TOTV nite at Naples in Leesburg

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Who was organizing ???

We had a conflict, last night and were not able to attend. However, I was under the impression it was an "organized" event, so I would have expected someone to greet TOTV members and get them seated together or in close proximity.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I thought that the owner, Jan, (talkhost) was going to be there.

We had the Bingo to go to at Colony, proceeds for charity and happiness for Helene. Sorry we missed the opportunity to meet and greet new folks.

There just isn't enough time to do everything you would like to do here.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Sage

Maybe Naples learned from feedback at 5 p.m. seating and adapted to seat folks together at 7 p.m. I couldn't attend as I am not in TV now, but would have enjoyed it as an organized event with TOTV folks sitting together. I had thought Jan was going to be there too.

Sounds like some good lessons learned for the next TOTV night.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Founder

You are right, I should have been there. I made the mistake of believing that all of our members would be sitting together.

One of our members had agreed to act as host, but apparently that didn't happen.Not being there was a lapse in my judgment.

You can count on the fact that this won't happen again.

So, otherwise, how was the food.

JLK
Old 01-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels View Post
Skyguy79 you must have been at the other end so we didn't get a chance to talk with you. When I mentioned to someone that I used to live near Albany, NY someone mentioned I should talk to you. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to speak with you because all the food came out then.
Niels, you may or may not have seen me when you lived near Albany... depending on how far. For 26 years I was a supervisor with the Albany Issuing Office of the DMV. I've had people recognize me as far away from Albany as Dover DE. Anyway, we were at the far end against the wall. I believe you were still eating as we left. If you remember I told your whole group to not let the partying go beyond midnight!
The Villages Florida {hic}
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 01-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
You are right, I should have been there. I made the mistake of believing that all of our members would be sitting together.

One of our members had agreed to act as host, but apparently that didn't happen.Not being there was a lapse in my judgment.

You can count on the fact that this won't happen again.

So, otherwise, how was the food.

JLK
I'll volunteer to host the next one-- if you'll do it when I'm in town.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:34 AM
Platinum member

So far all of the comments on this thread have been about the seating. Is no one comfortable commenting about the food at Naples?
Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

gr, the food was okay. The portions were truly large. The service was excellent. I had the fettucine al fredo -- the pasta was cooked al dente (a biggie with me), but the sauce could have been thicker. Most of us just had a pasta dish. While I didn't hear any raves, I also didn't hear any complaints. A table behind us had a shrimp dish that looked absolutely delicious, with more than one person at our table saying they wished they'd ordered that instead.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-28-2011, 06:33 AM
Gold member
Smile

We've probably eaten there about 5 times and enjoy the food. Probably one of the best Italian restaurants in the area. However, I'm really not a gourmet so am easily pleased.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 01-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Sage

I would like to make a suggestion. Name tags for TOTV members with their handle.

Everyone would wear something that signifies they are TOTV members, (hats or t-shirts).

The restaurant staff should have been aware that TOTV wanted to be seated together.

I hope the next one turns out better.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

2b, don't know about anyone else who was there for the 5:00 pm seating, but we were very vocal about being part of TOTV. We told the hostess at least 3 times. Didn't matter -- we were just seated at a table. I doubt anyone was asked if they wanted to be seated together and I'm not all that sure we would have been accommodated at that time. I think there were enough disgruntled comments plus our pulling in another table for the couple (Hecules) that I knew to join us that Naples figured out what to do for the 7:00 pm seating.

Quite honestly, the food just wasn't good enough for me to make the effort to go there again. As I said, it was okay, but not enough to drive up 27 to eat there.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Sage

I didn't mean for my post to sound like a criticism but an idea for things to run more smoothly.

I'm sorry that everyone did not have as good a time as they wanted. I was hoping the event would be well attended and enjoyed by all TOTV members.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I didn't mean for my post to sound like a criticism but an idea for things to run more smoothly.

I'm sorry that everyone did not have as good a time as they wanted. I was hoping the event would be well attended and enjoyed by all TOTV members.
I understand what others are saying as when we arrived I asked, "where are totv people sitting?" The response was right there... pointing to the section immediately to the right that was mostly vacant except for a few booths. It made me feel like we were the first to arrive. It was almost 7. One more party arrived after we were seated and ordered to make a short story even shorter. We all made the best of it and enjoyed ourselves and our meals. The ladies who saw my wife's shrimp risotto liked what they saw and ordered the same. But I don't think any of the guys order the gnocci they saw that I had!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 01-28-2011, 09:43 PM

We were at the 5 o'clock seating. We got there early (4 of us) and were seated at a booth just behind where the reservation desk was. I was not aware of anyone else from TOTV being there even though several times we told our waitress, Rebecca, that we were there with the TOTV group. Whens" we got our bills we had to remind Rebecca that we were part of TOTV and the special - she said Oh Yah - I forgot and went back and fixed the bill.

Food was so-so - but I went to meet the people who have become " offered so much advice in the past nine months.

2BNTV had some great suggestions if there is a next time anywhere.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Sage
Default More ideas for the next one

I like 2B's idea of making suggestions for the next one. They are just suggestions of course. TH is so nice for doing an event, so however it is done is appreciated. Some suggestions might not work, and of course, some people might not agree. You can never please everybody. Ok, enough with the disclaimers.

Name tags and sitting together definitely. A private room or private section would be great, as large crowds tend to be louder. Round tables of six-to-eight rather than one long table, if available, so you could socialize better. If not, sets of long tables of eight or so, rather than just one long table of 16 or more. One seating instead of two, with a 45-minute optional drink social before seating. If the location is that far away, coordinate carpooling. (Oops, another disclaimer. TH, please note that I volunteered to host if I'm there. If not, I bet someone else would volunteer. Don't mean to be asking you personally make so many arrangements for us.)

Assigned seating might be fun so you don't just sit with who you already know. I wouldn't be keen on having coordinated hat or dress, although I would certainly go along cheerfully.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.