Traffic Circles

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2018, 09:30 AM

You should never stay in the right lane to go through the 3rd exit. If you are going over two exits, you should be in the left lane. This is clearly marked on the signs when you enter a traffic circle, but ignored by many. I agree, expect the unexpected.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:12 AM
Veteran member
Default Circles

[QUOTE=villagetinker;1570483]Absolutely, and say HI to the gate keepers if there is one.

On an aside, when we first moved here, I completely avoided the roundabouts (if I could) for about 3 years. Then there was an accident on Rolling Acres road, no injuries and around

WELL ???
Hi regarding the Circles. We seem to be going around in Circles on this topic The main thing is this, in our view:
We do minimize the use of them and the main item is this: There are so many theories, just be careful, drive slowly and do not drive if you can avoid it. BE SAFE. Stay home, Happy Hours are the local roaming monsters here,,,, they are rampant.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:44 AM
Default Go to the class

I can tell by most of the answers there are several people who need to go to the Round-about classes. Broken white lines mean you can change lanes if there is no traffic. Solid white lines mean you cannot change lanes. Plus each round-about has distinct features depending on the traffic flow signs and layout. They are not all the same. There are parts of the world that use round-about's very efficiently because they are very courteous drivers. Traffic flows smoothly and never stops. Roundabouts are not STOP signs. They were designed to move traffic more efficiently and when someones stops if defeats the purpose. "Go to the class!"
Old 10-15-2018, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
You know everybody has their own idea what you're suppose to do, so take your pick & good luck! You know when I get into the round-a-bout & if there's a car running right next to me & I'm in the Left lane I don't take any chances I go around again & try not to run right next to another car. If I'm in the Right lane & I have a car right next to me & I don't want to turn in the first exit I slow down & let that car get ahead of me just so I see if they're going to cut across in front of me. Just be very careful & make sure you're not in no big hurry to get where you're going to, but I know there's a lot of short tempered jerks out their that think they're always right when it comes to accidents. Have a great day!
Just wondering, why are you in the right hand lane if you are not going to exit at the first or second exit?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:54 AM

:-D
Old 10-15-2018, 12:01 PM

Stop at any manned Gate House in the 'Visitor' lane and ask the gate attendant for a brochure on Roundabouts. They should all have them. If not, they can all get another supply of them at the Community Watch office on Bonita Boulevard.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I too was awe struck when the person in my lane came to a complete stop in the roundabout awhile back. More proof that we need to constantly drive defensively. Some of us are getting a little long in the tooth and our ability to operate a vehicle like we did in our prime is no longer our reality. Let's not forget that we all have visitors coming to hook up with us in TV, and they most likely will be confused with the many 'roundabouts' they encounter. Here's some good news....Word is that Sears will be filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection soon....once that happens all these lousy drivers that obtained their driver's licenses from the Sears catalog won't be able to renew them !!!
Old 10-15-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacus2233 View Post
Solid white lines mean you cannot change lanes.
Actually it is not illegal to cross a solid white line. It is a warning and a shouldn't unless you perceive a hazard. Big difference between shouldn't and prohibited. From the Florida DMV handbook;
"Solid White Line - A solid white line marks the right edge of the roadway or separates lanes of traffic moving in the same direction. You may travel in the same direction on both sides of this line, but you should not cross the line unless you must do so to avoid a hazard.
Double Solid White Line - A double sold white line separates two lanes of traffic going in the same direction. Crossing a double solid line is prohibited. left turn only lane"
Old 10-15-2018, 10:00 PM

3/4 of the way around enter circle, go to inside lane exit, stay in inside lane entering neighborhoods even though it says visitors. Less chance of an accident. Exiting Half way around enter circle, left or right lane. The circles all have flow signs before entering the circle. 20 mph speed in the circles. It’s not a race track. If everyone goes 20 and one person messes up the others can usually avoid a collision with nothing bruised but egos. I try to avoid going around the circles adjacent to another vehicle. Less chance of an accident. There are pamphlets at most rec centers.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by erojohn View Post
...I try to avoid going around the circles adjacent to another vehicle...
Do this one thing and almost all other issues disappear.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Do this one thing and almost all other issues disappear.

Yes!
Old 10-16-2018, 10:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I agree just go in the guest lane, why bother trying to switch lanes
I have never understood why so many residents refuse to use the visitor lane. Daily, I come across a gate with 6 cars in the resident line and none in the visitor. I just laugh as I pass them by.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:16 PM

Maybe a mandatory traffic circle orientation be required for all new comers (homeowners/guests pass visitors). At the time they obtain their Villages ID card or Visitors Pass, they watch a brief video on navigating a Roundabout/traffic circle and get a descriptive brochure. At lest, a navigating Roundabout/Traffic circle should be given. Be careful out there!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I too was awe struck when the person in my lane came to a complete stop in the roundabout awhile back.
If you were truly "awe struck" when a person stopped in a roundabout, it means you were going too fast and/or following too close.

Ask a policeman who would be at fault if you hit the stopped car from behind.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
You know everybody has their own idea what you're suppose to do, so take your pick & good luck! You know when I get into the round-a-bout & if there's a car running right next to me & I'm in the Left lane I don't take any chances I go around again & try not to run right next to another car. If I'm in the Right lane & I have a car right next to me & I don't want to turn in the first exit I slow down & let that car get ahead of me just so I see if they're going to cut across in front of me. Just be very careful & make sure you're not in no big hurry to get where you're going to, but I know there's a lot of short tempered jerks out their that think they're always right when it comes to accidents. Have a great day!
No, you follow the traffic instructions provided and read how to negotiate multi lane roundabout. This is NOT the place to learn traffic regulations! As we see lot of people don’t know how to negotiate roundabout properly.

It’s realy very simple. Yield to traffic IN the roundabout when approaching, use you’re blinker when exiting the circle, if you’re in the right lane you are turning right at the first exit or turning right at the second exit (straight through). If you in the left lane you are going to second or third exit. If oncoming cars yeild properly there should not be right way problem in the roundabout. Traffic laws are clear And if driver stay in the right lane and go to the third exit and hits someone after the second exit they will get the ticket, quite few find this out every year.
Closed Thread

Tags
left, circles, resident, exit, yield

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.