Too Expensive to Live Here!

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2011, 03:53 PM

Thanks to all who listened to me vent!

The Amenities fee every month is what the $150 is. My husband won't play the 18's because of the extra fee. The $96 is for a year's worth on villages.net to go online and make his golf reservations, which they have you on because you can't get a tee time unless you are online with them...the catch 22. My husband also works 2 jobs so between us we have 5 (!) jobs. It just seems like you are charged for everything down here and companies can raise fees and prices on a whim because they know we have to have their services..like the villages.net. Just today, I got my Waste Management bill..it was $58 for the month of Dec-Jan and most of that was for garbage pickup. When we tried calling them to cancel, they said as long as we own property here, we are not allowed to cancel!! So, there's another gotcha bill...and they can raise their rates because you cannot cancel them.
I do still have my horse but I am boarding him for free. He is not an expense at all and is my therapy after working all day. I need that outlet or I would go crazy!!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Veteran member
Default I have stated this several times over various threads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianhorse59 View Post
I have lived here now for close to 2 years. I am a full time resident and moved here because my husband is a golf addict! I can honestly say that this is the most expensive place I have ever lived in my life and I came here from Illinois, the over tax em state. I realize alot of you sold property and moved down here with no mortgages on your backs but, we couldn't do that. We have a mortgage here but, I am talking about the over the top fees for everything. The monthly fee for golf is $150, trail fees, mandatory garbage fees at $55 a month (whether you have garbage picked up or not! If you own property, you pay it!), the internet for $96 a year, Progress Energy, which is the most $$ utility company I have ever had to deal with...on and on. I am young enough that I am able to work (I am 51) and I have to hold down 3 jobs to keep food on the table here.
Before people buy here, they need to research the fees. If I would have known that this place was so costly, I never would have moved here!
Mortgages and retirement are a very tough mix. Definitely NOT something i would attempt to do.
Wanabee future TVer
Old 01-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Sage

Quote:

The Amenities fee every month is what the $150 is. My husband won't play the 18's because of the extra fee. The $96 is for a year's worth on villages.net to go online and make his golf reservations, which they have you on because you can't get a tee time unless you are online with them...the catch 22. My husband also works 2 jobs so between us we have 5 (!) jobs. It just seems like you are charged for everything down here and companies can raise fees and prices on a whim because they know we have to have their services..like the villages.net. Just today, I got my Waste Management bill..it was $58 for the month of Dec-Jan and most of that was for garbage pickup. When we tried calling them to cancel, they said as long as we own property here, we are not allowed to cancel!! So, there's another gotcha bill...and they can raise their rates because you cannot cancel them.
I do still have my horse but I am boarding him for free. He is not an expense at all and is my therapy after working all day. I need that outlet or I would go crazy!!
$58 for trash? That seems very high. We pay about $16/month for trash, then there's the water and sewer bill as well as amenity fee included on our bill.

We had to pay for trash in CA whether we used the service or not. I'm sure it's the same in lots of places.

You can make golf reservations on the telephone. I've not done it, but many do or did, unless that is no longer available. It's easier to do online, I'll admit and for a couple of years, we had no fee because of the cable, Villages.net agreement.

I don't find that this community is any different from other places when it comes to price increases. They happen, we don't particularly like it, but we have to pay. Trash, electricity, water, sewer bills all were going up, and had done so in CA. I don't know if you'd be able to find any place where increases for services aren't happening. I find my expenses here are about the same as in southern CA.

I do hope things work out for you and honestly, I think you need your horse....relaxation is very important. Enjoy! And any time you need to vent, we're here to listen....
Old 01-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
..... The $96 is for a year's worth on villages.net to go online and make his golf reservations, which they have you on because you can't get a tee time unless you are online with them...the catch 22.
You don't need to spend 96/yr on villages.net, you can make tee times using their telephone reservation system which is free. It's just not as convenient as the on-line system.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

It still goes back to what it costs to live here. Everyone's mortgage is different. So take that payment which should include principal, interest, taxes, insurance and bond. No mortgage and you will still have bond or bond maintenance, taxes and insurance. Add to that $1000 a month for all other Villages expenses. (lawn, shrubs, water, sewer, trash, amenity fee, trail fee, villages.net, gas, electric, cable, internet, telephone, a few rounds of 18 hole golf, and probably a couple others) Add your food, medical auto and entertainment expense and you will have close to what it will cost you to live here. Everyone's total will be a little different, but should be close to your annual after tax income requirements.

You can cut the $1000 down to about $650 by doing your own lawn and shrubs, telephone tee times, lowering your heat and AC costs, walking the golf courses, no Daily Sun, and fixing things yourself. You have some control over food, medical, auto and entertainment. Look at all your income, figure taxes, deduct the above expenses and then make the decision on the type of life style you can afford.

I find it very affordable compared to other places I have lived. However I am sure there are places where the total cost of living will be less. I know people who live here very well on 50K a year. And a few below that who cut a lot of those expenses to the minimum. They are also quite happy living here.

The key to a real successful retirement in TV I believe is to lower your going in expenses to the minimum. Pay off the bond and the mortgage. Get the homestead exemption. Mow your own lawn, prune your shrubs, do as many of those things that you can do yourself. After all your retired so work for yourself 4 or 5 hours a week. Spend your extra money on what makes you happy.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:

Coming from NJ I found that my property taxes are less than half with a better house here.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
It still goes back to what it costs to live here. Everyone's mortgage is different. So take that payment which should include principal, interest, taxes, insurance and bond. No mortgage and you will still have bond or bond maintenance, taxes and insurance. Add to that $1000 a month for all other Villages expenses. (lawn, shrubs, water, sewer, trash, amenity fee, trail fee, villages.net, gas, electric, cable, internet, telephone, a few rounds of 18 hole golf, and probably a couple others) Add your food, medical auto and entertainment expense and you will have close to what it will cost you to live here. Everyone's total will be a little different, but should be close to your annual after tax income requirements.

