Toilet grab bar in wall

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2021, 08:49 AM

Attaching to metal studs
is not sufficient. This is why I do not like metal studs.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
You could call this TOTV sponsor and have them install it.

Grab Bars and More

...or you can go to Lowe's and buy one of these for $18, I have one and it works great! Lowe's at Trailwinds has 26 in stock in aisle 40 bay 18. This is a 12" and they also have a 16" model.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/MHI-Safe-er...ab-Bar/3111155

The Villages Florida
There is no tile where the toilets are located unless they added tile at some point . The OP was asking for the hand bar for the toilet area.

Most of the decorative tile I’ve seen have a textured surface so the suction cup devices probably won’t work very well :....
Old 01-21-2021, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
There are ADA regulations for grab bars near toilets if you want to sell your house as ADA compliant. If you don’t care, you can do what you want, but grab bars do need very secure backing. If you have a concrete block wall, is the drywall simply glued to the block, or are there steel studs between the block and the drywall. Attaching grab bars directly to concrete block can be done, but you will need special tools and anchors. If you have tile attached to backer board attached to steel studs, or drywall attached to steel studs, there are some difficulties. The studs are usually 16” or 24” apart, center to center, so you may need a bar that is 24” or 16” or 32” or 48” long. Do you know how to find steel studs in a wall, including exactly where each edge is (a stud finder is useful but not always exact)? You will need at least two special long heavy duty screws for each stud, and you will need to drill the pilot holes just right. If you are off a little, the screws will just go through drywall. Toggle bolts are not strong enough in drywall. There is more government info here. I will paste in a couple of drawings from this below. https://www.huduser.gov/portal/publi...ng/fairch6.pdf

Ideally, wood blocking for these bars should be installed before the drywall goes on, but it isn’t easy to do that with steel studs. If I were installing a safe grab bar in my own wall, I would buy a piece of red oak four inches wide, 3/4” thick, and the length of the wall. I would screw this to all the steel studs with two heavy screws. I could then attach a grab bar with three screws at each end anywhere I wanted along the oak. (I would also sand and finish the wood before screwing it to the studs.) This is a very strong way to install a grab bar. I would do this myself, but not everyone has the tools. The oak can also be painted the color of your other trim.
Re: red oak
I just recently bought some at Lowes 8 inch wide. I was shocked 7.50 a foot. I wish I did not listen to my wife when she told me to get rid of all the hardwood I had in my basement. Today, it is priced like gold.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:35 AM
Send a message via AIM to Tsalla Apopka
Default Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Attaching to metal studs
is not sufficient. This is why I do not like metal studs.
I weigh 240 lbs and have connected to metal studs and it works very well. Solid and if you use the correct anchors will hold.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:04 AM

I have two vacuum type grab bars in our walk-in shower for the past two years. I have found that they lose the vacuum after a few months. They work find most of the time. I make it a point to reset them at least once a month..
As far as screw on type holding bars. At lease one screw on each end must be securely screwed into a wood stud.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:21 AM

I use Grab Bars and More. Not expensive, on time, and cleans up area when done. I've had one bar replaced, and added two others due to a fall. Ryan, 352-630-9256. He is licensed and insured.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:25 AM
Veteran member

Do not use the suction cup grab bars, they can come lose without warning. What we have used and have lasted for 3 years without any problems was a grab bar attached with adhesive. We have installed 3 and my wife actually pulls herself out of her showering chair without fear. You can purchase these bars at Lowes or Home Depot
Old 01-21-2021, 11:43 AM

I just had a handyman put two in my shower and he said they need to go in studs. He did a great job and should I need to grab I’m sure they would support me. Anchors and screws maybe not.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:47 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

Myself being a master plumber and plumbing teacher retired when I install any and all grab bars. I locater the studs first on the area were I am going to install the grab bars usually 16" on center remove a small section of wall and tile being careful not to break the tiles. This section will be replaces with new sheet rock and saved tiles, install in between these studs a piece of !/2" plywood usually 17" by 18" make sure you nail the piece that is 17" long on the studs or use inside wood wood bracers to cut 17" pieces to fit the inside space of the stud after that is done fit the 18" piece into the space making sure that itis nailed on to the ply wood spacer after that is done replace the cut out walls. This area were you are installing the grab bars must be determined before you do anything and planned out. I have installed hundred of grab bars in this fashion. Good Luck
Old 01-21-2021, 12:08 PM

You don't want them to.lose suction just as you are getting up. Hire someone who knows what to do. That's what I did. Yes I have one of those with suction in the shower and they do lose suction. Fortunately I also have a grab bar properly installed .
Old 01-21-2021, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,733 Times in 5,252 Posts

For most people, this is not a DIY project. If you don't install the grab bar properly, you can create a dangerous safety hazard in your house.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:31 PM

Aloha Larry the handyman knew what to do and installed mine. I called warranty, who referred me to builder who referred me to framer who said: stucco homes have wood studs on outer wall 16" on center, and steel studs 24" on center in interior walls. (designer built in 2019) As toilet is on outer wall and grab bar was 24", both ends didn't line up with studs, but Aloha Larry knew exactly what to do.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:41 PM

I used one of the suction ones at my daughters getting out of the tub/shower combo and as I grabbed it, it let loose and we both went flying. I had Grab Bar Bob install them in my previous home here in the Villages. Very sturdy.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:12 PM
Default Suction grab bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
You could call this TOTV sponsor and have them install it.

Grab Bars and More

...or you can go to Lowe's and buy one of these for $18, I have one and it works great! Lowe's at Trailwinds has 26 in stock in aisle 40 bay 18. This is a 12" and they also have a 16" model.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/MHI-Safe-er...ab-Bar/3111155

The Villages Florida
Those suction grab bars are dangerous! I’m surprised they’re on the market!
Old 01-24-2021, 06:40 PM

This won't work for stucco (sorry OP), but it (theoretically) would work for nearly anything else.

Google GRIPP-Series-Mounting-Hardware and the first search result should be titled

"Patented ADA compliant no drilling required Grab Bar"

Now a question for you experts out there...

When attaching something like this to tile, what's to say that the tile doesn't let go of the wall with that kind of weight pulling on it?

I mean, the tile is only glued on as well.

Interested in your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Naoautorizada; 01-24-2021 at 07:27 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
toilet, grab, bar, wall, anchors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.