Old 03-12-2024, 07:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,323 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
I went brownwood to mco yesterday. Three tolls
That is $6.15.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:23 AM
Thumbs up Just did that route yesterday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
If you are coming from MCO, get the Visitor Toll Pass at the airport. You rent it for $10 but that is refunded when you return it so there is no cost for the transponder - you only pay for the tolls. A friend of mine used it and said it was real easy. And much cheaper than buying the rental car toll pass!!!!

Visitor Toll Pass - Welcome

If you are going to Brownwood, you would exit at Wildwood 301 (or if you wanted to see the new area under construction, you would exit at 296 route 470) and take SR 44 to Brownwood - about a mile.

I did the numbers and it is $6.15 each way - if I did it right.

SunPass Toll Calculator
Tolls totalled $7.42 each way when I went from Wildwood to the airport yesterday. I don't know how much extra driving you will do, but make sure you keep the documentation as you will have a SunPass account created and the balance will be there for your next trip.

Welcome !
Old 03-13-2024, 06:48 AM

the rental cars all subscribe to Sunpass by license plate, so even if you have your own Sunpass, the rental will trigger the charge as well. When I rent a car, all rentals force me to purchase Sunpass at $10 per day or pay $50 (yes $50) per toll if I do not subscribe to their plan. I visit for a few weeks and $10 X 30 days is $300 for one round trip to the Airport. So I decline the toll package and take the non-toll route to the Villages, which adds 40 minutes but worth it.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrnnr View Post
Coming down for our second LSV next week and this time I want to use the Turnpike with a rental.

I am going to get one of those non transponder prepaid Sun Passes.

Can someone tell me the Toll cost from MCO to Brownwood, and maby what exit that is?

We may want to travel around more this time also so I am wondering how much I should prepay. I was thinking about $50

Does that seem about right?

No Idea what the tolls are in that area and how many?

Thanks,

Tim
that's pretty backwards, all the rentals have toll by plate. It's far easier to go that way. prepayfails so many times. since there are 2 rates, you need to keep you eeye on that. should be around 7.80 or s for that route. ut as I said toll by plate will do it all.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:59 AM

I hired a car from Enterprise at Lake Sumter for two 2days in February. We drove to the airport and back to drop one of our guests off on one day and did shopping locally on the 2nd.
Total costs were $9.90 for convenience charge. They charge $4.95 per day the car is rented - up to $24.95.
Toll charges were $16.94 so $8.47 each way.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmrocano View Post
the rental cars all subscribe to Sunpass by license plate, so even if you have your own Sunpass, the rental will trigger the charge as well. When I rent a car, all rentals force me to purchase Sunpass at $10 per day or pay $50 (yes $50) per toll if I do not subscribe to their plan. I visit for a few weeks and $10 X 30 days is $300 for one round trip to the Airport. So I decline the toll package and take the non-toll route to the Villages, which adds 40 minutes but worth it.
Rental contracts are strange so this could be right, but it doesn't make sense.

You don't "subscribe to Sunpass by license plate." Sunpass has toll-by-plate but that applies to any vehicle that does not have a transponder. Someone visiting from Kentucky doesn't need to subscribe to Sunpass by license plate, if they go through a toll booth without a transponder then their plate will be read and they will be billed.

If I go through a toll booth without a transponder then I expect my plate to be read and a bill sent to my home. This doesn't happen because I always have the transponder with me. The toll reader sees the transponder, perhaps reads the account information to see if the plate on the vehicle matches the plate on the account, then takes the toll out of the account.

It would be odd if the toll readers did not respond the same way to a rental car. If no transponder is present then the plate is read and a bill is sent to the rental company. The visitor from Kentucky will have left a long time before the bill arrives so the rental company must collect money up front to cover any tolls - that might be the $30/day or $50 penalty. However, if the visitor from Kentucky has a transponder (EZ-Pass, Sunpass Pro, or any of other valid versions) and has added the plate from the rental car onto his account then it ought to act just as it does with mine - read the transponder, read the plate, make the match, and deduct from the account.

