The Tone of TOTV and A Bit of Boomer's Bio

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2021, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Oh please the Buffaloes were not going to be here forever. When I first got here they were next to gas station on a not very built up 466 being fed endless amounts of junk food, then they were moved yes there were some complaints but they would have been moved for buildings anyway. The Buffalo just like cows are used to make taxes on land in urban areas cheaper as agriculture land, before they are built on . Orlando developers had a herd of cows that they moved from place to place as they bought up land for future development. I’ve heard the Buffalo are up in the prairie area near Gainesville I’m sure there much happier and healthier now that there not munching on all those snacks and not having cameras stuck in there faces

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 02-20-2021 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Missed word
Old 02-20-2021, 12:34 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

In regards to the show The Good Doctor (and others like it), I embrace the idea of showing real life situations that may make me question my own potential prejudices, in the never-ending journey to becoming a better human being. Of all the wonderful rights we have in this country, nowhere does it say that we have the "right" - to never be uncomfortable.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Nope, definitely the TV industry (Hollyweird).
I thought that the bulk of the TV shows were filmed in NYC and most movies were filmed in Hollywood. Maybe today there is a blurring of where TV is primarily shot? I really am curious. I don't know for sure?
Old 02-20-2021, 12:45 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Boomer, Boomer................Where is Boomer.
Started a thread wishing for the old days & has not been back to enjoy the almost 150 posts related and unrelated to today & the good old days.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:52 PM
Veteran member

Start daily post maximum today.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Roy Rogers was cancelled 4 years before I was born. It hasn't been relevant since 1957. Most homes now have indoor plumbing, even in rural areas. Oh and communicating with your loved ones can now be done instantly even if the loved one isn't home to answer the landline phone.

The world has evolved. White people are depicted as being friends with black people on TV now. Chinese people aren't only cast as the laundry shop owners anymore. Baseball players come in all shapes, sizes, colors, nationalities, origins, and sexual preferences. And yes - consenting adults of all varieties on TV kiss. The TV studios want to make sure that ALL the advertisers' potential customers are represented.

That is commerce. When people evolve, the media has to evolve with it. The Puritans are the vast minority, and the vast minority doesn't have as much buying power as the vast majority. This is capitalism at work. The opposite would be communism. I'm okay with capitalism.
Let's hear it for capitalism. Yeah! The TV media aims toward the younger under 25 crowd because they spend more. So, the programming and cultural attitudes reflected are about that group's lives mostly. The baby boomer domination of culture is over! We are only important because we vote a lot. Some specific media and movies are directed towards us. The Villages is an island of rock and roll and older people and ideas. And this Villages island is even becoming younger, Soon rock and roll will be played less and less on Village radio! We will all go the way of the Dodo and the buffalo here in the Villages! Gone and a slowly vanishing memory.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Let's hear it for capitalism. Yeah! The TV media aims toward the younger under 25 crowd because they spend more. So, the programming and cultural attitudes reflected are about that group's lives mostly. The baby boomer domination of culture is over!
I understand what you are attempting to point out...............but your ages are wrong. Under 25 still don't have the earning power and the actual population is lower than the baby boomers who spend more than the sub-25's.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
I thought that the bulk of the TV shows were filmed in NYC and most movies were filmed in Hollywood. Maybe today there is a blurring of where TV is primarily shot? I really am curious. I don't know for sure?
Georgia seems to show up a lot in movie and TV credits. They do look for tax breaks for their production companies.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevinmann View Post
Seems to me part of the cause of this (see subject line) is allowing in cognito and pseudo name posting. I once had a fellow Villager caution me against using my real name for fear that "people will go after you."

If I have something to say, I'm happy to use my name and if someone has a problem with my thoughts, let's have a discussion.

Otherwise, settle for name calling and outrageous remarks.
My husband says that anonymous people are not to be believed or taken seriously and that they can say anything and make up any kind of background.

But the post I made this morning on this thread is gone. It was asking what exactly is Boomer alluding to? I must have missed something. Was it a discussion of homosexuality or race, because she said something was "bigoted"???. I really do NOT know what the point is of the original post? What is upsetting Boomer??? or maybe WHO???

