Too Expensive to Live Here!

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2011, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

I was paying more in rent for a crummy little house in NY than my total monthly expenses here including mortgage. The property tax on the house that I sold in NY would have been $22K and goes up every year. My electric was way higher, also the cost of oil heat in the winter. After I looked around here and did the numbers i realized I couldn't afford not to live here.
I love it here. I don't scrimp on anything and my income is just over $50K.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

ok, I may get jumped on, but you all know me by now and know I will be open. This post just doesn't sit right with me, seems...fake, to try and discredit TV. Things in it, just don't fit.
JMHO!

Army Guy
Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 AM

The title of the thread reminded me of those other oh so positive ones from LWL.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylake1 View Post
The title of the thread reminded me of those other oh so positive ones from LWL.
My feelings exactly!

Army Guy
Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Guy View Post
ok, I may get jumped on, but you all know me by now and know I will be open. This post just doesn't sit right with me, seems...fake, to try and discredit TV. Things in it, just don't fit.
JMHO!

Army Guy
Yes sir, I smell a spoof.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Usually I am the one to say that and get jumped on, but this poster has posted on a number of subjects and her tone is not challenging in any of the others. I don't find I agree with her but.......

I think that it serves to remind people to check out their financial situation and check it out again before they make a major move.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianhorse59 View Post
I have lived here now for close to 2 years. I am a full time resident and moved here because my husband is a golf addict! I can honestly say that this is the most expensive place I have ever lived in my life and I came here from Illinois, the over tax em state. I realize alot of you sold property and moved down here with no mortgages on your backs but, we couldn't do that. We have a mortgage here but, I am talking about the over the top fees for everything. The monthly fee for golf is $150, trail fees, mandatory garbage fees at $55 a month (whether you have garbage picked up or not! If you own property, you pay it!), the internet for $96 a year, Progress Energy, which is the most $$ utility company I have ever had to deal with...on and on. I am young enough that I am able to work (I am 51) and I have to hold down 3 jobs to keep food on the table here.
Before people buy here, they need to research the fees. If I would have known that this place was so costly, I never would have moved here!
Looking at her other posts, she appears to be a genuine poster with these concerns.

It could be just be the Village of Silver Lake with these fees or perhaps she and her husband are just people who do not fit in here at the Villages.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
Looking at her other posts, she appears to be a genuine poster with these concerns.

It could be just be the Village of Silver Lake with these fees or perhaps she and her husband are just people who do not fit in here at the Villages.
If the Village of Silver Lake is the location and the charge for just garbage is $55 a month, I'd be havin' a revolution! I'd be an organizing fool - standing side by side with my neighbors and friends. I tend to believe that the original post is genuine, but perhaps places the blame in wrong place.

X (the rebel)
Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Guy View Post
JMHO!

Army Guy
I kind of hinted to that yesterday. I think this is one of those threads to get everyone riled up.
If my hubby & I had to work 5 jobs at this time in our lives, I would move !!! I personally love the Villages & the lifestyle we have. No where on earth could we find what we have here. I think anyone who is unhappy should just move ! Just saying.... LOL
Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 AM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I kind of hinted to that yesterday. I think this is one of those threads to get everyone riled up.
If my hubby & I had to work 5 jobs at this time in our lives, I would move !!! I personally love the Villages & the lifestyle we have. No where on earth could we find what we have here. I think anyone who is unhappy should just move ! Just saying.... LOL
I have to agree. If I was having to work 5 jobs, I would not be retiring now.
One needs to do the homework before jumping.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
[I]If my hubby & I had to work 5 jobs at this time in our lives, I would move !!! [/I]I personally love the Villages & the lifestyle we have. No where on earth could we find what we have here. I think anyone who is unhappy should just move ! Just saying.... LOL

I agree. Sometimes it's best to cut your losses, move on, and chalk it up to experience.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 AM

Scratching my head.

How does a couple get a mortgage that requires 5 jobs to pay it?

TV sells a “Life Style” not a life with 5 jobs, who would buy that?

Who would move to TV with a horse? Other than a retired, single veterinary lady who rides every day and does not work. That’s her thing and she can afford it.

In today’s economy a couple is lucky to have one job not 5.

$55/mo for garbage, that should include the pizza box delivered full every night.

$96 for internet, I think not.

I personally do not like golf enough that I would work so someone else could play.

As Abraham Lincoln once said, if you can’t afford a happy meal why go to McDonalds?

If this is not a spoof and it was me, I would not share this information.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol_piirto View Post
I love how most everyone has expressed their empathy and come up with suggestions. To me, that care is typical of The Villages. We all could use a few hints on pinching pennies. Be well.
This is my first post/just joined
Welcome to the forum. Please post we need all opions.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Gold member

For those who have expressed doubts, I have verified that the person arabianhorse59 purports to be is indeed a TV resident living in the Village of Silver Lake. And as GG alluded to, she began posting her intentions to move her family to TV back in March of 2009.

And to re-state a few things, the $96/yr is not for Internet access, it’s for membership in thevillages.net to access the on-line tee time reservation system. And the $150/mo she mentions is actually the amenity fee (which I thought should be closer to $135).
Old 01-20-2011, 11:48 AM

I recall that a Doctor once told me that he could not afford to retire. It is all in your prospective. When you are used to nothing and having worked so hard,for me, it is very enticing just to NOT WORK ! The best things in life are FREE !
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.