Traveling to Jamaica or Aruba??

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2021, 06:10 PM

Jamaica, never again, never felt safe leaving the 5 star resort, even taxi driver carried, scary place, best part of the trip, getting on the plane heading home to USA.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:05 AM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

Been to both places multiple times, both have their own beauty, Aruba was known for this! If locals would ever steal from or hurt in any way an American or Dutchman they would be in great jeopardy! I have roamed the streets of Aruba day n night and absolutely never was uncomfortable. My opinion, felt more safe then in many American cities. Jamaica has its beauty and a lot of sweet people, however at times dangerous! For the most part a stroll down a town street at night is not advised. Extreme caution in day time! Would live and raise family in Aruba
Old 11-25-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Sorry, but having travelled a lot, I stand by my recommendation. I always felt like I was getting ripped off in foreign countries, and it was often not safe. Not just crime, but the lack of road safety provisions, food safety, medical care, utilities, etc. I will never forget the bus ride in Mexico from the airport to the hotel. The tires had no tread (as an engineer, I check these things), and the driver was speeding on winding roads, with inadequate guard rails, along a hilly road overlooking the ocean. But, thanks for the movie recommendation.
Regarding Hawaii, I'll throw out this opinion. I'm guessing I've been to Hawaii more than 99% of the people on TOTV. We've been there 87 times over 30 years. In fact, we just got back. Now that I'm done bragging, Hawaii is FABULOUS. Gas is indeed high but the weather (almost always 83 F), the beautiful water and landscape, and the sites to see clearly make it a great trip. Is the flight there fun? No, but it's worth it. MCO to HNL is roughly 10 hours.
Old 11-25-2021, 04:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,478 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneko View Post
We are heading to Curacao for the 12th time. Very safe island. Higher standard of living than most of the Caribbean. Potable water - in fact some of the best water anywhere straight from the tap. New hospital. Most citizens speak English along with Dutch, Papiamento, Portuguese, Spanish. Incredible snorkeling right from shore. Willemstad is a World Heritage City. Easy to navigate. International cuisine. Wonderful fish.
I really cannot say enough.
Several years ago, our cruise stopped in Curacao and we spent half a day there. I thought it was wonderful, and have wanted to travel there so I can explore more of the island.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Been to Jamaica once on a cruise. When we returned to Miami we were not allowed into the airport until we and our luggage was search out on the sidewalk, will never go back.

As for Aruba, we have a timeshare but this is the 2nd year we will miss because of COVID. Can’t wait until next year to be able to go. Never an issue there.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:26 PM

We went to Aruba in June with family (nine of us). Great time. No worries.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:21 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Jamaica

Went to all inclusives in Jamaica for years. Was our way of destressing. In the early years, did the tourist things (Falls, etc), but then just enjoyed the beautiful water, sand beaches, run punches and reggaie music at a quality hotel. Would go again without a problem.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:31 AM

The BEST thing about going to Jamaica is Club MoBay at the airport. A concierge service - they meet you as you get off the plane, assist you in filling out paperwork properly, expedite you through customs and immigration and assist in finding your transport. Departing they have a great lounge with meals, drinks, massages and showers.
Every airport should offer this service. Going into Cancun airport is a zoo.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Have not been to either in two years due to Covid.

Would go to Aruba in a heartbeat and going soon. Jamaica been there several times and tired of being offered drugs with a cop next to me waiting to arrest me.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:27 PM
Veteran member

We are doing a Southern Carib cruise in late February that goes to St. Martin and the ABC's from San Juan. Can't wait to get back on a cruise ship (and lie on the beach in Aruba). Anyone else sailing on Explorer of the Seas departing 2/20?

k.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:36 AM
Platinum member

Jamaica is not safe. I would never go there again.

I loved Aruba.

Last edited by patfla06; 12-04-2021 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,113 Posts

Quote:
I have never understood why people want to travel to other countries, especially these small islands. Every time I travelled outside the U.S. for work, I was always disappointed by the inferior quality, reduced safety, and higher prices for almost everything. If you want to go to a nice place with a beach, go to Hawaii.
Your negative posts about everyplace you’ve worked remind me of many guys I’ve talked to in different places in the world I operated in , I’ll admit there was usually some kind of disorder , war, civil unrest , coups , rebellion, but these guys lived in compounds or behind walls never mixing with the people , getting there high priced salaries and tax benefits and always complaining , about everything , since I retired 23 years ago I’m still hearing people complain about those people and there crime and poverty while staying in all inclusive resorts ,maybe you could all try to mix with those people or at least stop badmouthing people and places you’ve never been . There are people on this site that are all wired and locked in loaded because of crime here, it may seem foolish to many but the same goes for those who travel, maybe letting the wind at your back take you for a ride might very well turn out to be a good adventure , for me now that I’ve had my shots and booster I’ll most likely be back in Thailand in feb and march alone and rarely mixing with Americans
Old 11-28-2021, 11:02 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
I have never understood why people want to travel to other countries, especially these small islands. Every time I travelled outside the U.S. for work, I was always disappointed by the inferior quality, reduced safety, and higher prices for almost everything. If you want to go to a nice place with a beach, go to Hawaii.

"I have never understood why people want to travel to other countries..."

I think Mark Twain said it best:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”
Old 11-28-2021, 12:35 PM
Veteran member

"I haven't been everywhere but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

(My iPod is engraved with: "I haven't cruised everywhere but it's on my list.")

k.
Closed Thread

Tags
jamaica, booked, traveling, cancel, resort

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.