Turn signals in roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2021, 06:06 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
That's hilarious coming from the person who has probably started more threads about masks and the vaccine than anyone else.

Old 01-24-2021, 07:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
How about another ROB issue.
Many making a legal right turn from the inside lane out of the ROB that can’t stay in their lane and encroach on me also going right in the inside lane. Happens daily.
At least one of you is violating the most important rules of roundabout driving or there would be no issue...yield to both lanes before entering and never drive next to another vehicle.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
At least one of you is violating the most important rules of roundabout driving or there would be no issue...yield to both lanes before entering and never drive next to another vehicle.
very good advise
Old 01-24-2021, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
That's hilarious coming from the person who has probably started more threads about masks and the vaccine than anyone else.
I see you noticed! LOL.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
You jest of course?
No jesting. I really, really mean it!
Old 01-24-2021, 07:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
I know the official recommendations on driving in traffic circles instruct that turn signals should be used. In a perfect world that may work but I see so much incorrect use of them that it makes me think that they are ineffective. I see drivers with the left turn blinker on while taking an exit and the right turn on while bypassing an exit. My thought is to make sure you are in the proper lane for your exit (and I do mean all the way in that lane instead of partially in the other lane) and keep moving. There are signs before each roundabout that instruct which lane to be in for the exit you are taking if you are unfamiliar with it. Obviously right lane for first or second exit and left lane for second and third exit. Also don’t enter a roundabout with another car in the left lane beside you. Point here is concentration on proper driving in the circles and less focus on turn signals. Personally I don’t trust another driver’s turn signal while in a roundabout anyway
Ok if I coming around the roundabout in the inside (left lane going to 3rd exit I have my left blinker light on approaching the second exit. This lets the in bound traffic know I’m coming around had have the right of way. Once I get pass the second exit I turn my right blinker light on letting the traffic in the third exit know that I am turning.

There should be no traffic beside me if the second exit traffic yielded like law requires. Bottom line any traffic in roundabout has right way, don’t pull out until they pass and it’s clear of all traffic coming towards you. Blinker or not blinker. It’s tells the traffic entering where on coming traffic going, thus reduces traffic coming to stop when they only have to yield.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I am old so I just leave one of my turn signals on all the time.
And I bet you stop at roundabout when no traffic coming also?
Old 01-24-2021, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
I know the official recommendations on driving in traffic circles instruct that turn signals should be used.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Old 01-24-2021, 09:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
And I bet you stop at roundabout when no traffic coming also?
And what about stopping at train tracks to watch for the 4 14 to Orlando?
Old 01-24-2021, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_vermilya View Post
I would be happy if people would stop changing lanes in a round about...ever, and especially if they would stop changing lanes right before they leave the roundabout. Apparently they do this so they can enter the resident side of the gate...but they should WAIT until they leave the round about to change lanes. This happens frequently, every day. I am very cautious as I know people won't even follow this simple rule
At certain roundabouts they HAVE to change lanes, in order to exit. If you are entering a 2-lane roundabout, and intend to get off at the 3rd exit (3/4 of the way around, also known as "left") - you MUST enter from the left lane. And if that exit only has ONE lane - you MUST exit to your right. There is no other way to exit a 2-lane roundabout to a one-lane exit.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Ok if I coming around the roundabout in the inside (left lane going to 3rd exit I have my left blinker light on approaching the second exit. This lets the in bound traffic know I’m coming around had have the right of way. Once I get pass the second exit I turn my right blinker light on letting the traffic in the third exit know that I am turning.

There should be no traffic beside me if the second exit traffic yielded like law requires. Bottom line any traffic in roundabout has right way, don’t pull out until they pass and it’s clear of all traffic coming towards you. Blinker or not blinker. It’s tells the traffic entering where on coming traffic going, thus reduces traffic coming to stop when they only have to yield.
My whole point is that there is so much misuse of turn signals in roundabouts that no one trusts them
Old 01-25-2021, 06:04 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_vermilya View Post
I would be happy if people would stop changing lanes in a round about...ever, and especially if they would stop changing lanes right before they leave the roundabout. Apparently they do this so they can enter the resident side of the gate...but they should WAIT until they leave the round about to change lanes. This happens frequently, every day. I am very cautious as I know people won't even follow this simple rule
I have no problem with crossing lanes /lines in the roundabout only in the case of taking the third exit. You have to be in the left /inside lane to take the third exit. Cars in the right / outside lane can only take the first or second exit and no one should enter the roundabout next to a car so there is no reason not to be able to cross that dotted line to get to the resident gate. I agree that drivers taking the second exit should not change lanes because they don’t want to have to turn the steering wheel as much or slow down enough
Old 01-25-2021, 06:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
The Paige Place circle is the worst of many bad traffic circles in The Villages. Traveling from Morse to a left turn on 27/441, it's difficult to choose the correct lane. Either one can end up with a crash, since there are stupid drivers who insist on driving along side (or passing!) other drivers while in the circle.

I totally agree about turn signals. I use them at my exit of the circle, but if someone else uses them, I never believe them for a second. So I guess they are pretty worthless, except as a courtesy.
Driving alongside other vehicles in a traffic circle or passing them in a traffic circle is entirely legal and appropriate so long as you stay in your marked lane. If, say, I am driving south on Morse and not turning off, I use the middle lane and stay in that lane throughout. I’m free to pass someone turning right onto the first road. I am NOT free to turn right onto the first road from the middle lane. I AM free to turn right onto the second road from the left land or to keep going around the circle. That’s the way the lanes are marked. If you are in the right lane and continuing south on Morse, the second turn, then there is no conflict. However, if you are in the right lane and continuing on to the third exit or returning north on Morse, then I have the right of way for that second turn south on Morse. If you run into me because you want to take the third turn, but you were asleep at the wheel and entered the roundabout in the wrong lane, then you will be at fault. You need to watch to make sure I’m not turning. Turn signals won’t necessarily help because we are side by side. So the signals are hard to see.

That said, I’m cautious in situations like that because some people are terrible drivers. I tend to accelerate so people will see I am taking the second right or hold back a little to make sure they aren’t going to try to go on to the third right from the right lane.

I think the traffic circles in The Villages are marvels of good design and clarity. So long as people read the signs in advance and follow the rules, they are easiest circles I’ve ever used, and they save a lot of time. If they are driving on autopilot or on drugs or two-fers, watch out!
Old 01-25-2021, 06:28 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
How about just following the traffic laws concerning roundabouts?

1. Always yield to traffic in right lane of a 2 lane roundabout - never use turn signals when entering a roundabout.
2. Once in the roundabout, put on right turn signals before exiting
3. If going 3/4 of the way around in a 2 lane roundabout, merge left then merge back right and use signals to exit.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:29 AM

Use signals properly, use lanes properly, do it all. And who on earth would trust a turn signal in any situation? They can mean nothing. They are for letting cars behind you know you why you are slowing. In roundabouts, they are for saying to those entering that you are continuing and so they definitely should not enter. - They should not enter in any case until you are past, but this gives them an extra reason not to do so. - Of course if your signal indicates you are exiting rather than continuing, those seeking to enter should not trust that. But it does let anyone behind you know your reason for slowing - its to exit. They may be less likely to ram you from behind if they expect slowing

So...signals always serve good safety purposes but never should be taken as "I'm definitely going to do this."
Closed Thread

Tags
lane, turn, exit, left, signals

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.