You can cut the $1000 down to about $650 by doing your own lawn and shrubs, telephone tee times, lowering your heat and AC costs, walking the golf courses, no Daily Sun, and fixing things yourself. You have some control over food, medical, auto and entertainment. Look at all your income, figure taxes, deduct the above expenses and then make the decision on the type of life style you can afford.

I find it very affordable compared to other places I have lived. However I am sure there are places where the total cost of living will be less. I know people who live here very well on 50K a year. And a few below that who cut a lot of those expenses to the minimum. They are also quite happy living here.

The key to a real successful retirement in TV I believe is to lower your going in expenses to the minimum. Pay off the bond and the mortgage. Get the homestead exemption. Mow your own lawn, prune your shrubs, do as many of those things that you can do yourself. After all your retired so work for yourself 4 or 5 hours a week. Spend your extra money on what makes you happy.
Well said and very wise....as usual.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:28 PM

I use TV tee time phone system exclusively. No need to pay for any net charges. Are you sure the $58 is only for trash? As someone else mentioned, it may include water and sewer. I too only pay about $17 per month for garbage pick up and recylcing. Used to pay half of that for once a week pick up up north and that was over 10 years ago. I don't know who does my trash but it is part of my amenities and water/sewer bill. Don't get a separate one. I do think that is a tad high if it is only for trash.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Gold member

I'm still using the telephone tee times - thought I would switch once we moved down as snowbirds, but haven't found it to be necessary yet at all. I play 3 or 4 times a week depending on the weather - maybe only once a week when it's cold. Can still play in neighborhood leagues - you just call instead of checking online. Just more cumbersome, that's all. That's $96 in savings.

I did pay for the yearly trail fee, although when practical I still walk most of the executive courses. Figured the trail fee would still pay for itself when we golf in leagues, questionable rainy days or hot weather. Not absolutely necessary though. That's about $141 in savings.

There are a lot of start-up, one-time expenses when you first move down, like anywhere. Taxes and utilities are cheaper than most of the country. Usually several hundred, or thousand, $ in savings right there.

Those on a budget or limited funds should question why they need "comparable housing" down here. If you're retired, why do you NEED 2000 plus sq. feet? If you want it and can afford it, that's fine, but if you can't afford it, think harder. I see people going into debt to have an impressive retirement house, and I just don't get it. Patio villas and older, smaller resales are a really good value down here. Please consider if your budget is tight.

I think the real key is to be happy with what you can afford - you can have a great lifestyle down here on much less than most (not all) other places. Just take the time to figure out what your expenses are and what you can afford to buy.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Gold member

Our Real Estate Taxes are only 1/3 of what they were 13 years ago in NJ. Our total energy bill with SECO is less than what we paid up north. While it's true that all costs have gone up for gas, medicines and food, that's true everywhere.

If hubby's golf addiction is too costly, suggest he get a part time job working for Golf Dept or Pro Shop and he will get a much better price for golf.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
I have lived here now for close to 2 years. I am a full time resident and moved here because my husband is a golf addict! I can honestly say that this is the most expensive place I have ever lived in my life and I came here from Illinois, the over tax em state. I realize alot of you sold property and moved down here with no mortgages on your backs but, we couldn't do that. We have a mortgage here but, I am talking about the over the top fees for everything. The monthly fee for golf is $150, trail fees, mandatory garbage fees at $55 a month (whether you have garbage picked up or not! If you own property, you pay it!), the internet for $96 a year, Progress Energy, which is the most $$ utility company I have ever had to deal with...on and on. I am young enough that I am able to work (I am 51) and I have to hold down 3 jobs to keep food on the table here.
Before people buy here, they need to research the fees. If I would have known that this place was so costly, I never would have moved here!
Here is a site that can help you. Its called Living on a Budget.
http://stayathomemoms.about.com/od/m...n-a-budget.htm
Old 01-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
Coming from NJ I found that my property taxes are less than half with a better house here.

John
I agree. My house here was half the cost of my home in NJ; My property taxes are just a little more than 1/4 of my NJ taxes. There's no state income tax.

The only thing that bumps my cost that I'm not thrilled with is the bond. That was my choice though, as I could have bought a lovely preowned with no bond in the older section, but wanted my first new house, and bit the bullet.

My utility bills are a little lower, but all my other monthly household espenses are about the same.

The Amenity Fee seems high if you don't do anything. But it you're golfing, participating in group activities at the Rec Centers or Sports venues, going to the meticulously maintained pools, Partying any night you want at either of the beautiful Town Squares, or just walking, jogging, or biking in this immense picture postcard campus known as The Villages; it's a small price to pay.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
Personally, I would not be working 3 jobs to enable my husband to spend $150 per month on golf fees.
YEA....WHATS UP WITH THAT !
Old 01-20-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:

It sounds like to me by reading your story you need to take time for yourself to make it all worth while !
Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 AM

"A dollar saved is better than a dollar earned, because you don't have to pay tax on it." I'm not sure who said it, maybe Benj. Franklin.....but it has served me well for over 70 years.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.