Transportation to medical appointments

Old 03-15-2024, 10:21 PM
Default Transportation to medical appointments

I hope to soon be a resident in the villages. I will be moving from out of state and away from everyone I know. As a resident of the villages does anyone know if there is a service or person I could pay to bring me to medical appointments and stay there and give me a ride home? I'm thinking only about appointments for procedures that require anesthesia where someone is required to stay at the office and drive me home, like cataract surgery etc. I'm perfectly healthy but any unknown upcoming procedure that involves anesthesia would require me to find someone to stay at the doctor's office and bring me home since driving would be prohibited. I know neighbors would most likely help, but is there any professional service that would do this for a fee?
Old 03-16-2024, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,520 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
I hope to soon be a resident in the villages. I will be moving from out of state and away from everyone I know. As a resident of the villages does anyone know if there is a service or person I could pay to bring me to medical appointments and stay there and give me a ride home? I'm thinking only about appointments for procedures that require anesthesia where someone is required to stay at the office and drive me home, like cataract surgery etc. I'm perfectly healthy but any unknown upcoming procedure that involves anesthesia would require me to find someone to stay at the doctor's office and bring me home since driving would be prohibited. I know neighbors would most likely help, but is there any professional service that would do this for a fee?
I don't have an answer, but it's a good question. You could check with a home care company like Happier At Home. They serve the Villages and are based out of Wildwood. They offer medical transport services, but I don't know if it's just part of normal in-home care, or if they offer it as a stand-alone service. Even if they don't provide it to people who aren't needing home-care, they might know of resources for you that do.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:08 AM
Default Caring Neighbors

Investigate if your new neighborhood hosts a branch of Caring Neighbors. This is a volunteer-based group of Village residents that provides the exact service you are seeking. Not all Villages offer such a service, but perhaps yours will.....
Old 03-16-2024, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

Make friends with your neighbors if it's a ride once in a while they will give you a ride.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPCGenius View Post
Investigate if your new neighborhood hosts a branch of Caring Neighbors. This is a volunteer-based group of Village residents that provides the exact service you are seeking. Not all Villages offer such a service, but perhaps yours will.....
This is something that United Way introduced and TV was fortunate enough to have a lady who investigated it and set it up for the various villages, but it has not been set up in every village. I have this in my village and when my husband was in the hospital and in care, they were wonderful. Hopefully someone who knows more about it than I do will come to this thread. In my case it was a life saver when you are desperate for a medical ride.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Some counties have services. Check the county site. In general they are drop off and pick up so it may not work for the problem you mention.
In short you want to hire someone for a few hours. Might post here. Maybe try asking for a babysitter with a drivers license.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

This a very interesting point, and I never understood the point that someone has to wait at the office while the patient is being worked on, a much more realistic approach would be to have a driver waiting at home for a phone call. This could be made when the patient just goes into recovery, and could arrive before the patient is discharged. The last time I had to do this for my wife was during covid, and I was not allowed in the building, THEY HAD NO IDEA WHERE I WAS......

Last edited by villagetinker; 03-16-2024 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-16-2024, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

OP, you can find services for transportation, but they may be very expensive. You may need to pay $300 or more for someone to take you and return you home, depending on how long it takes. The county or state programs are usually restricted to low income people. You will be better off finding friends to share the burden.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
This a very interesting point, and I never understood the point that someone has to wait at the office while the patient is being worked on, a much more realistic approach would be to have a driver waiting at home for a phone call. This could be made when the patient just goes into recovery, and could arrive before the patient is discharged. The last time I had to do this for my wife was during covid, and I was not allowed in the building, THEY HAD NO IDEA WHERE I WAS......
I agree. I can't seem to find a logical reason why someone needs to wait in the waiting area when someone is undergoing a procedure serious enough to prohibit them from driving home. If complications arise during the procedure the patient would be transported by ambulance to another facility if needed, so what is the need for someone to be waiting in the waiting room? I can totally understand they will need a ride home but wouldn't an Uber ride be sufficient?
Old 03-16-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPCGenius View Post
This is exactly the service I was wondering about. I'm going to contact them to find out more. Thank you, thank you, thank you for responding.
Old 03-16-2024, 05:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
This is exactly the service I was wondering about. I'm going to contact them to find out more. Thank you, thank you, thank you for responding.
Please share what you find out. It is a very good question.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Please share what you find out. It is a very good question.
Wow. Talk about a missed opportunity for someone to do some good and make a few bucks in the process. I also would love a follow up....
Old 03-16-2024, 08:41 PM

St. Lukes has a shuttle bus. Pick- up and delivery.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,520 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara828 View Post
St. Lukes has a shuttle bus. Pick- up and delivery.
Unfortunately that doesn't address the OP's concern. Some procedures require that someone stay in the facility waiting for the patient. That means no "pick up and delivery." It means "pick up, bring in, sit in the waiting room or the cafeteria if applicable until the patient is brought back out, and then bring the patient home."

Shuttle bus service is not the same thing.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:07 AM

Transit Passenger Guide | Sumter County, FL - Official Website

Reservations and Routes | Sumter County, FL - Official Website

Transit Applications | Sumter County, FL - Official Website

Tags
stay, appointments, home, require, office

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.