toilet recommendation

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2020, 03:18 AM
Default toilet recommendation

Hi folks,
I'm redoing my bathroom and I want to buy new plumbing including a shower cabin and toilet. As for a shower cabin, I decided to buy Ove Decors Breeze. Share your opinion on it. I had a shower cab with a lid closed above before, I've never had an open-type shower cabin, is it ok for the ceiling? As for the toilet, I want to buy a toilet without a water tank above, like 4th or 5th option from this url. And one more question for someone who has a toilet like one of those, are there any troubles with them? My old throne was easy to fix if it was leaking from time to time. Waiting for you response.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Open top showers enclosures are the norm. You rely on bath vent fans like any bathroom for removing moisture.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:22 AM

This is probably a vacuum assist toilet. The tank is closed so when it fills it pressurized the water. When it flushes, the water in the bowl is pushed up to increase the surface area and create a vacuum in tge drain line below. The effect is ugly. But, by raising the water level and creating an air pocket underneath, the small amount of water used rushes out carrying the waste with it. Some of the remaining air pressure may be used to make the jets of water that wash the bowl work more efficiently.

The purpose is to save water - I have a couple problems with that. First, the treatme t plants will have to add water if there isnt enough in the watse stream to meet the BOD of treatment. Second, you pay a government to competently provide you with water. Why is cutting your use your problem? 7/10 of the earth is covered with water. Figure it out. Finally, it's a crapper, its just wrong to make it high tech.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenR View Post
Hi folks,
I'm redoing my bathroom and I want to buy new plumbing including a shower cabin and toilet. As for a shower cabin, I decided to buy Ove Decors Breeze. Share your opinion on it. I had a shower cab with a lid closed above before, I've never had an open-type shower cabin, is it ok for the ceiling? As for the toilet, I want to buy a toilet without a water tank above, like 4th or 5th option from this url. And one more question for someone who has a toilet like one of those, are there any troubles with them? My old throne was easy to fix if it was leaking from time to time. Waiting for you response.

My view- to quote you,"My old throne was easy to fix." In the old days, not that long ago, you had universal parts. They were effective and cheap. Today, you are led to buy a toilet made by xxxxxxx when it fails, they all do sooner or later you need to buy proprietary parts and hope the company still makes the part and you can find it or need to buy it mail order. Was not that long ago that ballcocks were made of brass. You could, though no one bothered to do it, take it apart, replace the rubber parts and use it for another 5-10 years. In our previous home, wife insisted on a new water saver toilet.
I insisted on keeping mine a 1950 classic. Mine used far more water but it never stuffed and one flush was fine. Hers used 1/3 less water, stuffed regularly so she would flush it 3-4 times water saving-none.
We have the Kohler, came with the house. It does use less water than my missed 1950
classic and honestly it works well. Buying a toilet is truly funny. Ask why this one is $50 and that one is $500 the reply is the color, the shape or is uses a pint less water. A collector item? A classic? Shoulda saved my 1950 classic.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Surprisingly, a lot of people in The Villages don't know that the Kohler toilets that the builder installs have two flush modes. If you press the handle and release it immediately, it only uses about a half gallon of water. But, if you press and hold the handle for a few seconds, it uses about 1.6 gallons of water. Federal law requires toilets to use no more than 1.6 gallons per flush.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:19 PM

Kohler ADA is the replacement toilet I had installed in my rental. Easy to maintain and find parts for.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:14 AM

When I replaced my toilets several years ago I purchased the new toilets that have a larger flush valve opening in the tank. I believe they were American Standard, who make 2 versions, each having an enlarged flush valve. I prefer the smaller of the enlarged valves. I have had no clogs at all.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:42 AM

Toto makes great toilets & very hard to clog
Old 01-18-2020, 12:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenR View Post
Hi folks,
TOTO is probably the best brand today. The fourth one in your list is a TOTO. It is also quite expensive for a toilet. I would suggest going with a low profile tank. Both American Standard and Kohler has this style.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:10 PM
Default Original Reply incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRussell View Post
This is probably a vacuum assist toilet. The tank is closed so when it fills it pressurized the water. When it flushes, the water in the bowl is pushed up to increase the surface area and create a vacuum in tge drain line below. The effect is ugly. But, by raising the water level and creating an air pocket underneath, the small amount of water used rushes out carrying the waste with it. Some of the remaining air pressure may be used to make the jets of water that wash the bowl work more efficiently.

The purpose is to save water - I have a couple problems with that. First, the treatme t plants will have to add water if there isnt enough in the watse stream to meet the BOD of treatment. Second, you pay a government to competently provide you with water. Why is cutting your use your problem? 7/10 of the earth is covered with water. Figure it out. Finally, it's a crapper, its just wrong to make it high tech.
As a licensed wastewater operator the above reply is incorrect. Plenty of water is added to this toilets waste once it reaches the sewer main line where everyone's waste stream flows before it reaches the plant.
Even running the faucet to wash your hands adds plenty of water. The only problem with this type of toilet is that it uses so much less water that your flush may not clear your home line, sit and dry out and then make a line clog within your home line much more possible. Make sure you run enough water when you wash your hands and you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
As a licensed wastewater operator
WOW, it is absolutely amazing thinking about what someone must be licensed to do. I mean this in all seriousness, no joking intended, what exactly does a wastewater operator (licensed or otherwise) do?

Anyway, to go back on topic, we added 2 "comfort height elongated seat" TOTO's (based on how everyone said they were the best) when we moved in here 3 yrs ago because the "stock" ones were so low to the ground I felt like my knees were in my chin. We opted for the "cheaper" model so like any brand the BRAND NAME doesn't necessarily make it the best it's the model you choose. The original parts they use inside are virtually impossible to find in a local store but can be substituted for more "standard" parts or ordered on line for big bucks
Old 01-21-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
WOW, it is absolutely amazing thinking about what someone must be licensed to do. I mean this in all seriousness, no joking intended, what exactly does a wastewater operator (licensed or otherwise) do?
You need to tour a wastewater treatment plant sometime. There are numerous huge tanks with lots of pumps and machinery in constant operation. Someone needs to monitor the chemicals added and the flow into and out of the tanks all the time and make adjustments as needed.

Much of it is automated, but as with any system, someone knowledgeable has to be there to see that things are running as they should and know what to do if something fails. Maintaining equipment and keeping the "product" flowing and proper disposal of the residue is a 24/7 job. And of course the reports required for this line of work are considerable.
Closed Thread

Tags
toilet, shower, buy, cabin, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.