Is it true what the police told me about mowers blocking my driveway?

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2019, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I’m just wondering what most of us folks would do if our driveway was blocked like this, we needed to be somewhere, maybe not even an emergency, and you couldn’t find the offending yard maintenance people in your immediate area?
I know I would be spitting nails but that doesn't help the situation. Why should anyone be put in that situation. I honestly think these people who block driveways have nothing between their ears.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
I think many of us don’t consider ruining our irrigation systems because of illegally parked lawn crews. But we’re being told that’s the solution.
There's a chance you can damage your neighbor's irrigation system if you drive on the lawn and over the curb. Some of us live on cul-de-sacs and things are very close in our front yards.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I know I would be spitting nails but that doesn't help the situation. Why should anyone be put in that situation. I honestly think these people who block driveways have nothing between their ears.
Wait a minute. I just asked a question...what would people do if it it happened to them, which it very well could. I in no way condone it. I’m one of those that would likely risk a little backlash to handle it very quickly.

I totally agree with your assessment of those that block driveways. They deserve near-zero consideration imo.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,798 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
It's the solution if there's an emergency and someone is blocking your driveway. But go ahead and keep responding to things you cherry-pick and turn into issues with my posts that didn't exist, instead of responding to what I actually say.

Just in case you missed it the first time:
Just in case it wasn’t caught earlier in my posts, quite often these are not English speaking crews. My view is they are blocking my driveway and I nor anyone, in any manner need to chase them down when they know better. Many of the solutions offered do not take into consideration physical limitations or health issues. How nice these solutions are if you are able to perform them.

Last edited by Aces4; 08-12-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I’m just wondering what most of us folks would do if our driveway was blocked like this, we needed to be somewhere, maybe not even an emergency, and you couldn’t find the offending yard maintenance people in your immediate area?
Happened to me on Sat. I opened my garage door and there was a truck and trailer across my driveway. A crew was changing out the flowers on the District property on my corner. Like Nucky likes to say ..... it seemed like it was 5000 degrees out. I counted heads and took 5 bottles of GatorAde from the garage frig. out to them. Turns out there were 9 on the crew total so I got 4 bottles more out. You would think I gave them a million dollars. Oh..... I got out of my driveway 15 minutes later. When I met my wife for lunch and explained she said "no problem"!

I'm still trying to figure out this thread..... my group got shutout today..... you posters too?
Old 08-12-2019, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,022 Times in 1,748 Posts

Aw, that was sweet.

Just remembered we’re not supposed to address posters, so giving the workers cold beverages on one of the hottest days ever was a kind gesture.

Last edited by Velvet; 08-12-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Many, many posts on this thread say the same thing.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Just in case it wasn’t caught earlier in my posts, quite often these are not English speaking crews. My view is they are blocking my driveway and I nor anyone, in any manor need to chase them down when they know better. Many of the solutions offered do not take into consideration physical limitations or health issues. How nice these solutions are if you are able to perform them.
Doubtful...…..
Old 08-12-2019, 05:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

I have serious doubts this scenario played out as described, doorbell cam or not. If someone blocks your driveway, you ask them to move if you have to leave. Pretty simple and non confrontational.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:58 PM

Sorry but we have been here for ten years and we have often had lawn mowers and other vendors block our driveway and I have had to ask them to move. Let me explain: Our driveway is 3/4 of the way around the cul de sac on a dead end street. For some reason, lawn mower people and other vendors with drive 3/4 of the way around the cul de sac and stop blocking our driveway to make a cell phone call, do tree trimming and yard work at a neighbors house or mow the lawn. We had six months of neighbors on both sides of us having pools installed and every morning I had the same truck blocking the driveway. I had to call the company and speak to a supervisor. So this does happen!
Old 08-12-2019, 06:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I have serious doubts this scenario played out as described, doorbell cam or not. If someone blocks your driveway, you ask them to move if you have to leave. Pretty simple and non confrontational.
Until you ox is gored, you won’t see the problem. It will never be our problem again, good luck to those who are still dealing with it.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:44 PM
Platinum member

hot day, take out bottles of water and ask them to let you drive out of your driveway.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
hot day, take out bottles of water and ask them to let you drive out of your driveway.
If that works for one, do it every week that one will need to and enjoy. If one provides ones’ address, it will be easier for them to find their target. Oops, make that find one.

Last edited by Aces4; 08-12-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

And even if they don't speak English, so what? You can ask them to move it, in Spanish. Or French, or whatever other language you feel you need to ask them in. Here it is in Spanish, courtesy of google:

"Aleje su cortadora de césped de mi camino de entrada." Takes less than 30 seconds to look it up, and maybe half that long to figure out how to pronounce it.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:22 PM

My wife subsequently called the police station and spoke with the officer boss.
She was told that because the problem is so common in The Villages that the police do not have the resources to deal owner's driveways being blocked. Therefore, they do not issue tickets or citations for workmen blocking access to an owner's driveway or garage. I would suggest that the reason it is so common is that the offenders know that there is no adverse consequences or cost associated with them parking anywhere they want. I would suggest that if the offenders were cited or ticketed when they violate a law that they would be less inclined to continue to ignore the rules that they find inconvenient and that they rest of us live by the problem will only continue to get worst. I do not believe that you solve a problem by ignoring it. In fact I wonder if the reason that the problem is as common as the police claim is because the police are have chosen to avoid the problem rather than deal with it.
Closed Thread

Tags
equipment, driveway, police, lawn, mowers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.