Trash

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2022, 11:05 AM
Default Trash

Every day on my morning walk, I take the plastic bag that the newspaper comes in and use it for trash that I pick up on my walk. I am amazed at what people throw out along the golf multi modal paths! We will never stop litter bugs. They are selfish, careless, entitled people, and will never change. If however, everyone would stop and pick up a beer can, a candy wrapper, or some other piece of trash, just one or two, and stash it in a small bag in the golf cart, the grounds would look so much better than waiting for the maintenance crews to come by. Just a suggestion. Call it a good deed for the day, or being neighborly.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,684 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller703 View Post
Every day on my morning walk, I take the plastic bag that the newspaper comes in and use it for trash that I pick up on my walk. I am amazed at what people throw out along the golf multi modal paths! We will never stop litter bugs. They are selfish, careless, entitled people, and will never change. If however, everyone would stop and pick up a beer can, a candy wrapper, or some other piece of trash, just one or two, and stash it in a small bag in the golf cart, the grounds would look so much better than waiting for the maintenance crews to come by. Just a suggestion. Call it a good deed for the day, or being neighborly.
Kudos.

I too do a lot of walking, along the MMP that parallels El Camino Real mainly. And yes--a LOT of stuff is tossed. The maintenance people do pick stuff up when they mow but there seems to always be a fresh supply of trash. Quite a few of those little liquor bottles ("Fireball" whiskey, those little one-shot vodka bottles, etc.), a LOT of cigarette butts, empty wine bottles, empty beer cans, you name it. A couple of weeks ago I spotted a pair of men's undershorts.

Amazing. I wonder if these litterbugs the same kind of pigs at home as they apparently are on public paths.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:07 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,391 Times in 1,458 Posts

You're not getting much exercise if you keep stopping to pick up litter, gotta keep that heart pumping.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:34 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

"yawn" I prefer to let my actions do the talking...patting oneself on the back is being entitled.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller703 View Post
I too do this every day. Usually empty cigarette packs, mini liquor bottles and beer cans
Old 07-28-2022, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
You're not getting much exercise if you keep stopping to pick up litter, gotta keep that heart pumping.

But bending is great for the waistline.

Life and sports require strength and flexibility: lifting, reaching, turning and bending move you through your day and keep you in the game. Bending exercises improve flexibility by stretching and opening tight areas of the body and by leveraging body weight to strengthen muscles and joints.

You still get the same exercise but you stop to bend and continue on.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:20 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,077 Times in 433 Posts

The other day my wife and I were on the MMP across from Rohan Rec Center, and saw a broken beer bottle scattered along the path. We spent about 10 minutes picking up all of the glass we could find. Trashy people are always going to be with us, but please...if you're going to litter, at least drink your beer from a can. Empty cans are so much easier to pick up!
Old 07-29-2022, 07:23 AM
Veteran member

In the early1990s when my in-laws moved to Central Florida we were always amazed during our visits that the roads were so clean and no litter to speak of. We thought this is great, so much better than our home in New England………..times have changed and the litter around roads in Central Florida now resemble the North East
Old 07-29-2022, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

I believe a lot of trash blows out of trucks and golf carts...
Old 07-29-2022, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
But bending is great for the waistline.

Life and sports require strength and flexibility: lifting, reaching, turning and bending move you through your day and keep you in the game. Bending exercises improve flexibility by stretching and opening tight areas of the body and by leveraging body weight to strengthen muscles and joints.

You still get the same exercise but you stop to bend and continue on.
Unless you use one of those gizmos that aid in reaching high places and picking up trash on the ground.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djean1981 View Post
Agree. We were driving behind a truck that had those trash bins that you see in parking lots. Out pops a large crushed up box, then a plastic bottle, then a huge piece of paper of some sort and that was all in a matter of 5 seconds. I can imagine the trail of debris that truck left because there was nothing to contain the trash that was being hauled.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djean1981 View Post
It must have just started falling and blowing out about 2 years ago or more slobs have moved in because the first few years we were here the MMP between O'Dell and Stillwater was like a Disney World Street. It's also possible the folks who take care of the area are far fewer than pre-Pandemic days and do less clean up vs. priority mowing and trimming. We've walked that MMP daily 99% of the days over the last 5+ years and it is noticeably and consistently worse WRT trash. While I would like to pick up what we see, we’re not going to carry a trash bag with us for the 6 miles every day we're on the streets & paths between Amelia and LSL and back.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:26 PM

Thanks to you and the others who pick up litter. We also do the trash pickup sometimes. It's easy to fill up a trash bag and use the trash cans at various rec centers, supermarkets etc. I hate seeing the trash among the beautiful landscaping that we have here in TV.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwarz View Post
I too do this every day. Usually empty cigarette packs, mini liquor bottles and beer cans
Says a lot about the qualities of the offender.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:40 AM
Thanked 1,137 Times in 248 Posts
Default Accident reasons?

Beer cans and liquor bottles left on the multi-modal paths just goes to show the major reason for all the rude, inattentive, speeding, and drunk golf cart drivers who get into crashes.
Closed Thread

Tags
trash, stop, golf, pick, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.