The Tone of TOTV and A Bit of Boomer's Bio

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2021, 10:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,078 Times in 2,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You know what's scary:

Stairway to Heaven has been an "Oldie" since 1985.
Jerry Garcia has been dead for over a quarter of a century.
The last THREE generations - have probably never heard of the song Seasons in the Sun.
Our daughter thinks Jerry Garcia is the guy who makes ice cream up in Vermont and has absolutely no idea about the Grateful Dead. Makes me feel very old : (
Old 02-20-2021, 11:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Our daughter thinks Jerry Garcia is the guy who makes ice cream up in Vermont and has absolutely no idea about the Grateful Dead. Makes me feel very old : (
You gotta school your gal then. The real scoop:

It's Ben & Jerry's and they have an ice cream flavor CHERRY Garcia.

She really needs to get the dish straight from the quart.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Interesting handful of posts & how they relay to Boomer's......... Almost not moving here; Homo's; White Honda; Smarter than me; Secondary teacher; Horrified; Emoji's.

I agree. I think some don't read ANY post and just launch unto their favorite subject. Don't you wonder how it is at home for them?
Old 02-21-2021, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
It's interesting (going my memory of what I jus saw)..........20 million between 18 & 25, when there are almost 70 million babyboomers. We obviously have "all the net worth", but it seems like I saw we are spending twice the sub-25's.

But as you stated.........................slow vanishing memory.
OK, I remembered a little more about that. The under 25 age group MUST buy more than older established households, who have already purchased long-lasting items. The under 25 demography also are STYLE leaders, which influence and change the buying habits of the plus 25 age groups. So, advertisers key-in on that younger group.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
You know what's scary:

Stairway to Heaven has been an "Oldie" since 1985.
If you want just say oldie, it would of been an old in '72 since it was released in '71 on LZ 4. However, the radio stations I was listening to in 1985 were still labeled rock radio, not classic rock. That wasn't a real station format yet, because rock was still being made, played and listened to. I remember hearing bands on rock stations like INXS, Motley Crue, REM Guns & Roses and AC/DC was still turning out hits. In the 80s I owned and operated a record store near Savannah Georgia.

It wasn't until the 90s and grunge replaced the hair bands of the 80s you would start seeing Classic Rock Radio stations.

In the 80s, 1985 for example, a rock station would sprinkle in late 60s and 70s songs into their regular airplay. The biggest flashback segment was usually at noon, most would give it a name like "Liquid Lunch" and we would of heard Zeppelin, Floyd and the like for a solid hour. That you can call say was an 'oldie' segment, but Stairway to Heaven was only 14 years old in '85.

That's me behind the counter of my store in 1985, it was a rock shop. We stocked and sold 90% of our inventory was rock music.

The Villages Florida

You could tell it was Georgia, I was between the Piggly Wiggly and K-Mart.

The Villages Florida

I couldn't fit the Billboard Top 200 on the wall, but I did have the top 174 every week and kept it up to date. Those are black light posters along the top. I used every inch of wall space to sell something and from the ceiling hung over 70 different rock tapestries that we sold.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-21-2021, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
If you want just say oldie, it would of been an old in '72 since it was released in '71 on LZ 4. However, the radio stations I was listening to in 1985 were still labeled rock radio, not classic rock. That wasn't a real station format yet, because rock was still being made, played and listened to. I remember hearing bands on rock stations like INXS, Motley Crue, REM Guns & Roses and AC/DC was still turning out hits. In the 80s I owned and operated a record store near Savannah Georgia.

It wasn't until the 90s and grunge replaced the hair bands of the 80s you would start seeing Classic Rock Radio stations.

In the 80s, 1985 for example, a rock station would sprinkle in late 60s and 70s songs into their regular airplay. The biggest flashback segment was usually at noon, most would give it a name like "Liquid Lunch" and we would of heard Zeppelin, Floyd and the like for a solid hour. That you can call say was an 'oldie' segment, but Stairway to Heaven was only 14 years old in '85.

That's me behind the counter of my store in 1985, it was a rock shop. We stocked and sold 90% of our inventory was rock music.

The Villages Florida

You could tell it was Georgia, I was between the Piggly Wiggly and K-Mart.

The Villages Florida
Hah! I have memories of a placed called Cutler's Records in New Haven, and the Music Box in the Hamden's "Magic Mile" commercial area. Got all my guitar strings and picks there, and most of our 45s and LPs. I remember an extra credit question on our Shakespeare II class in High school (which was at the end of that Magic Mile, which was exactly one mile long and consisted of 3 strip-malls: The Plaza, the Mart, and Caldor's plaza): name every store, in order, from the school to the other end of the mile. It was a 5-point extra credit so if you were at a C- grade, it could be enough to get you off academic probation that year.

Every stoner and jock in the class (which was most of us, fitting either one or both categories) could name every store, in order. There were over 40 stores total. The dweebs who never left school during open study or lunch all got them wrong. We were a fit bunch, us stoners and/or jocks, walking to school, walking 2 miles round-trip during study-hall/lunch, and then walking home from school every day.

Yes, I'm derailing this thread. In the spirit of returning civil "conversation" to the forum.

Anyway - By "Oldie" I mean the actual category of music, not specific longevity of a popular tune. Oldie with a capital O. As in "Golden Oldies" but in the case of Led Zep it'd be "Classic Rock" - which is one of several Oldies sub-categories. It didn't become "classic" until the 1980's when it ceased to be "new" or "top 50" and found solid footing in "Oldies" territory (which would be top 100 Classic Rock or Top 100 all-time).
Old 02-21-2021, 01:53 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Let's hear it for capitalism. Yeah! The TV media aims toward the younger under 25 crowd because they spend more.
Except for reverse mortgages which have been pitched by the likes of Tom Selleck and Henry Winkler to gullible seniors over the age of 62.

It just "Depends" (another mostly senior product) on what is being marketed.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 02-21-2021 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Hah! I have memories of a placed called Cutler's Records in New Haven, and the Music Box in the Hamden's "Magic Mile" commercial area. Got all my guitar strings and picks there, and most of our 45s and LPs. I remember an extra credit question on our Shakespeare II class in High school (which was at the end of that Magic Mile, which was exactly one mile long and consisted of 3 strip-malls: The Plaza, the Mart, and Caldor's plaza): name every store, in order, from the school to the other end of the mile.
I use to hang out at record shops, mostly they had them in department stores back then. I went to school in the 60s, so stoner was really a word yet, maybe beatnik was popular, like Maynard G Krebs.

Our biggest event was weekend nights going to the Steak 'n Shake Drive-in on 34th Street in St. Petersburg. They had 3 renta-cops just to direct all the traffic, usually about 200 cars trying to cruise the lot, most never pulled in or ordered food. The girls were on roller skates and they brought you your food. Collecting S & S glasses was my biggest hobby, their glasses were heavy glass with their logo, very neat. I just realized that photo of me at work was 35 years ago when I was 35 years old.

This was our hangout, the S & S Drive-in in St. Petersburg, it opened in '65. It's no longer there, not even as regular Steak 'n Shake.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-21-2021, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Except for reverse mortgages which have been pitched by the likes of Tom Selleck and Henry Winkler to gullible seniors over the age of 62.

It just "Depends" (another mostly senior product) on what is being marketed.
Do not understand why anyone in their right mind would buy a product pitched by a hollywood star?
Closed Thread

Tags
totv, posts, time, kidding, stuff

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.