Someone sent me a P.M. just now saying that his post in answer to my question about this is gone too? What is it we cannot talk about or someone did talk about and it is deleted? What is Boomer talking about in this thread???????????????

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-20-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Oh please the Buffaloes were not going to be here forever. When I first got here they were next to gas station on a not very built up 466 being fed endless amounts of junk food, then they were moved yes there were some complaints but they would have been moved for buildings anyway. The Buffalo just like cows are used to make taxes on land in urban areas cheaper as agriculture land, before they are built on . Orlando developers had a herd of cows that they moved from place to place as they bought up land for future development. I’ve heard the Buffalo are up in the prairie area near Gainesville I’m sure there much happier and healthier now that there not munching on all those snacks and not having cameras stuck in there faces
Everything said here is probably mostly true. And the post was informative. My post only used the buffalo as an example - a starting point for a larger conversation about the value, the pros of GROWTH, and the cons, the negatives. In general, most people believe that GROWTH and the increased population that parallels that GROWTH are inherently GOOD. I say that if you imagine a graph with Growth or GNP on the Y, vertical axis and you put population growth on the X-axis - you would see a straight line from left to right. But, at some point, the curve would start to bend over to less increase of GROWTH on the Y-axis per given X=axis increase. Like a saturation effect.

If we try it again instead with "QUALITY OF LIFE" on the Y-axis we may get a curve shaped like a mountain where some point is the maximization of Quality and then downward sloping for the increasing population. This makes certain assumptions, of course. Like square mile area of the country or of TV Land or any somewhat self-contained state or country. It also assumes that raw materials and resources are held fairly constant.

So far as I know this is just a theoretical concept. But, it could all be calculated for a city, state, or the whole US with the available, powerful computers. Portland, Or. years ago drew a line around their city to keep quality of life high by limiting high rises and other methods. The city finally relented and went away from the idea due to, I imagine, PROFIT-making interests and lobbies. I do not know if anyone ever wrote a book about that Portland, Or. attempt? Or if any summaries or conclusions were ever drawn. But, it was a HISTORIC attempt at maximizing Quality of Life - over PROFITS.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I understand what you are attempting to point out...............but your ages are wrong. Under 25 still don't have the earning power and the actual population is lower than the baby boomers who spend more than the sub-25's.
Thanks for understanding my main point. I will try to check the age breakdowns for spending. I felt that I had read those stats somewhere before. It is possible that I remembered that wrong?
Old 02-20-2021, 02:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Georgia seems to show up a lot in movie and TV credits. They do look for tax breaks for their production companies.
Good point, I have heard that Ga. tries hard to encourage film crews. Crews go to New Zealand sometimes because every possible and beautiful landscape is available there.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks for understanding my main point. I will try to check the age breakdowns for spending. I felt that I had read those stats somewhere before. It is possible that I remembered that wrong?
It's interesting (going my memory of what I jus saw)..........20 million between 18 & 25, when there are almost 70 million babyboomers. We obviously have "all the net worth", but it seems like I saw we are spending twice the sub-25's.

But as you stated.........................slow vanishing memory.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
My husband says that anonymous people are not to be believed or taken seriously and that they can say anything and make up any kind of background.

But the post I made this morning on this thread is gone. It was asking what exactly is Boomer alluding to? I must have missed something. Was it a discussion of homosexuality or race, because she said something was "bigoted"???. I really do NOT know what the point is of the original post? What is upsetting Boomer??? or maybe WHO???

Someone sent me a P.M. just now saying that his post in answer to my question about this is gone too? What is it we cannot talk about or someone did talk about and it is deleted? What is Boomer talking about in this thread???????????????
Well, that is true. I personally was born on a moon of Saturn and am composed of both carbon and silicon cells. I can go anti- gravitational at will - but only when no one is looking.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:15 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Thank you.

Kind words from some. Umbrage taken by others.

I have read everybody’s posts.

I never thought I would see so many comments lined up for a say.

This thread has had its share of segues and side-conversations. I like when that happens — just like it does in real life conversations.

Thank you for being a part of the conversation.

Boomer.

Last edited by Boomer; 02-21-2021 at 01:51 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
totv, posts, time, kidding, stuff

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.