Trader Joe's

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2022, 02:26 PM
Default Trader Joe's

Been to a Trader Joe's only a couple of times so don’t know what’s so special about them. We are planning to go to the one in Gainesville and would like to hear from TJ lovers what we should look for. PLEASE, we don’t need to hear from those who don’t know TJ and are happy shopping at Sam's or Costco. Thank you.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Our favorite wine is only available at TJ's
Old 01-27-2022, 04:26 PM

We like the Kung Pao and Orange Chicken meals in the frozen foods section.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Shop Gainesville once a month, Whole Foods, Sams (it’s bigger) Krispy Cream and Trader Joe’s. Loyal customer to TJ’s, never a fan of Aldi.

We buy their whole grain bread(purple bag) French toast bread, tiny cupcakes gluten free. Scones are very good, worth buying for company.

Chicken breast organic $3.99lb, very large Sea scallops $15.00 a pound. Their 80/20 ground beef is little course, great for chili. We eat very little beef, but is always flavorful. Brined turkey’s durning holidays.

Produce last for more than a week, their tiny avocados are perfect size for one. Tucson melon have the best flavor. Tomato’s taste like home.

Their lactose brand milk is better than fairlife, and their eggs are fresh. Cheese isle is extensive, and worth the trip.

Ripple potato chips are better than anything else I have bought.

Every month the flier is full of new items, we try most of them. Frozen section has items you will not find in any other grocery.

If you want fresh flowers herbs and plants are good prices. We buy their soap, sunscreen, and lotion. During holidays they bring in special gift items that our granddaughter waits patiently for.

Wine department is priced well, and always a couple of surprises that you can’t find anywhere else. (No we don’t buy 3 buck Chuck) they produced a $20 cab from stags leap, that could pass for a $100 bottle.

Prices are in the same range that you would buy in any grocery, 90% of the time less than Aldi (price checker on my phone). Quality of their items is worth the trip. I go online prior to trip make my list, so I don’t forget anything.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:48 PM
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Shop Gainesville once a month, Whole Foods, Sams (it’s bigger) Krispy Cream and Trader Joe’s. Loyal customer to TJ’s, never a fan of Aldi.

We buy their whole grain bread(purple bag) French toast bread, tiny cupcakes gluten free. Scones are very good, worth buying for company.

Chicken breast organic $3.99lb, very large Sea scallops $15.00 a pound. Their 80/20 ground beef is little course, great for chili. We eat very little beef, but is always flavorful. Brined turkey’s durning holidays.

Produce last for more than a week, their tiny avocados are perfect size for one. Tucson melon have the best flavor. Tomato’s taste like home.

Their lactose brand milk is better than fairlife, and their eggs are fresh. Cheese isle is extensive, and worth the trip.

Every month the flier is full of new items, we try most of them. Frozen section has items you will not find in any other grocery.

If you want fresh flowers herbs and plants are good prices. We buy their soap, sunscreen, and lotion. During holidays they bring in special gift items that our granddaughter waits patiently for.

Wine department is priced well, and always a couple of surprises that you can’t find anywhere else. (No we don’t buy 3 buck Chuck) they produced a $20 cab from stags leap, that could pass for a $100 bottle.

Prices are in the same range that you would buy in any grocery, 90% of the time less than Aldi (price checker on my phone). Quality of their items is worth the trip. I go online prior to trip make my list, so I don’t forget anything.
Thanks, lots of good suggestions!
Old 01-27-2022, 09:55 PM

I grew up near the original Trader Joes in Calif. Their prices have gone up where I don't need to shop there anymore. They do have very unique products that they have bought out or decided to produce themselves under their name such as soup filled dumplings, or thai shrimp fried rice, face moisturizers, pound of dark chocolate. But since coming home with a bag of their groceries over the years has risen to $60 or more, it is not worth it. In Calif. there are Trader Joes in almost every city.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post

Not a fan of Trader Joe’s but to compare it to Aldi seems strange ad they are nothing alike. To me Aldi is an off brand second hand food store.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

As it turns out we're making our ~every 6 weeks" run tomorrow to Orlando (TJs, Costco, Whole Foods, Einsteins bagels, Millennia Mall and late lunch somewhere on restaurant row). Anyway, TJ's and Aldi's aren't connected. Seems to be Internet lore.

The text below this link is from this article and about 5 other articles: Are ALDI and Trader Joe's the same company? - Almost All ALDI

Let’s get this out of the way right up front: ALDI does not own Trader Joe’s — and while we’re at it, Trader Joe’s does not own ALDI. So, how did this idea ever gain circulation in the first place? (Read the linked article if you care.

Note from me not the quoted article : They do both carry the same "Chocolate Chip Dunkers" (cookies) though (under different brand names. TJ's tastes slightly better with slightly different ingredients. While I am sure Aldi's is clean and meets all health codes TO ME they always "LOOK" (not are) dirty.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:13 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Trader Joes

I only went to TJ once in Long Island. I didn't find it anything special that I would travel to Gainesville. Just my opinion.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
I only went to TJ once in Long Island. I didn't find it anything special that I would travel to Gainesville. Just my opinion.
Apologies in advance for getting off topic for a moment...........

I'm from Long Island and I would say it this way........"I only went to TJ once ON Long Island". Is it "in" or "on"???? I never know which was correct. LOL.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:02 AM

Greatest selection of scrumptious cookies in the known universe, say I broadly...
Old 01-28-2022, 06:05 AM
Veteran member

It is not that big of store so you will have no problem exploring it.

I was there Thursday and bought several items that were their house brand. Very good quality and low price. Natural unsalted peanut butter and premium pasta sauce(made with tomatoes not puree) to name a couple.

Lots of exotic stuff that you will not find in The Villages too. I recommend checking out their website if you haven't already.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:16 AM
Default TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by turneronce View Post
Been to a Trader Joe's only a couple of times so don’t know what’s so special about them. We are planning to go to the one in Gainesville and would like to hear from TJ lovers what we should look for. PLEASE, we don’t need to hear from those who don’t know TJ and are happy shopping at Sam's or Costco. Thank you.
Cheese , Wine and Bread, the best
Old 01-28-2022, 07:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Apologies in advance for getting off topic for a moment...........

I'm from Long Island and I would say it this way........"I only went to TJ once ON Long Island". Is it "in" or "on"???? I never know which was correct. LOL.
I prefer "while traipsing about."
Old 01-28-2022, 07:38 AM
Default Gingersnaps: bring me some:)!

If I could pick only two: Gingersnaps and lovely soup selection.
Closed Thread

Tags
don’t, trader, hear, joes, lovers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.