Turn signals in roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2021, 07:05 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts
Default Turn signals in roundabouts

I know the official recommendations on driving in traffic circles instruct that turn signals should be used. In a perfect world that may work but I see so much incorrect use of them that it makes me think that they are ineffective. I see drivers with the left turn blinker on while taking an exit and the right turn on while bypassing an exit. My thought is to make sure you are in the proper lane for your exit (and I do mean all the way in that lane instead of partially in the other lane) and keep moving. There are signs before each roundabout that instruct which lane to be in for the exit you are taking if you are unfamiliar with it. Obviously right lane for first or second exit and left lane for second and third exit. Also don’t enter a roundabout with another car in the left lane beside you. Point here is concentration on proper driving in the circles and less focus on turn signals. Personally I don’t trust another driver’s turn signal while in a roundabout anyway
Old 01-24-2021, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Here we go once again!
Old 01-24-2021, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Here we go once again!
Been at least two weeks since the last thread on this.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:18 AM
Thanked 1,119 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
I know the official recommendations on driving in traffic circles instruct that turn signals should be used. In a perfect world that may work but I see so much incorrect use of them that it makes me think that they are ineffective. I see drivers with the left turn blinker on while taking an exit and the right turn on while bypassing an exit. My thought is to make sure you are in the proper lane for your exit (and I do mean all the way in that lane instead of partially in the other lane) and keep moving. There are signs before each roundabout that instruct which lane to be in for the exit you are taking if you are unfamiliar with it. Obviously right lane for first or second exit and left lane for second and third exit. Also don’t enter a roundabout with another car in the left lane beside you. Point here is concentration on proper driving in the circles and less focus on turn signals. Personally I don’t trust another driver’s turn signal while in a roundabout anyway
I am old so I just leave one of my turn signals on all the time.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
I NEVER EVER trust a turn signal on any car when in the RAB. Most folks don't even know their signal is still signaling from before they even got into the RAB. Their hearing can not be trusted to know the signal is making the blinking noise.

I make sure I NEVER drive next to anyone in a RAB. I always hang back to not be next to another car. You just never know what someone is going to do and I've seen some near misses in the RABs.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Here we go once again!
This subject is actually a breath of fresh air over the masks and vaccine threads. Bring it on. Better than dog poop!
Old 01-24-2021, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

The Morse circle at Paige Place is a tough one. If you're coming from the circle and exiting onto Paige Place, you have to merge into one lane. Paige doesn't have two lanes entering into it. Not only are there two lanes IN the circle merging into one lane to get OUT of it - but there is also a golf cart path that crosses at the very end of Paige Place coming from Morse, through a narrow walled path to your right on the other side of traffic coming from Morse.

That one spot is very scary for car drivers, golf cart drivers, and anyone IN the circle trying to figure out who is going to do what next.

The person exiting could be coming from either of two lanes. But they'll be exiting onto just one lane and so the person who came from 3/4 the way around the circle, will be already on his way to that exit at the same time someone coming out from Morse and wanting to take the first exit, is entering.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Been at least two weeks since the last thread on this.
Oh stu thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:40 AM
Gold member

The Paige Place circle is the worst of many bad traffic circles in The Villages. Traveling from Morse to a left turn on 27/441, it's difficult to choose the correct lane. Either one can end up with a crash, since there are stupid drivers who insist on driving along side (or passing!) other drivers while in the circle.

I totally agree about turn signals. I use them at my exit of the circle, but if someone else uses them, I never believe them for a second. So I guess they are pretty worthless, except as a courtesy.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
The Paige Place circle is the worst of many bad traffic circles in The Villages. Traveling from Morse to a left turn on 27/441, it's difficult to choose the correct lane. Either one can end up with a crash, since there are stupid drivers who insist on driving along side (or passing!) other drivers while in the circle.

I totally agree about turn signals. I use them at my exit of the circle, but if someone else uses them, I never believe them for a second. So I guess they are pretty worthless, except as a courtesy.
As I see it, ALL turns out of traffic circles are RIGHT turns, not left turns. Your intention might be to go 3/4 around the circle, thus taking a "left" from where you entered it.

But when you actually approach that exit, you are now positioned such that the exit is now to your right - not your left.

To that end, I always use my RIGHT signal when I approach whichever exit I'm taking out of the circle.

And yeah coming from Paige, which is a single-lane entrance.. onto the 2-lane circle, to go 1/4 to the first exit (which is on your right), and then get into the LEFT lane to turn onto 441... can be harrowing when there's a lot of traffic. Combine that with the golf carts that are coming from the same direction as you, since they CROSS the circle exit - there's no golf cart tunnel there. What's worse is when some golf cart drivers think it's a great idea to go counter-clockwise on that one-way golf cart path. So a car driver has to look at everything all at once, just in case he misses that one, momentary act of stupidity.

Suffice it to say, there are fender-benders at that circle on a fairly regular basis.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
This subject is actually a breath of fresh air over the masks and vaccine threads. Bring it on. Better than dog poop!
That's hilarious coming from the person who has probably started more threads about masks and the vaccine than anyone else.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-24-2021, 01:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
You jest of course?
Old 01-24-2021, 01:46 PM

I would be happy if people would stop changing lanes in a round about...ever, and especially if they would stop changing lanes right before they leave the roundabout. Apparently they do this so they can enter the resident side of the gate...but they should WAIT until they leave the round about to change lanes. This happens frequently, every day. I am very cautious as I know people won't even follow this simple rule
Old 01-24-2021, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

The only way to solve this conundrum of the circle is to either make it ONE lane only, or just take drivers permits away from anyone that does not know the difference between their left hand and their right hand. Better yet, just ban driving by anyone over 50.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:03 PM
Gold member

How about another ROB issue.
Many making a legal right turn from the inside lane out of the ROB that can’t stay in their lane and encroach on me also going right in the inside lane. Happens daily.
Closed Thread

Tags
lane, turn, exit, left, signals

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.