Traffic control on Morse

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2015, 03:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Yes, the theory is not to stop for golf carts because they should not come to believe that they have any right of way.

That being said, I cheat. If there's no one behind me in my car and many carts trying to get across, I wave them on. I can't help it. I was taught to drive in such a fashion as to keep the flow of traffic moving. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDog View Post
I do to as long as it doesn't impede any traffic behind me. I realize that it is against the law but I think its courteous to do this. I know when I'm in a cart trying to cross by a gate I appreciate someone waving me through. I haven't seen any near accidents because of this.

John

As far as I am concerned your actions are acceptable. Making an obvious attempt at keeping traffic moving without endangering others makes sense. You nay find an occasional LEO agreeing.

As a cart driver I try not to make direct eye contact with the other driver. After a few seconds gesticulating they usually move on. By the way, I said direct eye contact. I have them in the corner of my eye.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, the theory is not to stop for golf carts because they should not come to believe that they have any right of way.

That being said, I cheat. If there's no one behind me in my car and many carts trying to get across, I wave them on. I can't help it. I was taught to drive in such a fashion as to keep the flow of traffic moving. Sorry.
If there is no one behind you, what's the purpose for waving them on? Can't they just go after you?
Old 06-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
If there is no one behind you, what's the purpose for waving them on? Can't they just go after you?

I know most folks who wave carts through have the best of intentions. But I do believe that simply following the rules of right-of-way is the best way to facilitate safety and efficiency. The above is a perfect example.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
When there's five or six carts waiting behind them, it's no big deal to wave them on. Perhaps I see cars coming up behind me that will cause a traffic jam, and there is enough time to let the carts go before the cars reach the gate. Mostly this is at the St. Charles gate, a particularly busy one with carts coming off of a golf course nearby. It's a situational thing.

So sue me. I'm still going to do it.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

I wave them on and appreciate when they wave me on.......and will continue to do so. The car blocks that lane of traffic and the cart driver can concentrate on the other lanes. I have no knowledge of any accidents occurring and nobody on here has listed any that have happened as a result of being waved on or waving a cart on.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-09-2015, 06:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
When there's five or six carts waiting behind them, it's no big deal to wave them on. Perhaps I see cars coming up behind me that will cause a traffic jam, and there is enough time to let the carts go before the cars reach the gate. Mostly this is at the St. Charles gate, a particularly busy one with carts coming off of a golf course nearby. It's a situational thing.

So sue me. I'm still going to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I wave them on and appreciate when they wave me on.......and will continue to do so. The car blocks that lane of traffic and the cart driver can concentrate on the other lanes. I have no knowledge of any accidents occurring and nobody on here has listed any that have happened as a result of being waved on or waving a cart on.
And we wonder why golf cart drivers don't know that autos have the right of way. This is what the "killing with kindness" post was all about, wasn't it?
Old 06-09-2015, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
And we wonder why golf cart drivers don't know that autos have the right of way. This is what the "killing with kindness" post was all about, wasn't it?
No, it was about how not using common sense can cause an accident. The same way Boogie and others roll through stop signs when they can see darn well there is nobody coming, that's the same reasoning I and others drive to facilitate others as much as is safe.

I suppose literally OP is correct. IMO it can be done otherwise. BTW, is it a traffic law, or just the TV rules? Serious question.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Just a quick public service announcement for those who get irritated by people passing them in their golf cart. It doesn't always mean that they want to go that much faster. I pass gas carts daily because I don't want to hear the engine noise and smell the stink from their cart.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:28 AM
Sage

The older gas carts, really stink--it appears a wayward tree jumped in front of a golf cart, yesterday--the woman who was driving was transported to the hospital--if there were small children in the cart--there could have been a fatality
Old 06-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
No, it was about how not using common sense can cause an accident. The same way Boogie and others roll through stop signs when they can see darn well there is nobody coming, that's the same reasoning I and others drive to facilitate others as much as is safe.

I suppose literally OP is correct. IMO it can be done otherwise. BTW, is it a traffic law, or just the TV rules? Serious question.
I think it is against the law to stop in the middle of a street just because you decide to momentarily change right of way rules. Unless, of course, you are avoiding an accident.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.