Tipping surprise!!!

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2018, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Tipping surprise!!!

We went to iHop for breakfast after golf yesterday....as we do almost every week.

On our table was the iHop copy of bill for previous customer.

When looking to see what it was I was shocked. A $42 total check......with a $2 tip. I could not believe my eyes. It surely was not for bad service as the waitress for the table is one we have had quite often. Excellent waitress.....maybe it is because she knows she gets a 20%+ from us, regularly.

I have heard a lot about the select group of lousy tippers in TV. My first real observation of the fact.

Now I understand the joke....do you know the difference between a villager and a canoe? Canoes tip!!!!!

Shame on the tight a$$e$ here!!
Old 04-22-2018, 10:57 AM

You know the old saying “Don’t judge to you know all the facts”
Old 04-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchase View Post
You know the old saying “Don’t judge to you know all the facts”
Fact!!! The Villages has it's share of bad awful, cheap tippers....maybe more that it's share. Ask a server you know well enough to get their experience.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:12 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Fact! Tipping used to be about the quality of service...now you tip 20% no matter how the service because many people feel the wait staff are underpaid and deserve it no matter how bad the service. Fact! you keep tipping even when the service is poor then don't be surprised when you go out to eat and the service is crappy. Fact!
Old 04-22-2018, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Do not prejudge or ASSume. It is very possible that majority of the tip was left by credit card and someone in the group wanted to add a couple extra bucks in cash OR (as I have done) maybe someone in the group just had toast and coffee, paid $6 cash and left a $2 cash tip. Lot's of other possibilities rather than ASSuming a $2 tip was left on a $42+ tab. Somehow I highly doubt it even for a cheapskate tipper. That's a bit of a stretch.

Oh and as for Mr FACT! Yes, I do feel for the server who may be making $5 or $7/hr before tips and still leave a decent tip even if things weren't "great." Maybe they were having a bad day and were upset because they couldn't make a car payment. FACT! We're talking "Pancake House" here not fine dining at Ruth Cris Steak House.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

OP stated the facts clearly. Plain old cheap. If you want to see poor tipping in high speed check out the
the number of cheapskate while standing in line at one of the drink kiosks at the squares.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2018, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We went to iHop for breakfast after golf yesterday....as we do almost every week.

On our table was the iHop copy of bill for previous customer.

When looking to see what it was I was shocked. A $42 total check......with a $2 tip. I could not believe my eyes. It surely was not for bad service as the waitress for the table is one we have had quite often. Excellent waitress.....maybe it is because she knows she gets a 20%+ from us, regularly.

I have heard a lot about the select group of lousy tippers in TV. My first real observation of the fact.

Now I understand the joke....do you know the difference between a villager and a canoe? Canoes tip!!!!!

Shame on the tight a$$e$ here!!
I agree.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Do not prejudge or ASSume. It is very possible that majority of the tip was left by credit card and someone in the group wanted to add a couple extra bucks in cash OR (as I have done) maybe someone in the group just had toast and coffee, paid $6 cash and left a $2 cash tip. Lot's of other possibilities rather than ASSuming a $2 tip was left on a $42+ tab. Somehow I highly doubt it even for a cheapskate tipper. That's a bit of a stretch.

Oh and as for Mr FACT! Yes, I do feel for the server who may be making $5 or $7/hr before tips and still leave a decent tip even if things weren't "great." Maybe they were having a bad day and were upset because they couldn't make a car payment. FACT! We're talking "Pancake House" here not fine dining at Ruth Cris Steak House.
I very much agree.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
OP stated the facts clearly. Plain old cheap. If you want to see poor tipping in high speed check out the
the number of cheapskate while standing in line at one of the drink kiosks at the squares.

I agree CHi.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Fact! Tipping used to be about the quality of service...now you tip 20% no matter how the service because many people feel the wait staff are underpaid and deserve it no matter how bad the service. Fact! you keep tipping even when the service is poor then don't be surprised when you go out to eat and the service is crappy. Fact!
You are right. They stand on their feet all day and carry heavy hot food.

Not everyone was born with the ability to be a doctor.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:52 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You are right. They stand on their feet all day and carry heavy hot food.

Not everyone was born with the ability to be a doctor.
Not everybody wants to be a doctor. I know many very intelligent women who waitressed as some point in their lives for one reason or another.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:58 PM
Sage

We had brunch this a.m. after church at a local restaurant and I marveled at the service and how those waitresses seemed to bust their hinnies from the kitchen to the tables. I thought about the many posts of folks I've read in the past, who think that tipping is irrelevent to themselves. I would bet they never worked in ANY area of the service industry!!! I think it's a true lack of character truth be told and fodder for another conversation.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post

Those kiosk servers aren't table waitresses running 5 plates of food and drink to 10 tables and aren't being paid $5 hr. While a tip might be a nice thing it's totally unnecessary. They are no different than the folks at Wendy's or McDonald's who work just as hard or probably harder. Do you tip them? Sorry, that's "apples and oranges." Should I tip them for squirting a hose with diet Coke or beer into a cup and handing it to me? If so why not tip the kids who work at McD or Wendy's? It's a nice thing to tip the kiosk servers your loose change but the amount shouldn't matter.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Kiosk Tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Those kiosk servers aren't table waitresses running 5 plates of food and drink to 10 tables and aren't being paid $5 hr. While a tip might be a nice thing it's totally unnecessary. They are no different than the folks at Wendy's or McDonald's who work just as hard or probably harder. Do you tip them? Sorry, that's "apples and oranges." Should I tip them for squirting a hose with diet Coke or beer into a cup and handing it to me? If so why not tip the kids who work at McD or Wendy's? It's a nice thing to tip the kiosk servers your loose change but the amount shouldn't matter.
I always give them $1.00 per drink.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:44 PM

In my unscientific survey of bartenders and servers during the 11 years I have been here , Villagers in general are bad tippers.
Closed Thread

Tags
waitress, table, tip, ihop, select

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.