Trying to sell

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Trying to sell

Thanks gsumom. I never heard of that! We did our own "staging" after reading some of the pamphlets the realtors give you about curb-appeal and de-cluttering. I'd imagine a stager could bring a lot of value to a place, especially if they could turn the ordinary into a "shows like a model" home.
Thanks agina for the info!
Old 04-16-2008, 04:07 PM

You are welcome Steve!

I think sometimes we have spent so much time in our own homes that we need a new pair of eyes to help us see things a little differently. Also, our home is decorated to our personal tastes and we have to remember that not everyone out there looking to buy a home has the same tastes that we do so I think the stager also helps to make the home more "generic" to appear to a larger group of buyers.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Veteran member

A teaching in our church is that God will help you after you do all you can do. God will not overcome our greed - not to suggest you are greedy - but an excessively high asking price is either due to being ill-informed about the market, or greed. Lowering the price to what the market will accept is an action that is guaranteed to get results. That is doing our part. God will do the rest.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 04-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsumom
You are welcome Steve!

I think sometimes we have spent so much time in our own homes that we need a new pair of eyes to help us see things a little differently. Also, our home is decorated to our personal tastes and we have to remember that not everyone out there looking to buy a home has the same tastes that we do so I think the stager also helps to make the home more "generic" to appear to a larger group of buyers.
One of the hardest things for people to do is distance themselves from their "stuff". I remember looking at the house I'm in 25 years ago and seeing a drop ceiling in the kitchen. The owner was commenting about the beautiful ceiling she'd installed, and at the same time I was pointing to the ceiling telling my wife how it had to go!

After looking at the place for 25 years, I know I've become "clutter-blind". A fresh pair of objective eyes neutralizing the place could only be a really good thing.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Platinum member

There are a number of shows on HGTV which address the need to "stage" your home to sell. I can't believe what some stagers would tell me to do (and I'd probably say, "Get out!" to many of them), but the shows inevitably stress how homes a-long-time-on-the-market suddenly bring in offers after staging has been done.

I ended up selling my up-north home "as is," where staging wasn't really a factor. I was convinced, though, that I would have been able to get one h--- of a lot more for my house had I 1) spent a bundle on repairs, upgrades, etc., and 2) arranged for a stager.

Since I was able to get more for the "as is" property than my brand-spanky new home here in TV cost me, and all in a short time-frame, I was happy to do what I did.

SWR
Old 04-16-2008, 07:35 PM

As long as it all works out in the end, that's all that matters!

I hate that the current housing market is forcing some people to have to put their dreams on hold for a while or maybe not be able to realize their dreams at all, if they are not making the money on their home sale they were once counting on. Hopefully when we get ready to sell (in about 10 years) everything will no longer be butt-backwards like it is now!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:10 PM

We just want enough to get a house in TV. Anything we get for our house will be a bonus since we bought it over 45 years ago as a house that had been repossessed by the Veterans' Association at a rock bottom price.

We love to travel, so we just expanded our house and spent money traveling rather than buying "up."

We need to remodel our kitchen, and then we'll put her up for sale and hope for the best. (fingers crossed). Can't wait to get to the Villages.
New Jersey
Old 04-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Gold member

Our youngest son has been trying to sell his business/commercial property since last year, so far with no success. The issue seems to be not so much that it is high priced (appropriately as a piece of valuable commercial property) but rather the nature of the business which not that many people would be interested in operating (a hostel where the only way its profitability is based on the owner also being a live-in manager). The beautifully placed/landscaped/lighted statue of Buddha in one of the front gardens does not seem to have helped, but it certainly adds to the ambiance of the place!
Old 04-17-2008, 05:53 PM

Good Afternoon,

Let's all hope that our wishes come true soon. We also just dropped the price of our home in Middleton, MA by $30,000. We've had three couples see our home since October. All expressed how much they liked it. One couple didn't want stairs, the other didn't like the type of trees in the yard and the third has returned three times. However, we have hope. We are beginning to see more "sale pending" or "under agreement" signage within the last few weeks. We are as anxious as everyone else to be in our home in Piedmont which we have rented out during the past two winters.

Is there anyone else out there from MA that is trying to sell or has recently moved to TV? Any advice on movers?

Old 04-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Eternal Member

Meanie, jmemc46 (the originator of this thread) is from MA
Old 04-17-2008, 08:34 PM

I sold my house myself in 9 days, without advertising it. Just a sign and fliers out front. We paid $300 for a professional appraisal first. While it was forty thousand lower than I thought, I checked all the comparables myself and could not disagree with it. I priced it $20K more than the appraisal and accepted $10K more.

Next step is a July house hunting trip to TV.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.