Tree Cutting News

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Platinum member

An offer of amnesty! Anything is progress.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNJ View Post
Interesting position/approach to take, for sure. However, I'm not so sure it is entirely just their call to make. For instance, aren't all CDD's south of 466A, like 5-10, all sharing in the costs on this? Why would only 1 CDD get to make the call on pursuing prosecution? The other thing that may not be entirely clear here is whether the local (County) or State authorities actually need any entity within TV to pursue legal action, in order for them to bring charges against those involved, once they knew who they were, and had sufficient evidence to bring charges.
You are correct that the State Attorney decides whether or not to bring charges in any criminal case, even if the victim does not want to press charges. So it is not strictly up to The Villages and they cannot elect to drop charges unless the State Attorney agrees. It is totally different in a civil case. And then there is the question of who the perpetrator is. One can't really bring criminal or civil charges without someone to charge. It sounds like they have come up with the easiest solution to remedy the problem with no mea culpas.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Kid 2 View Post
You are correct that the State Attorney decides whether or not to bring charges in any criminal case, even if the victim does not want to press charges. So it is not strictly up to The Villages and they cannot elect to drop charges unless the State Attorney agrees. It is totally different in a civil case. And then there is the question of who the perpetrator is. One can't really bring criminal or civil charges without someone to charge. It sounds like they have come up with the easiest solution to remedy the problem with no mea culpas.
Hi Village Kid: First the OP's post generates more questions than it answers.
However the rest of your story is a civil action vis a vis a criminal. If there is as much information available as the OP's comments suggest then if CDD-5-10 are called upon to pay damages they have a right to sue the responsibility parties under tort law. An attorney representing the district, CDD's etc cna and should file against the tree cutting company. the tree cutting company would sue the people that hired them for relief. Provided the tortfeasors are known as the OP's comments suggest
Old 07-17-2015, 01:42 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Good grief ---did somebody die from this? Who knows but what anyone of us wouldn't have done the same thing if some trees had grown up blocking our view we had paid "thousand" of dollars on the lake.

Maybe the parties (including the professional tree trimmers) didn't know the trees couldn't legally be cut. Rip rap could solve the problem without blocking a view of the lake---matter of fact a better solution than a government one.

This has nothing to do with how much money a person may saved and worked a
Lifetime to accumulate. It's a matter of fairness.

Last edited by justjim; 07-17-2015 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

This thread is going in the same direction as the previous one. Some of the posts look like duplicates. Same old, same old...............
Old 07-17-2015, 03:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

CDD 5 does not know who did it ! They are simply offering an amnesty of sorts if those responsible come forward in public or private and make restitution to the district. Period ! And Ms. Tutt has checked with the state attorneys office and YES, amnesty can be offered and accepted by the district. I am only assuming the information reported by the on line news is factual in this case.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Good grief ---did somebody die from this? Who knows but what anyone of us wouldn't have done the same thing if some trees had grown up blocking our view we had paid "thousand" of dollars on the lake.

Maybe the parties (including the professional tree trimmers) didn't know the trees couldn't legally be cut. Rip rap could solve the problem without blocking a view of the lake---matter of fact a better solution than a government one.

This has nothing to do with how much money a person may saved and worked a
Lifetime to accumulate. It's a matter of fairness.
Nice satirical post, at first I thought you were serious
Old 07-17-2015, 04:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
From today's news...

THE VILLAGES - District 5 supervisors announced Friday that they would not take legal action against the party or parties responsible for illegal tree cutting activity along Lake Miona last year, if the district is reimbursed for its costs of replacing the trees. CDD5 supervisors said those responsible could submit restitution anonymously.
Hate to be the one to say it, but could this just be a bone thrown to the masses to make it look like someone (supervisors et al) is REALLY trying to find the culprits. Maybe poli tically expedient.

It may not even be true, and if it is, IMO nothing will come of it. The amount in question rose from 40k to 100k or so already. Puleez don't let them hire lawyers!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naneiben View Post
Hate to be the one to say it, but could this just be a bone thrown to the masses to make it look like someone (supervisors et al) is REALLY trying to find the culprits. Maybe poli tically expedient.

