Transportation to medical appointments

Old 03-17-2024, 04:51 AM

I’m glad you mentioned this topic, because I think The Villages could do better by offering some kind of public transportation. After all, this is not a small community, but a sprawling town that is ever growing. And it’s an over-55, so if course that’s going to mean more trips to doctor’s offices. I have visited some beach communities in Florida that offer free trolley rides around town.

I’ve used Uber to get around at times, and it worked fine. However you may not feel comfortable with that, especially returning from a medical procedure. You could get to know your new neighbors and ask them, as some have suggested. Maybe offer them a few dollars for gas. But frankly I don’t like depending on people that way, unless you develop a close friendship. Wish I could offer more solutions.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:18 AM
Veteran member

St. Lukes in Lake Sumter for cataract surgery has a van to pick you up and take you home afterwards. I used it, was the only one on it and was very happy with it....and with Dr Ireland who performed the surgery
Old 03-17-2024, 06:12 AM

The eye surgery centers now provide transportation.
Counties provide bus services.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:25 AM

NEXT DOOR online, if the request is made, will get answers from people that are willing to help. You will have no problem. Many kind souls here.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:00 AM
Default Medical Transportation

Some churches offer volunteer transportation for parishioners. Check with yours.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
This a very interesting point, and I never understood the point that someone has to wait at the office while the patient is being worked on, a much more realistic approach would be to have a driver waiting at home for a phone call. This could be made when the patient just goes into recovery, and could arrive before the patient is discharged. The last time I had to do this for my wife was during covid, and I was not allowed in the building, THEY HAD NO IDEA WHERE I WAS......
If it’s a longer wait than just a physician visit, we have a volunteer for each direction.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:38 AM

I think the hospitals have a very good reason for their rules. You cannot use a taxi, Uber, or some other public service because they want you to use someone who will take responsibility for you. They even want your helper to stay with you at home for a while to make sure you don’t have a bad reaction.

As for why someone has to wait at the surgery center, maybe they just want to be sure you have someone to help you. I suspect people previously would have someone drop them off and the driver would leave and not come back.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:54 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
I agree. I can't seem to find a logical reason why someone needs to wait in the waiting area when someone is undergoing a procedure serious enough to prohibit them from driving home. If complications arise during the procedure the patient would be transported by ambulance to another facility if needed, so what is the need for someone to be waiting in the waiting room? I can totally understand they will need a ride home but wouldn't an Uber ride be sufficient?
Totally agree. Why the heck would someone wait hours until you’re done? And what’s wrong with Uber.? Medicare provides medical transport. There’s plenty of options
Old 03-17-2024, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Check with your health insurance company; some offer this service.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPCGenius View Post
Investigate if your new neighborhood hosts a branch of Caring Neighbors. This is a volunteer-based group of Village residents that provides the exact service you are seeking. Not all Villages offer such a service, but perhaps yours will.....
This "Caring Neighbors" organization seems to be the best answer for me. It's a volunteer organization of multiple neighbors in each village who have signed up to help with free transportation and other chores when help is needed. The information on their website (if it is current) indicates they are currently established in 11 villages and are trying to grow to every village. The only issue I can see on their website is if you don't live in a village where they are already established you can not get help. I totally understand that, because someone living in the Spanish Springs area should not expect a volunteer in the Fenney area to drive to help them, it is just too far. People reading this thread may currently have a spouse or family nearby to help but you may also find yourself unexpectedly single like me. If you don't want to personally rely on a particular neighbor for help this service would be valuable to you. I encourage everyone to check out their website and help them grow and establish a presence in each village. This is the website Caring Neighbors - www.thevillagescaringneighbors.com

The truth is we will all end up as singles again one day and need help. Thank you to all who have responded.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

There is no way I would participate in any for pay service to transport "clients" anywhere. I wouldn't do it on volunteer basis either. Why? Liability risk. If anything happened, while transporting someone, that caused injury to a "client", you better hope you have appropriate insurance and meet any legal licensing requirements mandated by the government. Uber provides liability insurance for their rideshare drivers to protect them in case of a lawsuit. People will and do sue all the time for the most ridiculous reasons. I will not do anything that runs the risk of causing me to lose everything that I have worked for in my life. Cold hearted? No sensible.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:11 PM

I've used Florida Blue for transportation to medical appointments, under their Medicare Advantage plan.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:15 PM

Ocala Eye has a service that will take one to their surgery center and return them home. Not sure if other eye centers do the same but I would not be surprised if they did.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
I hope to soon be a resident in the villages. I will be moving from out of state and away from everyone I know. As a resident of the villages does anyone know if there is a service or person I could pay to bring me to medical appointments and stay there and give me a ride home? I'm thinking only about appointments for procedures that require anesthesia where someone is required to stay at the office and drive me home, like cataract surgery etc. I'm perfectly healthy but any unknown upcoming procedure that involves anesthesia would require me to find someone to stay at the doctor's office and bring me home since driving would be prohibited. I know neighbors would most likely help, but is there any professional service that would do this for a fee?
Health Insurance offers transportation to and from medical appointments for seniors and so do various doctor’s offices. I don’t know of any that will wait for you though.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
Health Insurance offers transportation to and from medical appointments for seniors and so do various doctor’s offices. I don’t know of any that will wait for you though.
I agree, there are lots of options to get to and from normal medical appointments. Getting someone to stay in the waiting room while you are under anesthesia for an outpatient procedure is harder and there are far fewer options for that.

Tags
stay, appointments, home, require, office

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.