Traffic Circles

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2018, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,379 Times in 2,520 Posts

[QUOTE=MorTech;1588694]The only time you signal within the traffic circle is to other people already in the traffic circle when you change lanes...You dont signal when exiting a traffic circle. Yield to ALL traffic already in the circle..simple as that. Besides...Only fools trust turn signals in a retirement community [/

You are the person person no one wants to meet on a traffic circle.
Your whole 'Advice' regarding traffic circles is totaly wrong, and dangerous!
Old 10-10-2018, 07:38 AM

When I see a car signaling an exit I ignore it because I know 50% of the time that blinker is stuck on turn and meaningless
Old 10-10-2018, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
When I see a person using signals in a circle, it tells me they're a newbie and really are not comfortable making a turn in a circle, I give them a wide birth and I do the same when I see really "old" people who can't maintain their lane while turning
Really? Another post that goes against state guidance. I thought you were one of those that supported following rules.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-10-2018, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
You don't use your signal when exiting the circle because you are going straight ahead...look at the lane markings. There are no turns in a traffic circle. You don't signal to people yielding to the circle.
Soooo wrong.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Old 10-10-2018, 10:29 PM
Platinum member

If everybody negotiated a traffic circle correctly and in their correct lane, there would be no reason to use signals. I've so many people leave their signals on throughout the circle, some with right blinkers on and some with left blinkers on, which is totally confusing and unreliable. People drive around the circle and exit with their left blinker on. Really? Others drive past exits with their right blinker on and don't get off. Tell me how this is safe and trustworthy. Trusting signals in a traffic circle is not a smart thing to do. Just learn how to negotiate the circles correctly.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:39 AM
Gold member

A "turn", by definition here, is a lane change. Just look at the traffic circle road markings. You use signals only when changing lanes in the circle. Whatever you do, don't be right beside another car within the circle! It is amazing to me just how many people fail to stay totally in their lane and not cross the white lines...Range of motion and pain in the arms and shoulders with older people might have something to do with it.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
The only time you signal within the traffic circle is to other people already in the traffic circle when you change lanes...You dont signal when exiting a traffic circle. Yield to ALL traffic already in the circle..simple as that. Besides...Only fools trust turn signals in a retirement community
On what instructions is this advise based?

IMHO
Turn signals should be used, if possible, to signal any change of direction , unless , such use would further confuse others.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:36 AM

https://www.districtgov.org/communit...t-02-08-12.pdf

“Indicate your exit using your right-turn signal.”
Old 10-11-2018, 07:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
A "turn", by definition here, is a lane change. Just look at the traffic circle road markings. You use signals only when changing lanes in the circle. Whatever you do, don't be right beside another car within the circle! It is amazing to me just how many people fail to stay totally in their lane and not cross the white lines...Range of motion and pain in the arms and shoulders with older people might have something to do with it.
You really should stop posting any more of your totaly wrong opinions, because that is all they are.

You do NOT change lanes in a traffic circle.
You get in the correct lane BEFORE entering the circle.
You SIGNAL on EXIT.

Nothing more, and nothing less!
Old 10-11-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
You really should stop posting any more of your totaly wrong opinions, because that is all they are.

You do NOT change lanes in a traffic circle.
You get in the correct lane BEFORE entering the circle.
You SIGNAL on EXIT.

Nothing more, and nothing less!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

The bottom line is, a driver can be following the 'suggestions' of how to navigate roundabouts (particularly the two lane RA's)...and still end up in a collision.

Anytime you have a situation where the inside lane of the circle can legally make a right exit and turn across the outside lane, where the driver can legally continue past that exit...the potential for conflict exists.

The good news of course, is that accidents are typically minor and safer due to less likelihood of getting 'T-Boned'...as in a typical intersection.

Like so many others have stated, the best advice is to;

1. Ensure that no one is next to you in the RA.
2. Signal an exit, but never depend on someone else's turn signals to indicate what they're going to do.

Navigating The Villages Roundabouts | Inside The Bubble

Quote:
If you intend to travel through the roundabout and continue straight ahead, it can be appropriate to use either lane to enter and travel through the roundabout. The only concern in this case is that you should make sure you stay in the same lane throughout and also be sure to use your turn signal when you are ready to exit. If you are exiting from the inside lane, be careful that there isn’t a vehicle in the outside lane that intends to keep circling. Not everyone is aware of this guideline, so be careful in these situations.
Unless someone pulled out in front of a vehicle already in the circle, I would bet that there are few (if any) citations written for sideswipes by two vehicles already in the roundabout.

That being because of the ambiguity and conflicting actions that are 'allowed' while navigating roundabouts.

And of course the biggest problem is that the two lane roundabouts here are a lot smaller than they should be, but to have them made larger would have resulted in a bigger footprint...and thereby giving the developer less land to build & sell houses.

Can't be having that.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:16 AM
Sage

Cold no more.
Anytime you have a situation where the inside lane of the circle can legally make a right exit and turn across the outside lane, where the driver can legally continue past that exit...the potential for conflict exists.

In that circumstance, the driver in the outside lane is in the wrong lane.
There is no ambiguty in the correct way to navigate a traffic circle. No one should have to stop or give way, exept in am emergency.
Providing you enter the circle in the correct lane.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Cold no more.

In that circumstance, the driver in the outside lane is in the wrong lane.
There is no ambiguty in the correct way to navigate a traffic circle. No one should have to stop or give way, exept in am emergency.
Providing you enter the circle in the correct lane.
You are incorrect.

Outside lane could be making second exit and inside lane making what amounts to a 'U-Turn'...by going back the way it came

Same 'legal conflict' exists.

LOTS of "ambiguity."
Old 10-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
You are incorrect.

Outside lane could be making second exit and inside lane making what amounts to a 'U-Turn'...by going back the way it came

Same 'legal conflict' exists.

LOTS of "ambiguity."

Then the car in the outside lane should not have entered the circle until the inside car had passed.
You should not have to give way or stop when IN the circle.

No ambiguity, only bad driving!
Closed Thread

Tags
left, circles, resident, exit, yield

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.