It may not even be true, and if it is, IMO nothing will come of it. The amount in question rose from 40k to 100k or so already. Puleez don't let them hire lawyers!
To me, restitution is appropriate but really financialy rather insignifigant.
This crime begs for prosecution. If pressure is maintained , it is my opinion that someone will eventually crack or slip.

I don't understand why the CDD's don't raise the the reward. It won't cost anything unless valid info is given.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:49 AM
Veteran member

I bet if they sent a bill to everyone on that street that someone would 'rat out' the guilty party.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:12 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeagle65 View Post
I bet if they sent a bill to everyone on that street that someone would 'rat out' the guilty party.
In essence we are all paying the bill. I haven't seen any "rats" tuning yet. Just the ones in plam trees... Is $1000 enough is may someone turn on thier neighbor?
Old 07-18-2015, 09:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

It doesn't work that way - you can't just send a bill to someone for something they didn't do. You can sue them but without evidence you may not prevail. If there was evidence then we wouldn't have this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeagle65 View Post
Old 07-20-2015, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Never mind.................
Old 07-20-2015, 05:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
It is really surprising that the sheriff's department, which had shown itself to be very competent in solving other crimes has not been able to solve this one. It makes one wonder WHY?

In an earlier life, I worked on some fairly sophisticated criminal investigations and solving this crime looks like child's play. It seems obvious that one or more of four homeowners is the perpetrator. Since all four homeowners benefited by the tree cutting, it is likely that the initiator contacted the other three to request sharing of the costs. In addition, when one looks at the number of houses in close proximity to the scene of the crime and thinks of the noise and commotion involved in taking down the trees, the operation must have been the talk of the neighborhood. It was certainly observed by a number the neighbors who must know who is responsible for it.

In addition, the perpetrator had to contact and pay a tree-cutting service to do the actual work. That contacting and payment would have left a trail that could be uncovered.

Therefore, a serious investigator would take steps like the following:
1. Subpoena the phone, credit card, and bank records of the four logical suspects for the relevant period of time.
2. Interview/subpoena, and perhaps offer immunity to, any tree-cutting services called or paid, by any of the four.
3. Subpoena, before a grand jury, the neighbors in the immediate vicinity and find out what they really know about the matter. How many people are willing to risk a perjury conviction to cover for a neighbor?
4. Subpoena all four of the suspects, cutting a deal if necessary to nail the initiator of the project.

However, this kind of rigorous investigation would engender a lot of bad publicity, perhaps even nationwide bad publicity, for The Villages.
not to mention ticking off some very wealthy people
Old 07-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Everyone has automatically assumed the restittion is being offered to one of the folks who live on that street that allgedly did the deed.

Some other hypothesis?

The no questions asked restitution offer could be for anyone responsible. For example what if one of the listers of the property for sale where the trees were removed was a guilty party? I am not saying they are but one guess is as good as another with no proof to date.....that we are aware of anyway.

Or how about some "agent" of TV (take a wild guess...any could suffice for this example) was responsible. Not possible? Probably not, but stranger things happen. I can just visualize somebody on the named street calling whoever to report trees being cut down in a protected area. The report is processed. Then all of a sudden there is a loud and thunderous.....OH S**T!

Just like folks on TOTV like to play games like 3 word sentences or word continuation.....how about other possibilities.

To date I have not heard anything that is publicly available tha would allow me to accept with a reasonable doubt that it was in fact one of the home owners. Certainly they are the most likely suspects.

As I have posted previously I am suspect at how quickly the folks at TV rolled over and announced they were picking up the tab. Things like this just do not move that quickly in TV.

I may be as wrong as wrong can be but I am entitled to how I see it.

Assigning the cause to the "wealthy" as some few would trumpet only shows lack of understanding. I would be willing to bet a beer there are more wealthy people living in non premier homes in TV than there are in premier homes. Additionally there are no doubt many non wealthy people living in premier homes......anyway the fantasy of wealth at the root of the issue is a lark....for some few.

OK let the creativity flow like a good mystery.
Closed Thread

Tags
district, tree, supervisors, responsible, news, cutting, reimbursed, year, miona, lake, trees, submit, restitution, anonymously, replacing, cdd5, costs, parties, announced, friday, todays, villages, party, illegal, action

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.