TREX type decking for CYV

Old 03-31-2024, 10:06 AM

I don’t have any knowledge of contractors down here…only thing I can add, if you weren’t aware, TREX &composite decking gets extremely hot in direct sun. It will act like a radiator underneath your chairs and definitely no bare feet. Just my $.02. Good luck with your project
Old 03-31-2024, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie&Viv View Post
We used composite decking TREX to create a 20ft floating bench from a lanai wall. The decking is holding up well to the weather. only areas of minute wear is at attachment points. approx 40sqft of material used.
LOVE IT who did your work?
Old 03-31-2024, 12:28 PM
Default ARC/Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
I did.... The setbacks from property lines are not ARC but county. Per county zoning officials as long as the structure is less than 24 inches off the ground you can build right up to the wall. The only problem with a patio paver extension is you'd have to match it up with the existing concrete slab and somehow get it perfect. Are used to work in concrete and that is very difficult to do and maintain long term. The weight of concrete definitely becomes an issue. The thought is building a low ground deck that covers the concrete slab and the adjacent area outside of it. This will ensure that everything is perfectly level.
You need to call Community Standards and double check if you need ARC approval. Do not confuse county codes and regulations with your deed restrictions.
Old 03-31-2024, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkee View Post
You need to call Community Standards and double check if you need ARC approval. Do not confuse county codes and regulations with your deed restrictions.
You must have missed it when he said he has been to ARC, they said ok and he has it in writing. Now down to contractors and product.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-01-2024, 05:37 AM

Quote:
We have a CYV in Marsh Bend. We have an 8'x16 concrete slab off the lania. We want to extend the area to the back concrete wall, and at the same time raise it to the floor level of the lania.

Extending the concrete slab would be a doable option....but very expensive. Question: Does anyone have any experience with TREX decking down here? I would assume in this wet and harsh climate not only the decking boards but the structure would need to be of a composite type material and not green treated.
Maybe the name of a contractor who builds ground decks with TREX?

We just used Jesus Santana @850 240 4828 who is located in Leesburg. Did a great job rebuilding our neighbors deck in trex and then did ours a week later.. all work done by him personally and very professional.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:01 AM
Default Was this Replacing Decking over Pressure Treated Structure or Ground Contact Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwarz View Post
We just used Jesus Santana @850 240 4828 who is located in Leesburg. Did a great job rebuilding our neighbors deck in trex and then did ours a week later.. all work done by him personally and very professional.
OP is interested in a ground contact deck. The jobs referenced seem to be replace deck with TREX over existing support structure and not ground contact?
TREX website states that TREX is not suitable for ground contact. TREX is more flexible than Pressure Treated decking and often it is recommended to use 12 inch spacing versus typical 16 inch. Also, TREX has more expansion with temperature change. Have you experienced any increased flexing with the decking or any expansion problems? Were any support modifications done?
Old 04-01-2024, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I did.... The setbacks from property lines are not ARC but county. Per county zoning officials as long as the structure is less than 24 inches off the ground you can build right up to the wall. The only problem with a patio paver extension is you'd have to match it up with the existing concrete slab and somehow get it perfect. Are used to work in concrete and that is very difficult to do and maintain long term. The weight of concrete definitely becomes an issue. The thought is building a low ground deck that covers the concrete slab and the adjacent area outside of it. This will ensure that everything is perfectly level.
You do not want perfectly level. You want some slope to drain rain water away.
Old 04-01-2024, 10:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ton80 View Post
OP is interested in a ground contact deck. The jobs referenced seem to be replace deck with TREX over existing support structure and not ground contact?
TREX website states that TREX is not suitable for ground contact. TREX is more flexible than Pressure Treated decking and often it is recommended to use 12 inch spacing versus typical 16 inch. Also, TREX has more expansion with temperature change. Have you experienced any increased flexing with the decking or any expansion problems? Were any support modifications done?
OP here... No I am not interested in a "ground contact" deck. All decking has a supporting structure called Joists. This is what the deck is connected to. This deck will sit on these joists and even they are slightly off the ground...and by ground I mean dirt. I think you are referring to a decking board glued right to the surface of say a old concrete slab. Don't know if TREX works here or not, since that is not my intention.
Old 04-01-2024, 10:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwarz View Post
Thank you....this is the information I was looking for!!!
Old 04-01-2024, 11:13 AM

Quote:
OP here... No I am not interested in a "ground contact" deck. All decking has a supporting structure called Joists. This is what the deck is connected to. This deck will sit on these joists and even they are slightly off the ground...and by ground I mean dirt. I think you are referring to a decking board glued right to the surface of say a old concrete slab. Don't know if TREX works here or not, since that is not my intention.
Your Original Question: Does anyone have any experience with TREX decking down here? I would assume in this wet and harsh climate not only the decking boards but the structure would need to be of a composite type material and not green treated.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your mention of ground deck to mean ground contact. I know what joists are since many years ago I had a building company as a side gig and built a number of decks and complete houses.

IMHO using composite material for support structure such as posts and joists with minimal clearances from soil. or sand etc. will be problematic due to high humid conditions. TREX site states that TREX decking is usually supported by pressure treated wood components. Some Lumber Co. sites recommend 18 inch spacing from deck to ground to get adequate ventilation to avoid cupping of the deck boards. Your description suggests this would not be possible.

Good luck with your project!
Old 04-01-2024, 02:28 PM
Default Trex

I like TREX and definitely better than wood.
However, one question would be how much sun does the area receive. TREX does get very hot, and it will warp and fade over time. There is another product that is similar but doesn't absorb as much heat. Research the products available. The SUN question is very important because concrete and pavers will also get hot unless you paint the concrete with a "cool deck" paint like used around pools.
Quote:
We have a CYV in Marsh Bend. We have an 8'x16 concrete slab off the lania. We want to extend the area to the back concrete wall, and at the same time raise it to the floor level of the lania.

Extending the concrete slab would be a doable option....but very expensive. Question: Does anyone have any experience with TREX decking down here? I would assume in this wet and harsh climate not only the decking boards but the structure would need to be of a composite type material and not green treated.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Not true… The county setback of 5 feet only applies to "structures" that exceed 24 inches in height from the ground. This deck will be slightly above ground level, therefore I can build right up to the wall. This information came from the Sumter County planning and zoning department.
OP, I got a different answer from Sumter County than you did. As I said, I have never heard of an exception to the setback rules for structures less than 24 inches high, so I asked that specific question. Although it may not be perfectly clear, here is the answer that I got by email:

Hello,
Here is the latest update on your ticket that Jennifer Bryla
from the Planning is handling:

No setback lines always apply.

On 2024 M04 1 19:40:41 UTC, Jeannette Quijano customersupport@sumtercountyfl.gov wrote:

Please advise

Bryla, Jennifer,
Sumter County BOCC
(352)689-4400.

I would suggest that you ask Sumter County again and get it in writing.

Tags
trex, decking, concrete, type, lania

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.