TOTV Log Out

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Default TOTV Log Out

Can anyone tell me, Adm included, why it is that when I click on Log Out I am taken to a screen that asks me if I really want to log out? My guess is that virtually no one ever clicks the "oh no I made a mistake" button.

While on the TOTV subject, also interested to know why it is when I use the "search" function I have to answer a non essential question with answers like; FL; TOTV or two? Is this someone's idea of a security system.

Not being critial, just curious.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
Can anyone tell me, Adm included, why it is that when I click on Log Out I am taken to a screen that asks me if I really want to log out? My guess is that virtually no one ever clicks the "oh no I made a mistake" button.

While on the TOTV subject, also interested to know why it is when I use the "search" function I have to answer a non essential question with answers like; FL; TOTV or two? Is this someone's idea of a security system.

FWIW.........

I occasionally change my mind about logging out and cancel out of it. But I'm not necessarily the brightest bulb in the package so that might have some bearing on it.

You should only be getting that 'answer this question' parameter if you're doing a Search while not logged in to TOTV.

Bill
Old 04-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Sage

Quote:

I never log off. I do this so I don't have to log back on next time and have to remember passwords. Now on financial sites I always log off, but on TOTV who cares? Am I doing something wrong by not logging off on TOTV?
Old 04-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
FWIW.........

I occasionally change my mind about logging out and cancel out of it. But I'm not necessarily the brightest bulb in the package so that might have some bearing on it.
I agree with Bill; on occasion, I've seen something else I wanted to comment on, and changed my mind about logging out.

Note to Bill - you're DEFINITELY not the dullest knife in the drawer !
Old 04-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Sage

HA! Thanks Richie!! I'll need to introduce you to my wife......maybe you can help convince HER!!

Bill
Old 04-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I never log off. I do this so I don't have to log back on next time and have to remember passwords. Now on financial sites I always log off, but on TOTV who cares? Am I doing something wrong by not logging off on TOTV?
Hope you're not doing anything wrong, cause I never log off of TOTV either. I close the site, but don't log off.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Eternal Member

There are lots of sites that ask you if you are sure that you want to log out.

Sometimes it is a good thing (but not often).

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Sage

I don't log off of this site and a couple of others I frequent, though I do log off of banking and a few other sites. It's much easier to stay logged on to TOTV and not have to wait if you've got something you need to say...heck I could forget what it was if I had to log in and type in a user name and password....
Old 04-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Habit I always log off
Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I never log off.

When I worked it IT Development, the software guys would code *features" whether people used 'em or not, just because it's what they do.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:

I've read every "answer" that's been posted, yet I don't see a single one that's remotely clolse to answering the questions that were raised. It doesen't appear to me that mrmark cares if you do or don't log off. He simply asked why these two features exist. Regarding the search dingbat question issue, no one has submitted a considered response other than to say it 's required only if you don't log in. That does not answer the question.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:45 AM
Sage

Ali,

I beg to differ...I believe both questions have been answered and a little bonus discussion about the merits of logging out or staying signed on.

"do you want to log out" is a common software design function. Some like it, some don't.

Getting random question error when doing a search will occur if you attempt to do a site search and are not logged in as a member (Bill pointed this out earlier and I just tested/confirmed it). The message is misleading but that's what caused it. Sites like this are supported by advertisers and number of registered members ... often, "advanced" features like full search are limited to members.

I've yet to find a perfect website or software app ... with the size of this community and variety of topics, this one does pretty good. JMHO
Old 04-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Sage

bigalibaba, here's the detail of what the "search dingbat question issue" is all about:

CAPTCHA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.