Tipping Amounts

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2013, 03:57 PM

My Christmas "card" from our newspaper delivery person was a 3" x 5" piece of paper with the words "Happy Holidays" and his name and address printed on it. Talk about an obvious request for a holiday tip! It really put me off the idea. I think I'll make a donation in his name, instead.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbh1975 View Post
My Christmas "card" from our newspaper delivery person was a 3" x 5" piece of paper with the words "Happy Holidays" and his name and address printed on it. Talk about an obvious request for a holiday tip! It really put me off the idea. I think I'll make a donation in his name, instead.
Maybe thats all he could afford..........how many papers do you think he deliveres each day?
I'm sure he will get a big Christmas lift knowing somewhere there is a donation in his name..............................
Or, am I talking your post all wrong?
Old 12-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Default Tip Them Both

I tip both the mail box person and the paper carrier. I appreciate them putting a Christmas message in my paper and mailbox so I can send my gift directly to them. I add a tip to my annual bill for the paper carrier (there is place to leave a tip on the bill) of $20. I also send each of them a Christmas card with a $20 gift certificate, usually to Wal Mart. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Platinum member

I appreciate the jobs they do and am thankful I'm in a position to tip them. I'm glad they provide an address so I can send it to them directly.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Sage

I tip my cleaning service people before Christmas - the same two have been with me a long time.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 12-11-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbh1975 View Post
Wow. Now that's having it all together. If I was your paper boy/girl you'd never see a plastic bag again. Ever read a soaking wet newspaper.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Sage

If it makes you feel good to tip everyone than go ahead. I am old fashion enough to believe a tip is for exceptional service and not just because the person makes low wages. The person who reads my water or electric meter is doing what he is paid to do and he either does or doesn't do it. The newspaper person does his job putting my paper in my driveway every morning rain or shine and on time and earns a good tip. Some jobs can show exceptional service such as a server in a restaurant as compared to some jobs that are either do or don't such as picking up your trash.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Matzy

So far I did not give cash in the past but for that always a gift card for $ 20.-- (Target) and I always got a "Thank You" letter back from them - even I did not meet any of them.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:29 PM

Does anyone tip their lawn service or trash pickup people?
I see my lawn service people every week and like the way they take care of my yard whether I'm there or not so I tip him.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
If it makes you feel good to tip everyone than go ahead. I am old fashion enough to believe a tip is for exceptional service and not just because the person makes low wages. The person who reads my water or electric meter is doing what he is paid to do and he either does or doesn't do it. The newspaper person does his job putting my paper in my driveway every morning rain or shine and on time and earns a good tip. Some jobs can show exceptional service such as a server in a restaurant as compared to some jobs that are either do or don't such as picking up your trash.
How do you feel about employers giving out Christmas bonuses?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Default tipping amounts

I tip the newspaper delivery person, the mail person and the trash collectors.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
I appreciate the jobs they do and am thankful I'm in a position to tip them. I'm glad they provide an address so I can send it to them directly.

For me the key phrase is "thankful I'm in a position to tip them."

Sadly, I outlived my dear wife although I expected just the opposite. I centered all my financial planning around providing for her future expenses so she would not have to work after my death.

Now, when I see an older woman working in a restaurant I always overtip substantially as an expression of my thanks that my wife never had to go through that.

I do tip the newspaper carrier. I had not thought to tip the mail delivery person. I do know that here in TV they are not federal employees, but contractors, so will probably give a tip this year.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby9red View Post
Does anyone tip their lawn service or trash pickup people?
I see my lawn service people every week and like the way they take care of my yard whether I'm there or not so I tip him.
NO! Definitely not the lawn guys. I pay them in the winter when it's dormant and they do nothing

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

My 2 lawn guys--$20 each
My newspaper guy--$10--I might bump that to $20
The mail guy--$10
My wife--unlimited--she earns it.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
My 2 lawn guys--$20 each
My newspaper guy--$10--I might bump that to $20
The mail guy--$10
My wife--unlimited--she earns it.
I'm thinking of tipping my husband this year. He washes all the dishes and does most of the laundry.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.