TRAIN HORN AT 4:40 am!!!! What was that for???

Old 03-23-2024, 08:58 AM
Gold member
Default TRAIN HORN AT 4:40 am!!!! What was that for???

Okay we don't even live close to the railroad tracks near The Villages. I would say we live about two miles away. But, we could easily hear the train horn going off at 4:40 am for at least three or four minutes long.
What is going on?? The people who live even closer to those tracks must be going nuts over this.
Chime in if you heard that too.....
Old 03-23-2024, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Depends on overcast and which way wind blowing. I live about same from tracks, I only hear train when I am already awake. But I have ace in hole? I’m deaf in one ear. I don’t hear nothing if laying on my good working ear
Old 03-23-2024, 09:56 AM
Veteran member

Did you watch My Cousin Vinny last night?!
Old 03-23-2024, 10:07 AM

We hear it way off in the distance and it always reminds me of the old John Wayne type movies where the train is crossing the prairie. Kind of romantic, although I must admit I never thought I would live on the train tracks anywhere.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Maybe not a train...

HornBlasters Train Horn Kits | Loudest Train Horn Kits

Pretty sure of hearing one of these blasting from a truck..
Old 03-23-2024, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Maybe not a train...

HornBlasters Train Horn Kits | Loudest Train Horn Kits

Pretty sure of hearing one of these blasting from a truck..
In a previous home we started hearing frequent train horns. About the second time it happened it occurred to me that I lived at the bottom end of an island with no tracks within 10 miles and even those had not been used in decades. One of the neighbors at the end of the road had discovered the joy of a train horn kit for his truck. Not sure if he moved or if his closer neighbors had a discussion with him but the horn only lasted about a month.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Okay we don't even live close to the railroad tracks near The Villages. I would say we live about two miles away. But, we could easily hear the train horn going off at 4:40 am for at least three or four minutes long.
What is going on?? The people who live even closer to those tracks must be going nuts over this.
That's very unusual. She's supposed to come through at ten after 4:00.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
That's very unusual. She's supposed to come through at ten after 4:00.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:34 AM
Default 0.8 miles from tracks

Quote:
My home in the village of Belvedere is 0.4 miles from the tracks. Between the tracks and my home, there is only a nature preserve and open farmland. By law, the train horn is blown before every railroad crossing. The sound is worse in the winter when most of the trees in a tree line do not have leaves. Most of the time, the horns are not a problem.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:50 AM
Default envious

Quote:
I'm envious. We hardly ever get to hear a train where we live in Deluna, unless the weather conditions are just right. Most of my life has been spent within hearing distance of a train. I find it comforting somehow and it often helps me sleep. I miss it. Enjoy it while you can.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Every home we have lived in we hear trains. It's music to our ears. And I'm not tooting my own horn !
Old 03-24-2024, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I would be more concerned about possible derailment of trains and their poison. I saw that some homes here are way too close to the tracks for the price charged. Home near train tracks are supposed to be cheaper as well.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:15 AM

Retired Engineer, here is Federal Railroad Administration whistle blowing regulations. Also if the crossing has gates and wig wags you can request a quiet zone
https://railroads.dot.gov/sites/fra....ct%20Sheet.pdf
Old 03-24-2024, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robojo View Post
I would be more concerned about possible derailment of trains and their poison. I saw that some homes here are way too close to the tracks for the price charged. Home near train tracks are supposed to be cheaper as well.
I can show you some established, affluent Greater Boston neighborhoods with multi million dollar homes a stones throw away from train tracks where they clearly never got that memo!
Old 03-24-2024, 06:28 AM
Default Train horn too loud ?

Federal law requires that the horn must be loud enough to be heard 8 miles away. You can notice when the train passes a crossing because the signal required is to blow two longs a short and a long.
Trains CANNOT stop in the distance they can see the way cars can. They rely on signals and track circuits to tell them what speed to do and sometimes the circuit can control the speed. ( ATO) automatic train control. The system never tells them that a car is on the tracks. I am sure you have seen the damage a train does when it collides with anything.
Also, trains can be a half mile long and communication between crew members can be made with engine whistles.
The first rule of railroading is : safety first in the discharge of duty. Communication is a must.

Tags
live, horn, train, tracks, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.