Today, it begins

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2017, 10:51 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Be careful. Your children, if they live in the same town, may feel that by selling everything and moving far away, you are cutting them out of your lives.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Be careful. Your children, if they live in the same town, may feel that by selling everything and moving far away, you are cutting them out of your lives.
So what if they feel that way?

We are retired and we have our freedom. We can do whatever we want with our lives. We don't owe anything to anybody.

We intend to appreciate and enjoy each day. If anyone doesn't like us doing that, we don't care.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:51 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
If your children feel that way they are pretty self centered.

Last edited by fw102807; 01-01-2018 at 08:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-01-2018, 10:49 AM
Gold member
Default Like everthing else you must find your answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duppa View Post
It's an old story. Worked 30 years for the same company, planning for more years, but the boss had other ideas (that did not include me). I'm okay with that; I've had a severance offer on the table for six years and I've come to the point where I've accepted that I'm not really "god's gift" to the business... so, yesterday I took the offer, I turned the page. Now, TV. We've been coming to TV since 2012. Watched a TV commercial on Fox's Hannity, next thing we knew we were on the all-too-familar "life-style visit"... drinking TV cool-aid. After several years of renting, bought a "starter" home in 2016; been back and forth ever since... Now, TV's no longer a back and forth destination, it's going to be home. Next step? Another old story, thinning the massive accumulation of "stuff" to a respectable and reasonable TV size that fits our new TV life. That job looks to be daunting. It seems I can face (enjoy and settle into) a sunny Florida life, but "thinning" that accumulation of a life-time of stuff seems more than daunting; it feels absolutely paralyzing... If I did anything wrong in the past, it was certainly rooted in the madness of saving everything, and I mean everything... and I heaped curses on myself even more by having a Northern home with way-too-much storage space! While things are not "hoarder" looking, but now, I feel like I need "American Pickers" to thin my heard, but fear I'll only say "Not For Sale" to every offer... While I was perfectly happy to keep the stock-plie of everything, shifting back and forth from North to South, but now? For the first time in my life, it's where-to-start that stymies... It's not really things that matter, it's the memories attached to the things... You sit down with a box and suddenly you are transported to another time and place, to your younger self, your growing family, all too many Christmas's past... and then it hits you, and hits you hard; it's all too precious, how could I possibly separate the things from the memories? How could I let go of any of it? And now to you, oh wise and sage TVers... while I think I've got a handle on what may be the other two retirement "issues" (no longer working, leaving friends and family), I could really use, and welcome, any and all wisdoms on this "stuff" transition thing.
I/we had a long time to plan-a year or two.

I sold a lot of stuff on eBay-thousands of dollars worth.
I discovered that the cost of our long distance move in the end came down to what they do not tell you, the tariff rate-number filed with government regulators-pound per distance. It came to .57 per pound. That item weighs about...... Is it worth moving?

We did four garage sales and sold about 6,000 worth of stuff. Money is far lighter to carry then STUFF.

There are things that I wish I had taken with us BUT, storage space is limited. One of the things I sorely miss was our BASEMENT. A basement in Central Florida will shortly be an indoor swimming pool-so forget it.

You will, OF COURSE, make some mistakes. Stuff you will wish you took and stuff you wish you didn't take.

If, you have not yet, sold your previous home that for us and I think for most was an adventure. You plan it all out.
You allow ???????? to sell the place and then discover it is not going as YOU had planed. Some people sit with a house for a year or more. I had it all PLANNED-six months to sell. It sold in one week-full price CASH. GOOD NEWS-yes, but. I was still packing with the guys loading the moving van. They, left a few things that I had PLANNED on taking. TRUTH-they did not take the full sized totem pole I had carved. Go figure.

In the end, it is one step at a time. There is the oft suggested three pile system. Pile one-PACK. Pile two-THROW OUT. Pile three-SELL. Pile four-give away. WANTED TO SEE IF YOU COULD COUNT. I packed 250 boxes. About TEN really full car loads to goodwill. About 10-15 full car loads to our town dump.

It is a BIG job. NOW is a good time to start.

GOOD LUCK-BE CALM.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:56 AM

This is an interesting thread to which we can all relate. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2018, 11:12 AM

We are getting ready to move out tomorrow. Still need to finish clearing out the basement and garage. I feel like I am in the twilight zone! Thank you to all who have shared their stories. You have been my inspiration.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:21 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
I/we had a long time to plan-a year or two.

I sold a lot of stuff on eBay-thousands of dollars worth.
I discovered that the cost of our long distance move in the end came down to what they do not tell you, the tariff rate-number filed with government regulators-pound per distance. It came to .57 per pound. That item weighs about...... Is it worth moving?

We did four garage sales and sold about 6,000 worth of stuff. Money is far lighter to carry then STUFF.

There are things that I wish I had taken with us BUT, storage space is limited. One of the things I sorely miss was our BASEMENT. A basement in Central Florida will shortly be an indoor swimming pool-so forget it.

You will, OF COURSE, make some mistakes. Stuff you will wish you took and stuff you wish you didn't take.

If, you have not yet, sold your previous home that for us and I think for most was an adventure. You plan it all out.
You allow ???????? to sell the place and then discover it is not going as YOU had planed. Some people sit with a house for a year or more. I had it all PLANNED-six months to sell. It sold in one week-full price CASH. GOOD NEWS-yes, but. I was still packing with the guys loading the moving van. They, left a few things that I had PLANNED on taking. TRUTH-they did not take the full sized totem pole I had carved. Go figure.

In the end, it is one step at a time. There is the oft suggested three pile system. Pile one-PACK. Pile two-THROW OUT. Pile three-SELL. Pile four-give away. WANTED TO SEE IF YOU COULD COUNT. I packed 250 boxes. About TEN really full car loads to goodwill. About 10-15 full car loads to our town dump.

It is a BIG job. NOW is a good time to start.

GOOD LUCK-BE CALM.
Sorry to hear about the Totem Pole But really appreciate your experience. We are planning to sell this Spring and have been working on downsizing, but need to pick up the pace! Looking forward to warmer weather as our wind chills were negative this morning!
Old 01-01-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll With It View Post
We are getting ready to move out tomorrow. Still need to finish clearing out the basement and garage. I feel like I am in the twilight zone! Thank you to all who have shared their stories. You have been my inspiration.
What a great way to start the New Year!!
Closed Thread

Tags
things, years, home, back, offer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.