Movie Pass

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Platinum member
Default Movie Pass

Here's an idea. How about selling an annual pass to the three movie theaters in The Villages?

I wonder if the three theaters have the same owner because this idea would work better if they are.

Sell an annual pass good for one year from the date of purchase. Let's assume that a person goes to the movies about once a week. I suspect that is more than average, but we'll use that for our discussion. That means one person spends $30 a month on admission, not counting concessions. So let's say you can buy an annual pass to go to as many movies as you like for a year for say $325. That's for one person in one site. An additional choice would be to add another $25 and you make that good for all three sites, or simply make three site pass the only option. You might even calculate the cost of a couples annual pass.

I believe that would get more people attending the movies, thus driving up concession sales. And let's face it, that's where the profit comes when they sell you a dollars worth of popcorn for 4 or 5 bucks, etc. They would get the total price on the front end, thus making cash flow more predictable, and could invest the surplus during the year making it more valuable than the initial payment.

What do you think? Pros and cons? Would you buy one? I think I would.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I would, and it would cause me to go to the movies more often. It's just not something I think about unless my snowbird neighbor is down.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:13 PM
Sage

I'd certainly consider it.

Go Reds.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Sage

I wouldn't go for it. We love the movies but only go about once a month, then only to a move we think we'd really like. Too many kid movies or science fiction which we don't like.
My son every year at Christmas sends us a gift card for the movies here and it can be used in all three theaters and the concession stands. We get 2 movies out of it plus popcorn and Pepsi.
I'd rather see a system of get a card punched and every 10 punches get a free movie, but paying up front wouldn't suite us. Just our opinion.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

You can buy a gift card that is good at all three.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:20 PM

We would do it. We miss movie theater incentives down here. Back where we come from the cinemas compete with each other. One has $5 movies on Tuesdays and $5 movies any day before 6pm. Same theater also has a phone app that you turn on during the movie and the next time you come it rewards you with either a free coke, popcorn or hot dog. All the other cinemas offer reward cards to gain free movies or concessions. We also buy a large reusable plastic popcorn bucket for $25 on the first of the year and anytime we bring it back within the year we get refills for only $2.00

It is very easy to spend $25 in TV for two tickets, one coke and one bag of popcorn, any time or day of the week! We are used to paying $12-$15 for the same things elsewhere. We now find we are using Redbox a lot more because of these higher costs. We would buy annual passes because we watch a lot of movies and prefer to watch them on the big screen. It would be nice to at least have either early bird discount tickets or an after 9pm discount for us night owls.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

If the theater owners who risked hard earned money in order to provide Villagers with a venue that many seem to be thankful for think an annual pass is a worthwhile option, I'm for it.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I'd rather see a system of get a card punched and every 10 punches get a free movie, but paying up front wouldn't suite us. Just our opinion.
I agree that this would be a better way. The problem with the original idea is that you would have people "sharing" their annual pass. We had an annual pass for the recreation facilities where I worked and this was an ongoing problem... and the passes were only $5.00!

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Old 01-19-2015, 08:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt. View Post
I agree that this would be a better way. The problem with the original idea is that you would have people "sharing" their annual pass. We had an annual pass for the recreation facilities where I worked and this was an ongoing problem... and the passes were only $5.00!
Good point, but easily fixed if you require the user to show a photo ID when using the pass.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I wonder if that would, in some way, violate the "licensing" agreement the theaters have with the film distributor/studio. As I understand it, the theaters pay a certain amount of each ticket sold to the distributors/studio. Anyone know how this stuff works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
Here's an idea. How about selling an annual pass to the three movie theaters in The Villages?

I wonder if the three theaters have the same owner because this idea would work better if they are.

Sell an annual pass good for one year from the date of purchase. Let's assume that a person goes to the movies about once a week. I suspect that is more than average, but we'll use that for our discussion. That means one person spends $30 a month on admission, not counting concessions. So let's say you can buy an annual pass to go to as many movies as you like for a year for say $325. That's for one person in one site. An additional choice would be to add another $25 and you make that good for all three sites, or simply make three site pass the only option. You might even calculate the cost of a couples annual pass.

I believe that would get more people attending the movies, thus driving up concession sales. And let's face it, that's where the profit comes when they sell you a dollars worth of popcorn for 4 or 5 bucks, etc. They would get the total price on the front end, thus making cash flow more predictable, and could invest the surplus during the year making it more valuable than the initial payment.

What do you think? Pros and cons? Would you buy one? I think I would.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I wonder if that would, in some way, violate the "licensing" agreement the theaters have with the film distributor/studio. As I understand it, the theaters pay a certain amount of each ticket sold to the distributors/studio. Anyone know how this stuff works?
A few years ago, I was living in Maryland and bought an annual pass at a movie multi-plex theater that had 3 screens. I seem to recall that I bought the pass through Groupon.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Do you recall what it cost? I assume it was all first run movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
A few years ago, I was living in Maryland and bought an annual pass at a movie multi-plex theater that had 3 screens. I seem to recall that I bought the pass through Groupon.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Did a quick google and found this.

Netflix For Movie Theaters? Boston Chain To Offer ‘Unlimited’ Moviegoing Pass « CBS Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
Old 01-19-2015, 11:45 AM

Sorry, I don't recall the cost, but I know I could average less than a movie a week to come out ahead. All movies were first run movies. The theater was about 30 minutes from my home.

If the offer were available here, I would buy a pass.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:47 PM
Platinum member

Anyone know who owns the theaters?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.