Toll road transponders for snowbirds (Uni vs EXPass vs SunPass)

Old 01-11-2024, 12:42 PM
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Hi all,
Thanks for the replies....
My specific interest is migrating away from an Ohio EZ Pass that adds $1.50 fee monthly (not a big deal) versus a one-time purchase from Uni that can replace my EZ pass for a fixed one-time purchase...ref: Uni — One Toll Transponder That’s Accepted in 18 States | Central Florida Expressway Authority
You can get an EZ-Pass that has no initial purchase fee and no monthly fee. For example, Virginia.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:38 PM

There is a difference between EZ-Pass and E-Pass. My EZ-Pass from Ohio worked on all Florida toll roads except the Turnpike. I now have E-Pass, from the Central Florida Expressway Authority, which works on all east coast toll roads and the Florida Turnpike. E-Pass was more usable than EZ-Pass. Here is a link to their website:

E-PASS Purchase-Register-Reload
Old 01-11-2024, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Hi all,
I don't see any recent forum threads on this topic:

I have had a SunPass for years dedicated to toll road travel in Florida. I now believe I can cancel that account and solely use our EZPass?

The 2nd question is keeping our Ohio-based EZpass vs the interstate Uni transponder. Any input on that is appreciated.

Uni Pass vs E-ZPass: Comparing Toll Payment Systems
. We drive to PA with only an ez pass. I got rid of our sunpasses.
Old 01-12-2024, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Hi all,
I don't see any recent forum threads on this topic:

I have had a SunPass for years dedicated to toll road travel in Florida. I now believe I can cancel that account and solely use our EZPass?

The 2nd question is keeping our Ohio-based EZpass vs the interstate Uni transponder. Any input on that is appreciated.

Uni Pass vs E-ZPass: Comparing Toll Payment Systems
We have both, for the discounts and backup for misplacement (happened between cars)

use EZPASS MA for the MA discounts
use SunPass for the FL Discounts in FL.

The battery life is about 7-8 years, so they will fail eventually, and you can get a free one (usually, they may decide to charge in the future)

For those who snowbird / travel, pick the state where you spend the most in tolls and get that state's transponder if going with a single one. The Sunpass app works very well to change plates if flying in and using a rental car and your own transponder, prefer that one for traveling to the EZ pass

Once you register the car and plate, and you forget to put the transponder up, or it falls off or the transponder battery dies, your account is still billed based on the plate reader, so no bill in the mail but no discounts. (first hand experience and confirmation call with FL DOT when our MA EZ Pass battery died during a trip between MA and FL)

good luck. .
Old 03-07-2024, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I believe I am correct about this, but some of the older SunPasses may not be compatible with the EZPass system. I know I needed a new SunPass Pro transponder. Check the SunPass website.
Yes...you are correct. We purchased a SunPass Pro specifically for our trips back to New England. SunPass Pro works everywhere. The SunPass Pro mounts with the suction cups and we remove it when we return to Florida.

We access our SunPass account and deactivate the permanent mini SunPass that is stuck behind the rear view mirror. There is a simple pulldown box on the website to deactivate any transponder. The morning we leave we deactivate the permanent one and stick up the SunPass Pro. This way we will not get charged twice.

Obviously, when we return the SunPass Pro goes into the desk and we "re-activate" the regular credit card size SunPass mini permanently mounted behind the rearview mirror.

TIP: Remember to deselect the SHOW ACTIVE TRANSPONDERS button on the Sun Pass website (it is at the top right) so you can see the transponders to activate or the site will "hides" the deactivated transponders.

Easy-Peasy.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	SunPass.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	103234  
Old 03-07-2024, 03:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgowan13 View Post
Yes...you are correct. We purchased a SunPass Pro specifically for our trips back to New England. SunPass Pro works everywhere. The SunPass Pro mounts with the suction cups and we remove it when we return to Florida.

We access our SunPass account and deactivate the permanent mini SunPass that is stuck behind the rear view mirror. There is a simple pulldown box on the website to deactivate any transponder. The morning we leave we deactivate the permanent one and stick up the SunPass Pro. This way we will not get charged twice.

Obviously, when we return the SunPass Pro goes into the desk and we "re-activate" the regular credit card size SunPass mini permanently mounted behind the rearview mirror.

TIP: Remember to deselect the SHOW ACTIVE TRANSPONDERS button on the Sun Pass website (it is at the top right) so you can see the transponders to activate or the site will "hides" the deactivated transponders.

Easy-Peasy.
Why not deactivate the "regular" SunPass permanently and work exclusively off the SunPass Pro?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-07-2024, 08:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by contiki98 View Post
There is a difference between EZ-Pass and E-Pass. My EZ-Pass from Ohio worked on all Florida toll roads except the Turnpike. I now have E-Pass, from the Central Florida Expressway Authority, which works on all east coast toll roads and the Florida Turnpike. E-Pass was more usable than EZ-Pass. Here is a link to their website:

E-PASS Purchase-Register-Reload
Odd, our PA EZ Pass works on all FL toll roads including the FL Turnpike. E-Pass provided no advantage, Sunpass provided no advantage. Downside is if you use Tampa or Orlando airports it doesn't work in their parking areas but, we never take our car to those airports so no issue. I travel through almost all the EZ Pass states once a year and have never had an issue, which was the intent of the revenue sharing agreements. I canceled Sunpass because I couldn't see an advantage to pay to upgrade to Pro. So far, no issues anywhere.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-11-2024, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Why not deactivate the "regular" SunPass permanently and work exclusively off the SunPass Pro?
The SunPass mini is permanently affixed to the windshield (we have one in each vehicle).

The SunPass Pro is portable--so we can use it on whichever car we take north--we swap it out and deactivate the mini.

We also loan it out to out-of-state visitors so they can use it in their rental car while they are visiting (and that way we don't have to drive them everywhere :-)

We also use the SunPass Pro on those odd trips we take on the east coast when we use a rental car. Easy to update the plate on the app....

When we purchased the pro ONLY came with the suctions cup mount. It works out quite well and it is very versatile.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:20 AM

I have an easypass but plan to get a sunpass and cancel the essy pass. I belive they both cover the same hightways.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:59 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
...I have heard Sunpass has horrible customer service.
I have a SunPass Pro & from personal experience the customer service is excellent.
Old 03-14-2024, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
I have a SunPass Pro & from personal experience the customer service is excellent.
Same experience with customer service here and I find it works in more places (not Houston)

Tags
toll, road, ezpass, sunpass, uni

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.