Toll road transponders for snowbirds (Uni vs EXPass vs SunPass)

Old 01-10-2024, 02:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Hi all,
I don't see any recent forum threads on this topic:

I have had a SunPass for years dedicated to toll road travel in Florida. I now believe I can cancel that account and solely use our EZPass?

The 2nd question is keeping our Ohio-based EZpass vs the interstate Uni transponder. Any input on that is appreciated.

Uni Pass vs E-ZPass: Comparing Toll Payment Systems
I've gotten into a bind twice, with EZPass and just took it off and put on a SunPass.

You can't park in some lots at Orlando Airport, without a SunPass and there are also issues with EZPass at Tampa Airport.

As someone else mentioned, you can get into trouble with (2) passes on your car.

I drive from NH to FL fairly frequently and never have a problem on the road with EZPass, but I have had problems in Northern states with SunPass.

I don't think there's an easy answer.
Old 01-10-2024, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

We had both and dropped Sun Pass. With the exception of the airports have had no differences between either.....our was a PA EZ Pass. The only reason we dropped SunPass was they wanted an upgrade to Pro for a charge while EZ Pass worked without an upgrade. I use EZ Pass through most of the States once a year and have had no issues.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-11-2024, 06:19 AM

Get it from the horse's mouth: Call them.

In the U.S. and Canada:
1-888-TOLL FLA (1-888-865-5352)
FAX: 1-888-265-1725 (except Canada)
Monday to Friday, 7:00AM - 7:00PM
Saturday, 8:30AM - 5:00PM
Closed Sundays
Old 01-11-2024, 06:41 AM

Agree. We now put our Sunpass in the glove compartment and wrap it with Aluminum foil..
Old 01-11-2024, 07:11 AM
Veteran member

I was sent a new EZ pass transponder, the transponder came in a silver cover plastic envelope and was instructed to keep it in the envelope if I was not using EZ pass in the state I was in. It seems this envelope protects it from being detected, this preventing you from being charged by two systems.
Old 01-11-2024, 07:47 AM

SunPass PRO works on EZPass in the northeast...MD, DE, NJ, NY....
Old 01-11-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

I have had a SunPass for years dedicated to toll road travel in Florida. I now believe I can cancel that account and solely use our EZPass?

The 2nd question is keeping our Ohio-based EZpass vs the interstate Uni transponder. Any input on that is appreciated.

I only have a Sunpass and travelled around the country this past summer and It worked almost everywhere (FL, around Charlotte, WV, PA and I-70 in KS I believe) except E470 in Colorado. I bought the suction cup pass so I can move it to other cars if necessary. Even in KS, the signs did not say SunPass but when I pulled thru the toll booth, the guy said I was good with the SunPass. The SunPass website says the SunPass Pr is good in 21 states. Since I live in FL, I like the times there are toll relief programs for various reasons. the SunPass website also says you get cheaper rates in FL than the other transponders… not 100% sure about that.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/tolls/tollsSunPass.shtml

Last edited by Janie123; 01-11-2024 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Have been using Illinois EZPass since before we moved here over a year ago and works great.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:10 AM
Default E-ZPass

I use my E-ZPass that I got in VA all the time in FL. BUT, if I am using Groome or any other transport company on my way to the airport and have my transponder in my bag because I need it where I am traveling to, I always wrap it in aluminum foil so I won't be charged as we travel in the van to/from the airport. I remove the foil when I arrive at my destination especially if I need my transponder for a rental car.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:34 AM

We use EZ-Pass. Just make sure the transponder matches the plate of the vehicle that it is in. We received a toll by plate bill when the transponder didn’t read properly and when I called I was told that was the reason we received the bill.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:42 AM

If an EZPass is used in a rental car would the rental company also charge you?

I am assuming rentals just use lic plate readings from the state, but if a EZpass registers as you go through would the rental company still get a bill to forward to you?
Old 01-11-2024, 10:50 AM

I have both a SunPass and EZ-Pass from the New York area. Last May, I received a notice for the EZ-Pass about a toll in Florida. It was for less than a dollar so I just let it go. However, I did make sure to remove the EZ-Pass from my car while in Florida. Last month, EZ-Pass picked up two tolls from Florida and SunPass did as well. How it did it without the transponder in the car is beyond me. I have written to EZ-Pass New York, shoed both the NY and Florida statements, but have not received any reply (I tried calling but the is a 40-minute wait to speak to someone).

Another problem is that outside of the immediate New York area EZ-Pass does not allow the discounted rate and charges the full rate. For example, the charges on my EZ-Pass for the Florida tolls were the full toll plate charge, not the discounted rate. Same in the NY area - I get the discounted rate for the river crossings and the NJ Turnpike but once I reach the Delaware Memorial Toll bridge all discounts are stopped. This continues through Maryland and the express lanes in I-95 around Washington. I know that the AAA looked into the matter but I have not heard anything conclusive.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:13 AM

We bought our Unipass transponders on Amazon for $15. It is accepted everywhere that EPass and E-Zpass is accepted. We have an online EPass account which we have reloaded as needed. Below are the states it includes:

Florida (including express lanes)
Maryland
Rhode Island
Indiana
Georgia
Delaware
Illinois
Minnesota
North Carolina
New Jersey
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Kentucky
Virginia
Pennsylvania
Maine
West Virginia
New York
Ohio

The other alternative is SunpassPro which gives you all the states on E-Zpass and EPass as well as a few more states like Kansas, Oklahoma, and parts of Texas. I have heard Sunpass has horrible customer service.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:14 AM
Default Summary of EZ Pass vs SunPass etc

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies. Here's a summary and I'll likely close this discussion:
  • If you have multiple transponders or are traveling in other transportation (airport shuttle), be sure to wrap your transponder in aluminum foil or protective pouch so that it does NOT record a toll.

• The EZ Pass transponder now works in Florida roads with the exception of some specific places including parking at the TPA and MCO (Orlando) airports. Therefore, in most cases, you can close your Florida SunPass account.
    Ref: https://www.sunpass.com/en/common/docs/fl_toll_map.pdf

• Each State "system" retains some level of funds from your bank account in advance and many state-provided EZ Pass systems have a monthly fee.
    Ref: E-ZPass Costs by State 2024
    Don't get an EX Pass from New Hampshire!

My specific interest is migrating away from an Ohio EZ Pass that adds $1.50 fee monthly (not a big deal) versus a one-time purchase from Uni that can replace my EZ pass for a fixed one-time purchase...ref: Uni — One Toll Transponder That’s Accepted in 18 States | Central Florida Expressway Authority
Old 01-11-2024, 11:22 AM

From what I understand, the EZ-Pass rates depend on which state you bought it from - don't know if you can change to another state. I also think you may need to only use it in the car it is registered for. Two things to be aware of.

Apparently Unipass can be used in various vehicles. (move the transponder to travel with you). Another thing to consider.

Tags
toll, road, ezpass, sunpass, uni

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.