Tipping

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2023, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,773 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
You don't know that. The policy can vary and may require that all tips be shared. I worked as a bartender when I was younger and the policy was that all tips were shared. Pocketing a tip would have had unpleasant consequences.
Truth!
Hostess, more often than notin my experience, is nothing more than a greeter who hands the waitperson some menus. The waiter/waitress guides on to our table, explains any specials, gets our drinks then takes our order. The waitstaff does something that impacts the customer. The host/hostess? No sweat, or effort that I can see. Full pay Plus a slice of the gratuity given to the one that put forth some effort on your behalf? Bet I can guess who came up with that scam/scheme
Old 07-01-2023, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,654 Times in 3,167 Posts

Quote:
You don't know that. The policy can vary and may require that all tips be shared. I worked as a bartender when I was younger and the policy was that all tips were shared. Pocketing a tip would have had unpleasant consequences.
I absolutely do know that. I've been a waitress. We were SUPPOSED to pool our tips. But if we were tipped cash, the boss had no way to know how much cash our customers gave us in tips. He wasn't allowed to reach into our pockets, or check our purses in the office. When we tipped out at the end of the night, I might've tossed in a fair chunk to the busboy and the cook. But if the cook screwed up several of my customers' orders, resulting in a lower tip than I could've expected, I might shave extra for myself and tossed less into the share pool.

The only people who knew how much cash I was tipped, were the customers who gave me cash.
Old 07-01-2023, 05:05 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,353 Times in 614 Posts

Speaking of tips, did anyone tip their movers?

I paid about $8,000 for the move which I thought should cover everything.

When the movers arrived (3 movers and the driver/supervisor), the supervisor told me that they expected tips of about 10% - or $800 total for four movers. Tipping $200 for 6 hours of work is $33 an hour on top of what they were being paid by their employer.

I was in a real bind. In about six hours, they were going to be driving off with almost everything I owned. If I didn’t tip them, I had no idea if items might get broken or might be “lost” in the move. I ended up tipping $400 and some items were broken and they also lost several boxes.

Did this happen to anyone else? How much did they demand?
Old 07-01-2023, 09:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You just admitted you stole from your co-workers. I got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I absolutely do know that. I've been a waitress. We were SUPPOSED to pool our tips. But if we were tipped cash, the boss had no way to know how much cash our customers gave us in tips. He wasn't allowed to reach into our pockets, or check our purses in the office. When we tipped out at the end of the night, I might've tossed in a fair chunk to the busboy and the cook. But if the cook screwed up several of my customers' orders, resulting in a lower tip than I could've expected, I might shave extra for myself and tossed less into the share pool.

The only people who knew how much cash I was tipped, were the customers who gave me cash.

Last edited by tuccillo; 07-01-2023 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-02-2023, 07:48 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1701 View Post
That's nice in theory, but many of us do not use cash anymore.
I always carry ones and fives so I always tip in cash.
Old 07-02-2023, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,893 Times in 5,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
I always carry ones and fives so I always tip in cash.
I use 2-dollar bills that I order from the bank, 100 at a time.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,479 Times in 2,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post

When the movers arrived (3 movers and the driver/supervisor), the supervisor told me that they expected tips of about 10% - or $800 total for four movers. Tipping $200 for 6 hours of work is $33 an hour on top of what they were being paid by their employer.

I was in a real bind. In about six hours, they were going to be driving off with almost everything I owned. If I didn’t tip them, I had no idea if items might get broken or might be “lost” in the move. I ended up tipping $400 and some items were broken and they also lost several boxes.

I haven't experienced this in my three moves with moving companies. I do tip on both ends but after the work is done, not before. Clearly, that is a company to avoid in the future.

I vaguely remember seeing something in the contract about the driver asking for more money. Perhaps it happens often enough that there is standard language about it. Still, when you are faced with hard dates for closing, traveling, and basically getting out of the house and when you know that they will be driving away with nearly everything you own then you are not in a very good position to argue or cancel.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-02-2023, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post

Now, I would write up a review in every media I could think of (naming and posting their company) documenting and photographing what happened. Until they begged you to take it down. What you are describing is extortion! If broken stuff was valuable, sue them. I know people who would be picketing outside their office with signs. Don’t, let them get away with it!
Old 07-02-2023, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,654 Times in 3,167 Posts

Quote:
You just admitted you stole from your co-workers. I got it.
No, I admitted that my co-workers stole from me, and I chose not to reward them for it.
Old 07-02-2023, 03:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It is amazing how people attempt to justify their bad behavior. Nice try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
No, I admitted that my co-workers stole from me, and I chose not to reward them for it.
Closed Thread

Tags
tipping, waitresses, restaurants, share, tips

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.