Tracking the surge

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2020, 08:33 AM

Let me make this simple. We can not harm the many to save the few. If I get Corona, I have a 50% chance of dying. I am over 65 and have mild COPD. That puts me in the danger area. That being said, I have lived a full life and if this is my fate, then so be it. But to expect so many younger than I, fighting for their American dream for themselves and their kids, to be put on hold at best and decimated at worst, is the height of selfishness. I will do what I can to protect myself, but I will not request anyone else to sacrifice for my sake. We have done our part to build this world into what it is. We should not be parasites of it in our December years.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:07 AM

And I saw on Village News that less than 50% of the Sumter County cases are Villagers.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:29 AM

Are some of those deaths at the two assisted/Alzheimer
care facilities? Could skew the percentages.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanst View Post
Let me make this simple. We can not harm the many to save the few. If I get Corona, I have a 50% chance of dying. I am over 65 and have mild COPD. That puts me in the danger area. That being said, I have lived a full life and if this is my fate, then so be it. But to expect so many younger than I, fighting for their American dream for themselves and their kids, to be put on hold at best and decimated at worst, is the height of selfishness. I will do what I can to protect myself, but I will not request anyone else to sacrifice for my sake. We have done our part to build this world into what it is. We should not be parasites of it in our December years.
I will agree with you when it is the many that are dying. Are we like animals which let their old die?
Old 04-23-2020, 11:35 AM
Default Florida DOH Dashboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
The daily dashboard accessed from
Home | Florida Department of Health COVID-19 Outbreak
go to the bottom and find
Review case, monitoring and PUI information on the latest COVID-19 Daily Report.
See the report Click on See the report
It will take you to a new report each day.
Using Control F open a find search box or use the hand lens search icon
Enter The Villages
It will then highlight each entry for TV

Today
The Villages Sumter 68
The Villages Lake 7

Testing The Villages Regional Hospital 26 negative 5 positive

The results per lab are strange. Way too many labs are reporting 100% positive tests. Maybe they are only notifying their positives, which will skew the data, or maybe they are mis-reading results. But it is strange. Today page 20 to 31

Biocollection Worldwide : 1 neg 267 positive
Cape Coral Hospital Clinical Lab 1 neg 129 pos
Orlando Health 4 neg 117 pos
Quest Miramar 7 neg 106 pos

I have emailed the state but not received a reply. They probably have better things to do.
To save this endless posting of suppositions , follow blueash's recommendation. Click on the link provided, scroll down to "DASHBOARD", download to your computer and you will have instant access to all the facts and figures you could want about this virus. Thank you, blueash. I have been using the dashboard for weeks, lol.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:00 PM

Are you counting the prison which is in Sumter county but not the villages?
Old 04-23-2020, 03:59 PM

I believe there a 4 deaths who are actual Villagers, Carol Lynch I think was the first. There are 2 men both over 75, I think actually in 80's and Debbie Butler who was 67.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:44 PM

Passing to 2-3 people is not very scientific...we are not seeing those numbers. The day before yesterday it went up 10, possibly the prison was tested. Yesterday only 1.
I think the reason people are not excited by the fact that we have had 0 deaths in a week is they are so addicted by drama and bad news. It's funny, you tell someone this and they stare at you like a deer.
Our media has done us an injustice. The WSJ article was written to scare a lot of old people that are already scared. We live in the best place in the world! I hope they let us keep living🇺🇲
Old 04-23-2020, 06:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob85 View Post
No matter how you spin it this virus is very contagious and our population is very vulnerable. If we had more testing we would know the real story.
I agree that more testing would go a long way towards lifting the cloud of confusion and uncertainty. I'm hopeful that accurate quick-result home tests will be available by the end of the year.

Overall, I'm more optimistic than I was because our area to date has not had an overwhelming number of cases. Whether or not that number will rise with restrictions gradually being lifted remains to be seen, but my wife and I will nonetheless remain quietly at home until testing is widely available and new daily infections are at zero.

I am very grateful that we're living in a time of food/grocery delivery services and online ordering!
Old 04-23-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Nothing new? What is the definition of “novel” virus? Dead are dead but the age range and the proportional number of the dead are very relevant to a retirement community.
I am 60 with moderate to severe asthma. I will gladly take my own preventable measures and give the healthy kids and children their lives back. I thought we at the Villages we're proud to be Americans. This is Marshall law and it's hurting our country and children. Are we too old to be logical, look at the real numbers and fight for what we believe? Fear destroys logic and faith. Hey, remember nobody is getting out of this alive. I have had a good life and love the Villages. Oh yeah and really miss pickleball 🇺🇸
Old 04-23-2020, 11:01 PM

Hi, I have read about the two women but not the two men. Do you know if one of the men was on a pickle ball team? I read about him being hospitalized in Leesburg and nothing more. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:10 AM

In my opinion, without a meaningful number of tests, the numbers mean very little (except for the deaths). As the antibody tests roll out, I’m sure it will show at least 15-20% of the population likely was infected. Let’s hope everyone is smart and wears a mask when out in public near others.
Old 04-24-2020, 05:14 AM
Veteran member

I've been looking at the Dashboard results for weeks. Its very noticeable that the number of COVID cases reported is aligned with the number of tests they've completed. On days where less tests were given, there were less infections reported and vice versa. Unless the country gets a good handle on testing we won't adequately contain the spread or be able to track the people that have come into contact with infected persons. Its that simple.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:11 AM
Lightbulb The CV Numbers by County

COUNTY POPULATION CASES DEATHS % FATAL
LAKE 356,945 217 9 4%
SUMTER 132,420 166 12 7%
MARION 365,579 145 3 2%
TOTAL 854,944 528 24 5%

Prison cases are a factor in Sumter and Lake Counties to an extent
Closed Thread

Tags
odds, cases, total, county, sumter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.