the time you do things. If your alarm was set for 7AM last month, set it for 8AM next month. If you went to bed at 11PM last month, go to bed at midnight next month. We're retired so no longer tied to a clock for anything other than happy hour.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-05-2024, 08:42 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,641 Times in 445 Posts

Retired, so really doesn’t matter.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:

I agree with you. Spring ahead & then leave it alone. I have hopes it will happen soon (within the next few years).
Old 03-05-2024, 09:21 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Or one could move to Hawaii or Arizona...

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-05-2024, 09:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

We have 2 clocks to change microwave and stove and might get around by Monday.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

I very much prefer more end of the day daylight than early morning daylight. Here is a vote to move the clocks forward two hours and keep them there forever.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

When I lived up north I looked forward to the Daylight Time "spring forward" weekend because it meant that Spring was coming (well once upon a time when it was the 3rd weekend in April it meant Spring was here), but more importantly for me, it meant I could take my dog to the river after work and get an hour of brisk exercise before the sun set.
Now that I'm in Florida, not cooped up inside all day at the office, I completely forgot about the impending change until I saw this thread. Thanks for the reminder.
Other than setting a few clocks forward, it really has no effect on my lifestyle anymore.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:

"tortured"?

More like "mildly inconvenienced" in my book.
Old 03-05-2024, 01:17 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Personally, I find it easier to deal with the inconvenience twice a year than every day. This way, I always know that a 8:00 tee time works instead of having to check an almanac to see if the sun is up that early today.

Lot's of stuff in this life is needlessly annoying -- like that silly way our planet keeps wobbling back and forth, and that stupid water that falls from the sky periodically. I think that's why they call it "Earth" rather than "Heaven". But at least God gave us a brain so we can sorta fix stuff like that, with an umbrella and daylight savings time!
Old 03-05-2024, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,025 Times in 1,749 Posts

I don’t like having to adjust the clocks, climbing up ladders etc twice a year in 2 houses. Checking on TV schedule etc. Am I late/early for an event? Also sleep and eating pattern is changed. I prefer one set time throughout the year.
Old 03-05-2024, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

I'm retired, but I don't understand the mentality of people who dismiss the topic with that excuse. Some retired people like playing golf, and have to have tee-times scheduled in advance. If the retired person isn't in sync with the scheduler, the retired person might show up at the wrong time, and not be allowed to play. Can you imagine a doctor's office saying "oh, you're an hour late for your appointment! Come on in, our office and all our employees rearrange our schedule and their lives, just to accommodate your retirement."

Or worse: "Yes I know you're on time for your chemo treatment Mr. Cancer-Guy. But the woman who gives you the chemo uses the sunlight for her alarm clock, and the clouds obscured dawn this morning. So she's running three hours late. You can call your dentist's office and reschedule THEM for another day if you want."

I'm retired, but being retired doesn't mean I don't have morning doctors appointments, or breakfast with the ladies, or a meeting of the club that doesn't schedule itself around my personal wake-up habits. I don't mind the time changes down here, since even during the shorter daylight times, dusk is later than it was up north. So I get more daylight hours in Florida anyway. It's one of the only things I actually like about the state.
Old 03-05-2024, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,942 Times in 2,461 Posts

We are retired and don’t have say how working world functions. The only time I look at clock when I have to be somewhere on time.
Old 03-05-2024, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,942 Times in 2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'm retired, but I don't understand the mentality of people who dismiss the topic with that excuse. Some retired people like playing golf, and have to have tee-times scheduled in advance. If the retired person isn't in sync with the scheduler, the retired person might show up at the wrong time, and not be allowed to play. Can you imagine a doctor's office saying "oh, you're an hour late for your appointment! Come on in, our office and all our employees rearrange our schedule and their lives, just to accommodate your retirement."

Or worse: "Yes I know you're on time for your chemo treatment Mr. Cancer-Guy. But the woman who gives you the chemo uses the sunlight for her alarm clock, and the clouds obscured dawn this morning. So she's running three hours late. You can call your dentist's office and reschedule THEM for another day if you want."

I'm retired, but being retired doesn't mean I don't have morning doctors appointments, or breakfast with the ladies, or a meeting of the club that doesn't schedule itself around my personal wake-up habits. I don't mind the time changes down here, since even during the shorter daylight times, dusk is later than it was up north. So I get more daylight hours in Florida anyway. It's one of the only things I actually like about the state.
Why you have watch.

Tags
time, change, simple, leave, saturday

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.