Trivia at City Fire

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
This is the time of year that the staff can finally make some good money. Remember we have a lot of young people & single parents trying hard to make a living. It can get really slow in the summer.
Cut them a little slack. After the snowbirds & renters leave we will have the place to ourselves again.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 PM

I just started playing Trivia at City Fire by invitation from one of the great neighborhoods in The Villages, I love it and the waitress is great. I don't mind ordering a small salad or soup to keep the money flowing for them. I have a great time and it's really pretty reasonable to sit at a table from 6-8:30 for less than $20.00. Sometimes I'm not that hungry but want to keep the table for all of the good times so I order something light. Food is not all that great sometimes but they are really good at making adjustments to please the table if the food isn't up to par. I think its a great evening and fun time with my friends don't mind paying the xtra for food...
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
I just started playing Trivia at City Fire by invitation from one of the great neighborhoods in The Villages, I love it and the waitress is great. I don't mind ordering a small salad or soup to keep the money flowing for them. I have a great time and it's really pretty reasonable to sit at a table from 6-8:30 for less than $20.00. Sometimes I'm not that hungry but want to keep the table for all of the good times so I order something light. Food is not all that great sometimes but they are really good at making adjustments to please the table if the food isn't up to par. I think its a great evening and fun time with my friends don't mind paying the xtra for food...
Please look at what you wrote from the side of the management and from the servers. Ordering a small salad or soup is not going to keep the money flowing for them for the 2 1/2 hours you are at the table. That table could have turned over 3 times with higher revenue for the restaurant and 3 times the tips for the servers.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
The other side is yesterday my wife and I couldnt get a table outside, the bar was full and the inside was closed for trivia so they lost our business, of course every since they took sloppy joes off the menu I dont go as offten as I use too
NO!NO!...not the Sloppy Joes.....tell me it isn't so.........
Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,924 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Please look at what you wrote from the side of the management and from the servers. Ordering a small salad or soup is not going to keep the money flowing for them for the 2 1/2 hours you are at the table. That table could have turned over 3 times with higher revenue for the restaurant and 3 times the tips for the servers.
That's it in a nutshell.

They are in business to sell food and drink. They can't stay in business if they don't. The high season is when they make more money to get them though the dry season.

AND.....The restaurants are going to HAVE to up their prices here soon too. I see a huge increase in our grocery bill.

I don't think their changes are meant to be personal, it is just economics 101. Or as they say in Ohio, "making hay while the sun shines.".
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,212 Times in 1,950 Posts

How often is Trivia played at City Fire? Is this the reason why it is so busy all the time?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Eternal Member

A restaurant is in business to make money. That means selling food & drinks. I actually know someone that brags that they play trivia, get 1 glass of "house" wine & add ice to it. She said it's $4.00 with the tip & she has a nice cheap fun evening out. REALLY ????
Then you hear a small salad or soup to keep the money flowing !! And who can make money off of a small salad ?
If these were our kids working there & trying to make a living on this, I'm sure we would not be happy !!! Just sayin' !
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Sage

This is the first I've heard that Trivia is played at City Fire. I'm trying to understand why the establishment would give up those tables for an extended period of time and forgo the opportunity to generate some real income for the restaurant and tips for their servers.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
This is the first I've heard that Trivia is played at City Fire. I'm trying to understand why the establishment would give up those tables for an extended period of time and forgo the opportunity to generate some real income for the restaurant and tips for their servers.
I agree. I think they should play it in the summer months & not when we are in season. Some people are actually bringing in peanuts & other stuff for their snacks. They need to remember this is a restaurant, not a Rec Center !!!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Sage

We've had 2 tables at trivia (16 people) since April. When the manager asked that we spend $8 +- per person, we had no problem with that. They can't provide the venue and entertainment every Sunday for nothing.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 AM

I order drinks also, I posted that I spend $20 for my bill plus a tip...The whole table of 8 spends at least that per person and more. If $20 a head is cheap, then I will quit playing. I order more on some weeks for food, so if $8.00 is the expectation and $20 + tip is what I spend, and the table is spending $160 or more, why the harsh criticisms? this is why I don't like posting on this site too much, people are so critical and harsh without reading the full thread or the OP..
Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 AM
Gold member

Quote:
A restaurant is in business to make money. That means selling food & drinks. I actually know someone that brags that they play trivia, get 1 glass of "house" wine & add ice to it. She said it's $4.00 with the tip & she has a nice cheap fun evening out. REALLY ????
Then you hear a small salad or soup to keep the money flowing !! And who can make money off of a small salad ?
If these were our kids working there & trying to make a living on this, I'm sure we would not be happy !!! Just sayin' !
I agree! The restaurants are in the business to make money. The servers work hard and are always hustling at City Fire. They rely on tips to make a living! This time of year it is hard to get into City Fire on any given night...I can wait until summer! We do go down to Taverna Red on Thursday nights. We go early and our team has dinner and drinks and play trivia. I have also been to trivia at the rec centers. Try them!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
I agree. I think they should play it in the summer months & not when we are in season. Some people are actually bringing in peanuts & other stuff for their snacks. They need to remember this is a restaurant, not a Rec Center !!!
You can't be serious! I blame the manager for allowing that.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
We've had 2 tables at trivia (16 people) since April. When the manager asked that we spend $8 +- per person, we had no problem with that. They can't provide the venue and entertainment every Sunday for nothing.
Generating a minimum of $8 per person for an extended period (someone said 2 1/2 hours) is an absolute joke. I agree that the trivia games should be put on hold while the seasonal folks are here. Give the snowbirds the opportunity to spend some REAL MONEY in these restaurants.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Eternal Member

The place is packed. You can't always see if someone is munching on their own snacks.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.