TOTV or Angie's list?

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas
Default TOTV or Angie's list?

Been on TOTV for almost 2 years and have learned a great deal. I have posted a couple of times for someone to recommend a business/person to build a closet, put together 3 big cabinets from Home Depot and build 2 work surfaces in our laundry room. I have received only 1 response (thank you) but I need MORE feedback. Do I need to go to Angie's list? They are offering me a discount - but I have always relied on TOTV for great information. Someone out there must have had similar work done.....share your experience, please!

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 01-13-2014, 03:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
Been on TOTV for almost 2 years and have learned a great deal. I have posted a couple of times for someone to recommend a business/person to build a closet, put together 3 big cabinets from Home Depot and build 2 work surfaces in our laundry room. I have received only 1 response (thank you) but I need MORE feedback. Do I need to go to Angie's list? They are offering me a discount - but I have always relied on TOTV for great information. Someone out there must have had similar work done.....share your experience, please!
I have been on Angie's List for a couple of years now and believe the combination of her list and this site together are a good, sound combination. If ever you are in doubt, take Angie's recommendation and ask viewers here on TOTV if they are familiar with the person or company.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I have been on Angie's List for a couple of years now and believe the combination of her list and this site together are a good, sound combination. If ever you are in doubt, take Angie's recommendation and ask viewers here on TOTV if they are familiar with the person or company.

I would also ask my neighbors for recommendations, as they have experience with all types of contractors, and know who does great work, at reasonable prices.

I know I have saved a lot of money, but following their recommendations.

Sorry that I don't have a recommendation for you.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-13-2014, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

Try contacting Alan Byer. He advertises on this site as AAA Handyman Services. If he is not able to do what you need done, he will let you know. Call him at 352-205-7504. I have used him many times and am always pleased with his work.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Platinum member

I wish more people would use Angie's List. I like that the users give the cost of the project as well as the review. That way, I could see in advance if something was going to be within my budget. Since the user described the project in detail, you could assess the price.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Gold member

I don't pay for opinions, people who give info to paid subscription lists often have many motives for their posted data and recommendations. I prefer local experiential data such as that found in the proper sections of TOTV.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

There is a TOTV poster who goes by the screen name handieman who used to post a lot, and was highly recommended by people he worked for. I do not know him so I have no reason to recommend or not recommend him.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Platinum member

all I know is that whenever I mentioned Angie's List in my initial call, people always callback right away. It was a powerful motivator for them to do a good job because the service was used a lot in the area I came from.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,955 Times in 1,161 Posts

I had 20 pages of notes from two years on this board before moving to TV. I never joined TOTV until we moved here, didn't need to, the greatest way of finding information is not to start a new thread but use the search button at the top of the page.

From my searches three years ago I found Tim 'The Toolman' Miller and for us he did everything from pull down attic steps to a peep hole in the front door, hand pulls on kitchen cabinets. In fact my master closet was doubled in size for only $150. Tim lowered my shelves and added duplicate rows above and his price included materials, labor, and patching holes and he was done in an hour and half.

I just did a search for Tim the toolman and found 43 threads with his name mentioned, and I bet not one negative response. Here's one Tim the Toolman??

Tim the Toolman 352-217-0561, although you might have to wait a week or more, he is always busy.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Platinum member

I have good success calling the Warranty Department. They are familiar with a lot of subs and they are careful who they recommend.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
i have good success calling the warranty department. They are familiar with a lot of subs and they are careful who they recommend.

Me too!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I also use a combination of Angie's List and TOTV. Angie's list was way more helpful when I used it while living the Washington DC area. The list of services is a bit lacking for TV because Angie's List is geared more for large cities and metropolitan areas. I am happy with a combination of both along with friend referrals. Sorry I can't help the OP with referrals for the things she mentions. Hopefully others posters can.

Last edited by JC and John; 01-14-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling corrected
Old 06-23-2014, 02:25 PM

About Angie's list - My brother and I inherited a business when our Dad died unexpectantly. Angie's list is hassling us to pay for service that would help us get more reviews. It is called the "Fetch a Review program". I knew something was weird when the guy on the phone told us that we only have 2 reviews and asked us if we know about some similar company in Orlando that has 20 reviews. I think this is totally SLEEZY because you could have your friends go on there and post and because you are artificially creating more reviews. They even offer to call your client list and match it with their member list and put their review on Angie's list. I had a contractor offer to give me an extra year's warrantee if I would post on Angie's list and 2 other places!!

Leesburg, FL then Homestead, FL, then suburb of Miami, FL, now TV
Old 06-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Given this day and age one needs to approach such recommendations carefully. My neighbors were talking about painting homes when one mentioned that the person who warranted his paint job for life is not in business any longer
Old 06-23-2014, 04:23 PM

We joined this forum late last year, around the time we purchased our home in TV. We hired a contractor, based on the great reviews that were on this site. We personally had a less than satisfactory experience. About two months later, we saw a negative review for this contractor, and, at that time, we decided to add to his review about our personal experience. Others then added to the thread, countering our experiences with their positive experiences. Even the contractor added his experience with both (negative) reviewers.

That posting is no longer on TOTV. The threads were civil and to the point, (no abuse), so we have to wonder, if a contractor gets a negative review on TOTV, how it disappears, and, based on that, if you do a search, whether you actually get both good and bad reviews. I love this site, but it makes me want to do a lot more research before I hire a contractor.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.