Is it true about Costco?

Old 04-28-2024, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,187 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
Costco will have to raise their prices here since The Villages will have to get their cut.
Is the location by Hobby Lobby owned by The Villages?
Old 04-28-2024, 06:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,627 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Yes
Old 04-28-2024, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,155 Times in 5,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Suspect the developer gave them a good deal to take this property
Old 04-28-2024, 06:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Suspect the developer gave them a good deal to take this property
Goldwing new video states Costco has been in the works for few years, so guess there was a lot of back and forth for the property. But can’t imagine developers gave them much. If you remember not that long ago PF Chang’s was coming to Brownwood, Then it wasn’t.
So deal or no deal, developers have upper hand.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:48 PM
Default Don't say I didn't tell you . . .

Sam's club has their memberships on sale for $14. Normally $50:
"Offer valid through April 30, 2024." Lucky we let ours expire 6 weeks ago.

When my car needed a battery, Sam's put one in.
Costco - "Cash and carry; we don't install."
Old 04-28-2024, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,155 Times in 5,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Goldwing new video states Costco has been in the works for few years, so guess there was a lot of back and forth for the property. But can’t imagine developers gave them much. If you remember not that long ago PF Chang’s was coming to Brownwood, Then it wasn’t.
Not so sure. Sams and BJ are outside the villages property so most likely less cost for real estate. Very competitive business and Costco is not going to start off behind their competitors.

Lots of other places for Costco to locate sure they had good reasons for this location
Old 04-28-2024, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I think you are in the minority, BJ's Sam's and Costco all have memberships. And since they are surviving Nationally there must be an advantage to joining, Maybe you should investigate what they provide rather than taking your position....I suspect those that are members smile at your repetitive position.

Smile away, I’m not stopping anyone who joins or been members. I was member of sams club 20 plus years ago. Figured out I could get same things at Walmart without over spending bulk items.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
Costco will have to raise their prices here since The Villages will have to get their cut.
Every place that Costco is located they have rent to pay.

Also from the Villages Commercial Property division (Scott Renick):

Quote:
What’s the No. 1 myth being perpetuated about commercial leasing in The Villages?

That every business in The Villages pays to The Villages Developer a percentage of every dollar they take in. I have heard this from the first day, and it is completely false.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:13 PM

It will be interesting to see how much business the new Costco will take away from Sam's, BJ's, and nearby gas stations.

I would think that most people who shop at the previously listed big box stores do so by default only because of convenience/proximity, and due to the fact that there isn't currently a Costco in The Villages. I'm sure there are a few holdouts who will claim that those existing stores are better. They are incorrect.

The residents of Middleton in particular should be quite happy with the news.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Smile away, I’m not stopping anyone who joins or been members. I was member of sams club 20 plus years ago. Figured out I could get same things at Walmart without over spending bulk items.
It’s a personal choice where to shop. Some don’t find what they buy will fit into the membership mode. For us Costco glasses more than pays for our membership every year. This is the first for us buying glasses in TV. Our Optometrist was $468” Tried the cheap online, cost for one pair was $346. Two other optometrist’s buy one get one was $297 but very cheap plastic frames.

Costco same script titanium frames with green photo tinted at Costco $159.

Since chemo has destroyed my 20/20 vision, it also changes my site sometimes multiple times a day, so have 4 different scripts for difficult days.

Last year our check back from Costco was $267. Pays for our membership and a pair of glasses
Old 04-29-2024, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,809 Times in 1,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma318 View Post
It will be interesting to see how much business the new Costco will take away from Sam's, BJ's, and nearby gas stations.

I would think that most people who shop at the previously listed big box stores do so by default only because of convenience/proximity, and due to the fact that there isn't currently a Costco in The Villages. I'm sure there are a few holdouts who will claim that those existing stores are better. They are incorrect.

The residents of Middleton in particular should be quite happy with the news.
Existing business will also loose experienced/trained employees/managers to COSTCO.

The Clermont COSTCO is probably a faster/easier drive most times from Middleton and other southern Villages than driving north/south through the Villages.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,513 Times in 1,912 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
That is how business works. To make money. There is no shame in that. It is a matter of negotiation. Of course the developers have the upper hand. That doesn't make them wrong or bad or evil or stupid. Money is a very important factor in this world and we all should have a little too much rather than not quite enough.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Existing business will also loose experienced/trained employees/managers to COSTCO.

The Clermont COSTCO is probably a faster/easier drive most times from Middleton and other southern Villages than driving north/south through the Villages.
I agree pike is less than 2 miles for us, to Clermont, plus a pleather of great restaurants. If we are in the area will drop into new Costco, but that doesn’t happen often. But still very happy Costco is coming and very glad we have so little retail in the south.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:04 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,546 Times in 722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Analysis. Costco Wholesale's effective tax rate for fiscal years ending September 2019 to 2023 averaged 24.2%. Costco Wholesale's operated at median effective tax rate of 24.4% from fiscal years ending September 2019 to 2023.

The Complete Toolbox For Investors | finbox.com.
A great misconception here, they didn't pay a dime of taxes out of their profits, the taxes were taken out before profits. Businesses don't pay taxes, they collect taxes and pass them on to the government, the customer/end user pays the taxes. If you raise taxes on a business they raise their price to cover the increase in costs. To a business taxes are no different of an expense than labor, material, fuel/energy, etc., it's just another part of the cost deliver the product that will be marked up to make their final profit. Any business that doesn't understand this concept and operate in this manner quickly goes out of business.

The big lie in Washington DC is to raise corporate taxes and not raise taxes on the people, total BS, the people will always pay the higher tax bill.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 04-29-2024, 07:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is how business works. To make money. There is no shame in that. It is a matter of negotiation. Of course the developers have the upper hand. That doesn't make them wrong or bad or evil or stupid. Money is a very important factor in this world and we all should have a little too much rather than not quite enough.
My post wasn’t about attacking the developers as you are posting. But not the first time you jump on a post because you “Think” someone is unhappy with developers.

My post was responding to someone who thought developers gave them a deal.

My comment was about Costco has been in the works for years according to Goldwing.

So maybe a little back and forth, but developers still have the upper hand.

Tags
true, costco, lobby, hobby, built

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.