Trader Joe's news

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Sage

Kathie, How can you say you don't understand all the hype if you never went in? Yes, they aren't Whole Foods which is wonderful but Trader's does have a lot of products that are terrific and ridiculously inexpensive. I would stock up on fabulous cheeses there and save a bundle.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Default Charles Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Two Buck Chuck.

Yeaaa . . .
Old 09-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Gold member

Since we need to make trips to Shands in Gainesville, every three months, looks like we will be making a 2 mile detour on our return.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
Kathie, How can you say you don't understand all the hype if you never went in? Yes, they aren't Whole Foods which is wonderful but Trader's does have a lot of products that are terrific and ridiculously inexpensive. I would stock up on fabulous cheeses there and save a bundle.
So is all the excitement about items that Fresh Market sells but Trader Joe's sells for a lot less? Now if you were comparing Zabars or Dean & Deluca's both NYC landmarks, I'd agree, Trader Joe's charges significantly less but Fresh Market's prices are not all that unreasonable--IMHO.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Trader Joes has a lot of things you don't find elsewhere. Lots of foreign foods as well as the best frozen section ever. They have things you would not necessarily find at the regular grocer, plus their prices rock! Great cheese section, as well as wines, and wonderful appetizers. Yum! Time for a party!!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 09-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Sage

There was a Trader Joe's about a half mile from my home in Maryland and I hardly ever went there. I would go there in the summer for the Trader Joe Triple Shot Expresso drink in a can to take to the office. Not much else there except some frozen food now and then. Nothing special at all, in my opinion. Would I drive to Gainesvilles for it? No way!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Bosoxfan

Orange Mandarin Chicken - I miss it and will travel to Gainsville to get it.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Orange Mandarin Chicken - I miss it and will travel to Gainsville to get it.
Love the Orange Mandarin Chicken. Love the potstickers too, and the dipping sauce.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 09-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
There was a Trader Joe's about a half mile from my home in Maryland and I hardly ever went there. I would go there in the summer for the Trader Joe Triple Shot Expresso drink in a can to take to the office. Not much else there except some frozen food now and then. Nothing special at all, in my opinion. Would I drive to Gainesvilles for it? No way!
I understand your feelings since there was a Trader Joe's near me in CA. Like the one you described in that it was mostly frozen food. I was not impressed. Recently, I visited my son in Chicago and there was one across the street from our hotel. My DIL mentioned she shopped there a lot as well as the Whole Foods in the other direction. So, we went in to take a look and it was a completely different store from the one in CA. Fresh food and vegetables as well as other foods. There were frozen foods as well, but it was a much more complete food store. Now, I was impressed. I hope the one in Gainesville is as complete.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

Trader Joe's ROCKS!!!!!

Yeah Kath, I can't believe that you've never patronized them b4!!!!

Whole Foods is OK but they are kind of pricey to say the least!!! Fresh Market is OK too, love their roasted chickens and wonderfully fresh coffee. Nothing beats Walmart or Sam's for bulk and/or party shopping though but neither has the best fresh veggies. Love local vendors for fresh fruit and veggies.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Veteran member

Fresh Market does not compare to Trader Joes
Old 09-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Veteran member

You would drive 150 miles to by some groceries??? Then have to discuss prices that are less than other stores.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Trader Joe's or Whole Foods never been part of my world. Cousin Fred's or Grandpa John's anybody!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:36 PM

I too love TJ, I first went to one in Manhattan Beach, CA, they do have some unique items and they tend to be cheaper on more unusual items. They have a great Ginger bread cake mix that comes out around the end of October and disappears after Christmas, they will carry different items by season and many great wines cheaper. 2 Buck Chuck is a great example, it is $2 in CA more depending on the state, they sell that wine by the case. Many people I know that love wine love 2 Buck Chuck. I got on their web site and told them they need to build by or in the Villages, hopefully someday they will.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Sized View Post
You would drive 150 miles to by some groceries??? Then have to discuss prices that are less than other stores.
It's not 150 miles to Gainesville. More like 65. And yes I would. To buy (not by) some groceries, not to discuss prices. So shoot me.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.