"tour de villages"

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 PM

Aye, Aye Captain Jon,

How convenient to switch the topic to other metro areas. The point is,which you obviously don't want to acknowledge, is that TV does have lots of much safer roads for bike riders to use. We do have streets with bike lanes, we do have cart paths and we do have multi modal paths. Why can't we just use them instead of talking about unfortunate other metro areas that aren't so blessed.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
Aye, Aye Captain Jon,

How convenient to switch the topic to other metro areas. The point is,which you obviously don't want to acknowledge, is that TV does have lots of much safer roads for bike riders to use. We do have streets with bike lanes, we do have cart paths and we do have multi modal paths. Why can't we just use them instead of talking about unfortunate other metro areas that aren't so blessed.
Four reasons, which I believe are correct:

1. Many riders have ridden for decades on the streets/roads of their communities without having any unfortunate safety issues. Why should they change now because a few don't want them on "their" roads (see the large majority of the previous posts).

2. They are within their legal rights doing so.

3. They are willing to assume the risk. If they violate the rules of the road, they assume risk, just like the drivers of other vehicles.

4. They pay taxes just like you and I--taxes which help keep up the roads that we ALL utilize.

I apologize if I threw you off with mentioning other metro area, but my argument is that if it is legal for these riders to ride on the streets in their previous home towns AND it is legal for them to do the same on Sumter/Marion/Lake county roads, I don't think they should have to change where they ride simply because you want them to.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Veteran member
Default MrMark,

if I am reading you properly, your point is about cyclists riding 2-3 abreast on the roads, and I understand that concern. I believe they are allowed to ride on any of the roads, but I don't think that they are allowed to ride 2-3 abreast. I know that I have to be extra cautious when 1 rider is on the road and I give him a wide berth. I haven't seen 2+ cycists abreast at any given time although I have passed long rows of cyclists and I do find that a little nerve wracking. But then I see that as my challenge not theirs.

LW888
Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 AM

[QUOTE=MrMark;447823]Not one of you has bothered to read my original post from the perspective that I'm concerned about YOUR safety.

Can't believe you don't see this topic from the perspective of SAFETY. Your safety, not mine or any other automobile driver.QUOTE]

The following quotes from your original post sound rather sarcastic and negative for someone who claims to be solely concerned about the safety of the cyclists:

...hordes of bicyclists...
...I think they are a menace...
...brightly clad daredevils...
...look lovely in their bright colored....outfits (way to tight for many of them)...
...two wheeled wonders...

but if you really are concerned then "thank you"
Old 02-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

[quote=cybermuda;448055]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
Not one of you has bothered to read my original post from the perspective that I'm concerned about YOUR safety.

Can't believe you don't see this topic from the perspective of SAFETY. Your safety, not mine or any other automobile driver.QUOTE]

The following quotes from your original post sound rather sarcastic and negative for someone who claims to be solely concerned about the safety of the cyclists:

...hordes of bicyclists...
...I think they are a menace...
...brightly clad daredevils...
...look lovely in their bright colored....outfits (way to tight for many of them)...
...two wheeled wonders...

but if you really are concerned then "thank you"
I didn't want to say anything, but I'm glad you did.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
And where do you think bicyclists should go in other metropolitan areas where there are no bike paths, cart paths, or multi-modal paths? Why should TV be any different?

The bottom line is that bicyclists, car drivers, and cart drivers need to drive with caution and share the road, just like everywhere else in the world. If bikers ignore rules of the road and get hurt, it is their fault. If car drivers don't exercise caution around bicyclists and cart drivers than the car driver can be at fault.

I think a little tolerance and respect is all that is needed here.
Totally agree with this post. Just recently when travelling to my favorite Vietnamese restaurant in Memphis(which we'll miss so much when we move), found newly painted bike paths on a main road. It was a real surprise. Midtown Memphis which is a very artsy part of town near the U of Memphis. So I guess they are catering to people who like to exercise. Now I travel to the gym very early before sunrise and pass a slew of cyclists quite often. They wear outfits that light up and you can see them a mile away. They are very safe.

I just don't get the golf carts that are suped up to go over 25...

Last edited by aljetmet; 02-03-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Pressed post way too early...
Old 02-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet;448***
. . . I just don't get the golf carts that are suped up to go over 25...
They're suped up to keep from being passed by the cyclists!
Old 02-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post

I think a little tolerance and respect is all that is needed here.
Wish all people would live their lives with this in mind.Wouldn't that be nice!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.