Is it true what the police told me about mowers blocking my driveway?

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,570 Times in 3,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
OK. Everyone agrees that they should not have parked there. But, the OP did not have the right to move the mower. It was on the street, not on his property. That is the question he is asking - "Was I wrong for moving the mower". Yes it is an inconvenience that many of us have gone through. But you just have to go looking for them to move it.

When someone does something wrong, that does not give you the right to do something wrong back. We all taught our children that.
Yup.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,046 Times in 1,757 Posts

The valuable information consist of photos, videos, name of company etc. I think OP was kind to not mention some of these things publicly. Who do you think would hire or keep such inconsiderate individuals?

To OP I would look at your video but I’m not in TV at this time.

I find it amazing that some people don’t seem to realize that attitude will be met with stronger attitude, so why go there?
Old 08-12-2019, 12:56 PM
Sage

I’m just wondering what most of us folks would do if our driveway was blocked like this, we needed to be somewhere, maybe not even an emergency, and you couldn’t find the offending yard maintenance people in your immediate area?
Old 08-12-2019, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,570 Times in 3,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I’m just wondering what most of us folks would do if our driveway was blocked like this, we needed to be somewhere, maybe not even an emergency, and you couldn’t find the offending yard maintenance people in your immediate area?
I'd call the landscaper company and tell them to find their folks and have them move the lawnmower. If I couldn't connect to them or there was no company name/number on the truck, I'd call the police.

But by "in my immediate area" I usually refer to "within earshot of a gas-powered landscaping tool." Landscape companies don't park their vehicles very far from where they're planning on doing the work. Chances are, I'll hear their trimmers, or see people walking around with spray-cannisters on their backs.

If it's an actual emergency, I'm not going to spend a second thinking about it. I'll drive on the front lawn and over the curb, and worry about community standards later if I leave skidmarks in my lawn.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:13 PM

Yes, it's illegal to block someone's driveway and the police should have been notified before taking the matter upon oneself! Moving someone's property w/o permission is also illegal and doing so can lead to an ugly outcome. We all pay fines for parking illegally! Let the law resolve situations as such!
Old 08-12-2019, 01:33 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,800 Times in 736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimagolfer View Post
Yes, it's illegal to block someone's driveway and the police should have been notified before taking the matter upon oneself! Moving someone's property w/o permission is also illegal and doing so can lead to an ugly outcome. We all pay fines for parking illegally! Let the law resolve situations as such!
If one has ever sought assistance from the police dept here for non emergency situations, one would know the lawn crew would be gone before the police arrived. The lawn crews, i am sure, are very aware of this.

Last edited by Aces4; 08-12-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I'd call the landscaper company and tell them to find their folks and have them move the lawnmower. If I couldn't connect to them or there was no company name/number on the truck, I'd call the police.

But by "in my immediate area" I usually refer to "within earshot of a gas-powered landscaping tool." Landscape companies don't park their vehicles very far from where they're planning on doing the work. Chances are, I'll hear their trimmers, or see people walking around with spray-cannisters on their backs.

If it's an actual emergency, I'm not going to spend a second thinking about it. I'll drive on the front lawn and over the curb, and worry about community standards later if I leave skidmarks in my lawn.
I think many of us don’t consider ruining our irrigation systems because of illegally parked lawn crews. But we’re being told that’s the solution.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
You're seeing only two possible situations, and completely discounting the situation that's actually happening.

Whether it is legal or not to block someone's driveway, it is *absolutely* illegal to move someone else's private property, that is not ON your private property, without that person's permission. You aren't allowed to move your neighbor's car if they're parked in front of your house. You're not allowed to move your neighbor's golf cart if they're parked in front of your house. You can't move someone's bicycle parked in front of your house. Or someone's lawnmower.

If these vehicles are ON your property, then the laws probably differ. But these vehicles are not on your property, and they don't belong to you.

You can't touch them, legally, without their permission. Whether they're supposed to be there or not.
Since it is a law one cannot block another’s driveway, how about a picture/video would be sufficient evidence to issue a $500. fine to the offenders. Then everything would be “legal” and no more illegal parking.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimagolfer View Post
You are right. And we do follow the law, if we can.... and OP (from my understanding) did call the police. And it didn’t help.

Maybe large vehicles should not be taken into areas where there is no place to park. And please don’t tell me they can’t do their job then. I’m in a city where there is almost no parking on the street ever. Yet the lawn is cut by companies who drop off the lawn mower and the guys drive away then pick them up. It does cost a fortune but if you want your lawn cut in the middle of the city then that’s how it is.

Last edited by Velvet; 08-12-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
I think many of us don’t consider ruining our irrigation systems because of illegally parked lawn crews...
On the nose.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,185 Times in 1,937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Note the word VEHICLE in the law. A lawnmower is not a vehicle.
Is a bicycle a vehicle? If the lawn mowers are riding mowers, aren't they considered vehicles?

This is Google's definition of "vehicle".....
"a thing used for transporting people or goods, especially on land, such as a car, truck, or cart."

So........ there you have it folks. I've just answered my own questions.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:20 PM
Sage

I don’t really want to shame this lawn company by asking who they were and where do they cut exactly, but I sure hope it isn’t my guys because I’d have a discussion with them.

Last edited by Velvet; 08-12-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Best solution we found is to park one’s vehicle on the street in front of your driveway.

By the time the cops get down their call list and swing by an hour later, they’re gone. It’s not high priority.
Why should anyone be "put out" by taking their car out of their garage where is it protected from traffic and the elements? That is just playing a dumb game with these bozos and the home owner comes out on the losing end. That is not a viable solution in my book....even if it is once a week.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,975 Times in 2,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Note the word VEHICLE in the law. A lawnmower is not a vehicle.
And shouldn’t be in the street cause it not license vehicle
Old 08-12-2019, 02:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
OK. Everyone agrees that they should not have parked there. But, the OP did not have the right to move the mower. It was on the street, not on his property. That is the question he is asking - "Was I wrong for moving the mower". Yes it is an inconvenience that many of us have gone through. But you just have to go looking for them to move it.

When someone does something wrong, that does not give you the right to do something wrong back. We all taught our children that.
We can go round and round with this. Yes, it is wrong and against the law to touch someone else's property such as the mowers. BUT, it is also wrong and against the law to block egress from one's property to a public street. ( someone up thread posted the law about blocking driveways to a public street)

If the offending party can not be located to be asked to move the items that are blocking the driveway, what are we to do if a person needs to leave in an emergency? It is a scary thought.

Tags
equipment, driveway, police, lawn, mowers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.