TOTV is un-bearable

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2021, 01:54 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Between the coffee posts and the COVID posts, this forum is becoming un bearable.

(BTW, no on is changing anyone’s mind on masks or vaccines)
There are three forums so you have a choice. Maybe General is your cup of tea. Why don’t you post topics that interest you there or on Non Villages Discussions. Some of us like currents events discussions even if they get a little rowdy and off topic at times. Different strokes for different folks. Have a nice day.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:54 PM

While I don't reply often, I usually reply when I seen someone posting misinformation. Just to be clear, misinformation does not arise because I disagree with a personal position. Rather, misinformation is a statement of "facts" that have no basis in any substantiated publication - for science that is an article from a refereed journal. For nonscience subjects, it means that several responsible news outlets are in agreement with the facts.

I read everything from the NY Times to the New Republic so I hope to hear multiple positions on an issue. What I don't do is to blindly follow any given leader, talking head, etc. BTW, the more I learn, the more I am amazed how our elected leaders of both parties can't figure out how to reach/listen across the aisle to create much stronger legislation that would help us all.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Must say, I used to be loyal and checked ToTV a few times per day type of person. And if I felt I could add value, I'd try.

Lately there seems to be an abundance of typical yada and limited interesting 'stuff'. Yes, the coffee thing, irritating. Very few 'sponsors' post much - I simply pass by. I do review some posts that I may find appealing, but that seems to be so minimal now. And the 'usual suspects' who simply have to post their 1-5 words rsp or silly emoticons. Gets very old.

I get the ToTV top posts email each morning. And probably check in if I'm bored. Perhaps it's me and old age crankiness creepin' in...
Old 08-01-2021, 02:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
The salesman's posts on reverse mortgages (a few months ago) were worse but, yes, I agree.
Why does the coffee guy start so many threads about the same thing? Does he think more people will read his posts if there are 5 or more on the first page.

How nice the reverse mortgage seems to have moved on.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I am sorry you feel that way (OP), definitely the reason there is the ignore list.

Personally, I want to have discussions with people I disagree with. I want to learn why they believe what they believe, I want people to challenge my views and beliefs. I have no use whatsoever with immature posts ridiculing and calling names. I will admit on occassion I get annoyed and post a sarcastic post that could be interpreted as ridicule, but I try not to.

So, I am glad we can disagree publically. I wish we could have a section for political discussions/arguments, which you have to join and agree to whatever to participate in, but I expect that is not going to happen.

And while I am an evil bleeding heart liberal, I have met several conservatives here that I highly respect both for their civility and for the well reasoned and well-spoken arguments.
I also like a good debate but still looking for folks that tell the truth and fact check, which is a rarity these days.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
Why ARE they out of golf carts???
Supply chain like anything else. First available delivery date is December, if you order a cart they give you one to drive until order is filled. So low on carts either rental or for delivery
Old 08-01-2021, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Why does the coffee guy start so many threads about the same thing? Does he think more people will read his posts if there are 5 or more on the first page.

Or decided to spend advertising dollars to a site that those not interested just move on, instead of attacking sponsors. If I am not interested in a business I just don’t read the post, it’s an option.

TOTV has become less about great info, and more about couple of subjects that no one has control. I now find a spend about 10 minutes a day here. I used to find this site so helpful, with thought, and experience on getting things done.

Now as a new person if you ask a question you can plan on a percentage that will either let you know you don’t have a clue, shouldn’t live here, can’t spell or formulate a sentence, or just downright attack the new poster. Then there is a small percentage that actually helps, instead of great helpful info. Doesn’t anyone go out and play anymore?

Last edited by asianthree; 08-02-2021 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
In just the last few days I've learned about breakfast places, intermittent problems with a golf cart, ways to clean mold and mildew off the house, ways to repair cracks in a quartz countertop, the reason Villages Golf Carts is out of stock, possible issues with automatic payments, a warning about a payment scam, and some info about internet speeds. Yes, there are some Covid threads and I've commented in them but they are far from the majority of the currently active topics.
I agree, these posts are great, and I’ve said in those posts.
Talk of The Villages should be about those topics.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
I agree, these posts are great, and I’ve said in those posts.
Talk of The Villages should be about those topics.
Sadly, there seems to be a big bucket that everything gets dumped into. While there are lots of different sections, it seems the active one or two gets it all.

It would help a lot if there were finer-grained groups so topics could be clearly differentiated. And people could then subscribe to the ones they want and not be bothered digging through all the ones they don't want.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

They need an easier way here to add to the ignore list. Mine has become ridiculously long
Old 08-01-2021, 03:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I also like a good debate but still looking for folks that tell the truth and fact check, which is a rarity these days.
Truth can be elusive, I will settle for honestly believe what they say and can explain why they believe that, and do it without being insulting and childish.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post

But we have the hearing aid people as well, can you here me now. Maybe a nice cup of coffee will help.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I was given a point on my record three days ago for directly addressing a poster and being unkind.

Where do you see that at (Points) I'm think I'm screwed. I've had 3 posts removed and I didn't see anything wrong with them.

I had no idea. lol
Old 08-01-2021, 05:24 PM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

Some post so much that it’s annoying, I guess they just don’t have anything else to do. I mostly skip over their post. When the same people are going back n forth, as they are the only ones posting, they would be better off meeting someplace in person to have their discussion rather then boring everyone
Old 08-01-2021, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I think TOTV is still a very useful site for the most part.

It is unfortunate like so many things these days, the emphasis is always on the negative content. And isolated instances often treated as a general condition.

There are some 25,000 members out of which a minuscule % participate. And out of that minuscule participation an even smaller number that can be spoilers.

Utilizing the ignore list as well as skipping the known prolific drum beaters makes it a keeper. ....IMHO.
Closed Thread

Tags
posts, totv, btw, masks, mind

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.