Turning across traffic from the cart lane.

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Founder
Default Turning across traffic from the cart lane.

It wasn't the the first time, but it was the most recent. I was driving my car West on Calumet today. There was a golf cart traveling West in the cart lane. As I prepared to pass him, (I was driving about 23 miles per hour) he stuck his left arm straight out and turned across in front of me into the Calumet postal station. (He did not blend into traffic as he is suppose to)

It was close enough that I had to blast my horn as I stopped to avoid running over top of him. Well, of course, all his arm waving and mouthing of words in my direction indicated that he was sure I was in the wrong.

Yes folks, I put the window down and called him an "idiot." He could have been a dead idiot if I had not been aware that he was very capable of doing exactly what he did.

Sir, if you are reading this, please learn the driving rules. And BTW YAAI.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Turning across traffic from the cart lane.

I agree with you. I have one guy I ride with who always waits until the last second to turn left down a street. I tell him he is supposed to signal, move into the car lane and then turn. He keeps telling me that the cars have the right of way. Five years and I cannot convince him to do it correctly.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:11 AM
Gold member

As a golf cart driver, I do understand the need to signal left, move slowly into the car lane (of course when there isn't a car right there...), and then turn left. But cars DO have the right-of-way over golf carts, don't they? At least that's my understanding....

And what does 'YAAI' stand for?
Old 04-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Sage

I think it means "You are an idiot."
Old 04-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Veteran member

Don't you know by now that golf carts have the right of way here contrary to the fact of what a solid white line means or the fact that turning left still means the same as any where in the US. I ride a motorcycle and stunts like that will get you killed.I think it should be mandatory for a regional golf cart test and licencing be imposed here and register the carts after all they do run on the roads. It would be for everyone safety. I understand 5 people have been killed here,that in its self should indicate some thing.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:52 PM

I too had a very "near miss" today. > I was coming across from Morse Blvd on Stillwater and had just gotten the gate up and started in when... you guessed it, a cart with a large blond woman crossed right in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes. When I yelled out the window at her "Jeezus Lady" her reply was "yeah,yeah,yeah". Well next time I may not see her and there will be one more fatality here in TV :'( My 4000 pound truck will trump your little 800 pound cart anyday of the week. Believe me when I say this...I am still so steamed at her callus regard for her safety and mine that if I saw her this very minute she would be having her ears burning before I got through with her. Not to mention causing me to have an operation to get my size 10 1/2 shoe cut out of her butt :edit: When are the powers that be going to require golf cart testing and skill levels :dontknow: How many dead do we have to have ??? And finally... Hey! BIG FAT BLONDE YAAI
Old 04-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Founder

I'm afraid that many people who live here retire not only from their job, but also from their social responsibility.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

I'm very careful now about name calling or gestures.

Years ago a truck cut me off and I promptly flipped the bird to the driver while yelling "You SOB" and "You MF". Not once did I flip the bird or yell, not twice...but a multitude of times. I was furious and very, very young!

Well, I followed that truck for miles. In fact, I followed it right into the parking lot of where I worked. Turned out he worked at the same place I did.

Now, I won't say he didn't deserve some kind of reaction...however, I was embarrassed at how I dealt with the situation.

Whenever another driver gets me going....I have a mental flashback...

I chalk it up...and thank God I'm still alive to remember the incident.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Founder

A friend of mine was cut off by a kid in a car a couple of years ago. Then the kid flipped my friend the bird and shouted a few choice words at him. The kid then punched it and flew down the street. My friend took chase and finally caught up to him at a red light. My friend arrested him because my friend was the Sheriff of Broome County, New York and he was in his unmarked black Ford Expedition.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

And...what's the point, Talk Host?

Did you ever do anything as a young man you wished you'd never have done?

That was my point.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspot01
And...what's the point, Talk Host?

Did you ever do anything as a young man you wished you'd never have done?

That was my point.
I'm not sure I was trying to make a point. I was just exercising my right to continue the discussion with a story that I thought was humorous. you exercised your right to continue the discussion by telling a story on yourself that you thought had a point.

BTW, the people here in the villages are not "young men". They still do things they wish they hadn't done.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

that age plays no part with doing things we sometimes regret.
;D ;D ;D
Old 04-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Gold member

I guess you could say the moral of Brightspots story is........Be careful to whom you flip the bird. 1rnfl 1rnfl
Old 04-20-2008, 09:42 AM

While Hubby and I were purchasing our new home in TV, friends of ours loaned us one of their golf carts to get the "feel". We drove it one time and took our car the rest of the time. I have to tell you that I was very uncomfortable not knowing where the "trails" were even with a map in hand. He was driving and I was looking at map and still we didn't see some points of entry and "non entry" for golf carts until too late where we had to back up or simply take a uturn quickly. Thank God for patient TVers who knew beyond a doubt we had "no clue". They simply smiled and waited patiently until we corrected ourselves. All this to say that when I move in next week I will always try to remember that when someone does something "dumb" on golf carts they are probably new to the area. I will always try to remember to drive like a golf cart will come out of nowhere and I will have to stop. There was only one time where a lady in her big SUV almost ran us over, got right behind us and blew her horn. We simply pulled to the right (we were in our car) and let her go on by. She probably had an important T time and was late. That's my 2cents worth.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungirl
All this to say that when I move in next week I will always try to remember that when someone does something "dumb" on golf carts they are probably new to the area.
You are very kind to think that. Like in every city, there are those who do dumb things after living here for a long time.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.