I haven't tried using a transponder in a rental car and I haven't talked with anyone who has. Rental agreements are odd (it's hard to believe they are actually legal) so strange things may happen. But, it doesn't make sense that the toll booths would treat a rental with a transponder any different than they would treat any other vehicle with a transponder.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-13-2024, 07:18 AM

[QUOTE=roadrnnr;2310175]Coming down for our second LSV next week and this time I want to use the Turnpike with a rental.

Can someone tell me the Toll cost from MCO to Brownwood, and maby what exit that is?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tim - I just received my bill from Hertz this morning from my rental a couple weeks ago it was $37.98 (that includes the $19.98 Convenience Fee for them paying the tolls on my behalf). I'll never forgot my SunPass ever again :-)
Old 03-13-2024, 08:35 AM

I did try . I was unable to add rental to my Sonoma’s since the plate was registered to an account already
Old 03-13-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrnnr View Post
Coming down for our second LSV next week and this time I want to use the Turnpike with a rental.

We may want to travel around more this time also so I am wondering how much I should prepay. I was thinking about $50

Does that seem about right?

No Idea what the tolls are in that area and how many?

Thanks,

Tim
The one way toll is about $7,there are 2 exits both marked the Villages, and only place $25 on transponder it will recharge as needed you must give them a credit card.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:13 AM

Ok Here's The way I understand it from Avis's
Web Site, I am renting from Avis this time.

You can reject their toll package and use sun pass toll by plate.

I just enter the rental Plate Number on my sun pass account when I get there.

Then when it reads the plate it will charge my account.

Hope that is right
Old 03-13-2024, 09:58 AM
Default Tolls with hire cars

Unless something has changed in the last couple of months I have regularly hired an Avis car at Orlando Airport and driven to The Villages using my own SunPass with no other charges. Avis ask if you want to pay their fees or have your own SunPass. I always decline and use my SunPass Pro. On the hire car windshield there is their SunPass device but you have to make sure it’s turned to OFF otherwise you will get charged. You do have to ensure the hire car registration is entered into your own SunPass account at the airport before leaving and this picks up the charge provided the fixed one on the windshield is turned off or you get charged twice!

Quote:
Old 03-13-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda selby View Post
Unless something has changed in the last couple of months I have regularly hired an Avis car at Orlando Airport and driven to The Villages using my own SunPass with no other charges. Avis ask if you want to pay their fees or have your own SunPass. I always decline and use my SunPass Pro. On the hire car windshield there is their SunPass device but you have to make sure it’s turned to OFF otherwise you will get charged. You do have to ensure the hire car registration is entered into your own SunPass account at the airport before leaving and this picks up the charge provided the fixed one on the windshield is turned off or you get charged twice!
Thanks That's the understanding I have to

Is there a switch or something on their transponder in the Avis Car?
Old 03-13-2024, 11:46 AM

I use EZPass which works the same as SunPass, and the language clearly states I can use it in a rental car without doing anything special (e.g. registering the rental on the car to my account). Not sure about rental company's limitations on using your own Pass. When I've flown into MCO, I usually get the rental car with their Pass, compared to what I'm spending on a trip, the Pass is a pretty trivial expense and a great convenience.

Direct quote from EZ-Pass
"Should I add my rental car information to my E-ZPass account?
Do not add rental car information to your E-ZPass account. However, you can use your E-ZPass Tag in any vehicle of the same class. Please ensure that your E-ZPass Tag is properly mounted as per installation instructions in all vehicles in which the Tag is used. A Tag that is not mounted properly may prevent the Tag from being read in the lane. If your Tag does not read, you will be subject to the terms of your car rental agreement that apply to E-ZPass usage, toll transactions and/or violation transactions."
Old 03-13-2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I’m doubting they all force you to do that as when I rent from Enterprise for example they give you the option of charge by plate for a small fee as someone else below said.

Tags
mco, time, toll, brownwood, travel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.