Civilized discussion on Recumbent Bikes on the street

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2018, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Civilized discussion on Recumbent Bikes on the street

I came back to SLS this morning from 466A and along the way picked up a stretched out group of cyclists using various types of bikes.

There were recumbent bikes, one bike very long and very close to the ground, one where the rider sits quite far off the ground and pedals with his legs quite high, two tandem recumbents and one double, side by side, recumbent bike. The traffic was light and I had the time to really notice this mode of riding. I could not help thinking that they would be so much safer on the cart path.

This is in no way meant to be a derogatory post, I know and understand fully that we are supposed to share the roads, but I cannot help feeling that these bikes on a Village main road are tempting fate. They are so low to the ground that they are difficult to see and it would only take a driver who maybe has poor sight, or who is not paying attention, to cause a dreadful accident.

What say you?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-22-2018, 11:38 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

I had the same situation, I drove around two trucks on Morse then went to pull back into the right lane, there they were, side by side, I did not see them until I started into the right lane. You are correct, they are accidents waiting to happen and I doubt a bike helmet is going to help them when hit by a car or truck. I don't think they're supposed to be 2 and 3 abreast either.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

A few momths ago I was heading north on Morse and there was this gentleman on his black recumbant bike,dressed in black, with just a small orange flag waving. It was already dark.

Totally stupid but evidence of the entitlement here in TV.

Wont be long before one of them is killed. As far as im comcermed just another Darwin Award camdidate.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

Accidents waiting to happen
Old 05-22-2018, 12:28 PM

Terrified of driving on the cart path since I got screamed out on my bike for stopping at a stop sign coming out from under a tunnel People are so mean
Old 05-22-2018, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

If you can't see a person on a recumbent bike, you shouldn't be driving a motor vehicle.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
If you can't see a person on a recumbent bike, you shouldn't be driving a motor vehicle.
and, of course, you are correct; however that does not stop people who should not be driving from driving. I can assure you that there are people with 20/70 vision still driving here and unless they see an eye doctor who is prepared to take their license they will drive. You do not have to have an eye test in Florida, you can just send in the form and you are back on the road.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-22-2018, 01:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I came back to SLS this morning from 466A and along the way picked up a stretched out group of cyclists using various types of bikes.

There were recumbent bikes, one bike very long and very close to the ground, one where the rider sits quite far off the ground and pedals with his legs quite high, two tandem recumbents and one double, side by side, recumbent bike. The traffic was light and I had the time to really notice this mode of riding. I could not help thinking that they would be so much safer on the cart path.

This is in no way meant to be a derogatory post, I know and understand fully that we are supposed to share the roads, but I cannot help feeling that these bikes on a Village main road are tempting fate. They are so low to the ground that they are difficult to see and it would only take a driver who maybe has poor sight, or who is not paying attention, to cause a dreadful accident.

What say you?

I say live and let live.

I don't have a lot to worry about but these kind of issues are not on any of my worry lists.

If we have made enough good decisions during our life to end up here in TV, what choices we are making now will probably work out just fine.

I think they are getting a lot more benefits from their activities than whatever perceived risks they may be taking.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 05-22-2018, 03:00 PM
Platinum member

If I was in a group of riders, I would use the streets. They are probably safer there than on the MMPs. Car drivers are more courteous than cart drivers.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
If I was in a group of riders, I would use the streets. They are probably safer there than on the MMPs. Car drivers are more courteous than cart drivers.
Good point. Everyone in front of me this morning gave the bikers a wide margin before returning to the right hand lane.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
If I was in a group of riders, I would use the streets...
Can't argue with that. But riding solo, I feel much safer on the MMPs...with my own set of safety rules of course.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Maybe correct, but the biker will be the one lying in the street, injured or dead
Old 05-22-2018, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Maybe correct, but the biker will be the one lying in the street, injured or dead
Obviously.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

What's more scary is driving a slingshot on 75 alongside a 18 wheeler. Have seen several out there.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-22-2018, 03:59 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
True but it's how soon do you see it, maybe not soon enough. And then don't forget about our Texting drivers. There is no way I would ride one of them in a 35 MPH zone but it's legal and to each his own.
Closed Thread

Tags
bikes, recumbent, ground, side, bike

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.