Traffic Study shows proposed major roadways planned for Southern Oaks

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2018, 06:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts
Default Traffic Study shows proposed major roadways planned for Southern Oaks

Amendments to the traffic study associated with the Southern Oaks development of The Villages being presented to the City of Wildwood shows the major roadways and sizing planned for the known areas of development.

Also listed in the study is "the cumulative proposed land uses for the Villages of Southern Oaks":
  • 26,590 residential dwelling units
  • 765,000 square feet office/government
  • 8,945,000 square feet retail/commercial

While the number of homes is not unexpected, the amount of retail/commercial space (>200 acres) is telling of good things to come for much needed businesses to support the growth of the area.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Capture 093 Feb. 09, 2018 06.04.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	73938  
Old 02-09-2018, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

///

Last edited by rustyp; 02-10-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
A little voice in the back of my head is saying is it time to get concerned about this piece meal type planning. It appears the population of The Villages could easily approach 200K. Compare this to St Pete at 245K and Orlando at 238K. The roads in this area can not support that kind of growth. Take a look at a map and observe the expressways, by passes, etc surrounding those areas. Given the three county location and multiple city occupation of The Villages who is in charge of the long term grand integrated plan ?
I have been saying this for years! As a local, it's so frustrating!! It takes me 30 minutes to get home from work, where, in the morning, it only takes me 10-15 minutes! Plus, the congestion in Lady Lake is insane! The population to roadway "ratio" just isn't working, anymore! This was a small town area, it's grown so much, but they haven't done anything to help relieve the roadway congestion.
We need more big-name businesses built, Home Depot, Target, Joanns, SAM'S CLUB!!!, etc. that could at least give it a start.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:22 AM

Costco, Miller's Ale house, BJ's Brewhouse,
Old 02-09-2018, 08:32 AM
Sage
Default Traffic Study shows proposed major roadways planned for Southern Oaks

Quote:
A little voice in the back of my head is saying is it time to get concerned about this piece meal type planning. It appears the population of The Villages could easily approach 200K. Compare this to St Pete at 245K and Orlando at 238K. The roads in this area can not support that kind of growth. Take a look at a map and observe the expressways, by passes, etc surrounding those areas. Given the three county location and multiple city occupation of The Villages who is in charge of the long term grand integrated plan ?

You are correct. Typically a county or region having a heads up to future demand will commission a 10 to 20 year master plan implemented first, before any permits are issued.
I’ve never lived through growth at this pace but I do know there are cities that regret not having the foresight to limit unchecked growth. Midget politicians signing off on whatever a greedy developer wants is a recipe for disaster in the future. I won’t want to be here. What will this place will look like when younger baby boomers and older generation X’ers need to sell their homes
in 20 years or so with a non- existent millennial market
to sell to. The economy here is based on catering to relatively affluent homeowners. Once they dwindle away who will buy these houses ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Wiotte; 02-09-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amb3rTastic View Post
I have been saying this for years! As a local, it's so frustrating!! It takes me 30 minutes to get home from work, where, in the morning, it only takes me 10-15 minutes! Plus, the congestion in Lady Lake is insane! The population to roadway "ratio" just isn't working, anymore! This was a small town area, it's grown so much, but they haven't done anything to help relieve the roadway congestion.
We need more big-name businesses built, Home Depot, Target, Joanns, SAM'S CLUB!!!, etc. that could at least give it a start.
Amber. I think you mentioned you are a millennial. Years to you and years to us VILLAGERS are different.

Small towns have been growing for as long as there has been recorded history. IF "The Villages" didn't build homes, SOMEONE would be building homes here. We have a lot of good stuff drawing people to live here. Florida has become the third most populous state in the last four years.

And who are THEY? We the people are "They".

I see no evidence of "piecemeal planning", this area has better planning than areas that just "spring up".

I also remind you Amber that this is the middle of the "High Season" where the entire state has swollen population. It is cold up North. People come here and rent and people come here and visit the renters. People come here and visit the owners too. March 31st is coming and our "normal" will soon be here.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Traffic times sure depend on one's field of experience. I never knew a 30 minute travel time in the Chicago area. And throw in a foot of snow like today and this is what you get...

The Villages Florida

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2018, 09:19 AM

Odd that Buena Vista is still mapped to be straight south of Brownwood rather than continuing from where Beuna Vista now hits 44.

Also, the yellow outline of owned property really shows the mass of land south of the prison and 470. Looks bigger than all the rest down there currently mapped for development.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Traffic times sure depend on one's field of experience. I never knew a 30 minute travel time in the Chicago area. And throw in a foot of snow like today and this is what you get...

The Villages Florida

Oh boy!

With the growing traffic, we'll be seeing that more and more often WITHOUT the snow!
Old 02-09-2018, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Oh boy!

With the growing traffic, we'll be seeing that more and more often WITHOUT the snow!
That would be no fun, believe me. It's maddening to watch a stoplight change 2 or 3 times before you get through the intersection.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
...Apparently some of our definition of foresight differs.
No amount of foresight prevents traffic hot spots...unless there is unlimited funding of course. Do you want to pay the required taxes?

Actually unlimited money wouldn’t even do it. It takes time...a lot of time...to plan, design, permit, and construct road projects. Congested traffic hot spots are a part of modern society. No highly developed area is without them...even with all the foresight in the world.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
A little voice in the back of my head is saying is it time to get concerned about this piece meal type planning. It appears the population of The Villages could easily approach 200K. Compare this to St Pete at 245K...
Cherry pick useful sounding info much? St. Pete is part of a contiguous urban area, the population of which is roughly 3,000,000. Yeah, I didn’t accidentally add a zero. That’s 3M people.

Your comparison holds not one drop of water.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Location: Caroline, Norwalk OH, Federal Way, WA. Stamford, CT. Tuscarora, PA

Thanks for the map, Goldwingnut!
Keep them coming.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDenise View Post
Odd that Buena Vista is still mapped to be straight south of Brownwood rather than continuing from where Beuna Vista now hits 44.

Also, the yellow outline of owned property really shows the mass of land south of the prison and 470. Looks bigger than all the rest down there currently mapped for development.
I took the map, and overlaid with Google maps, and you are correct, the extension of Buena Vista does NOT line up with the existing Buena Vista at 44. Buena Vista Blvd, becomes Heritage Blvd south of 44 and goes through a development, so unless the county was going to buy all of those houses, it could not go straight across 44, too bad.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

///

Last edited by rustyp; 02-10-2018 at 06:28 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
study, southern, oaks, development, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.