tv?

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Location: formerly Logan, and Charleston, WV Currently The Village of Pennecamp
Default tv?

any advice on comcast vs satellite? just bought a home and want a lot of sport channels. Thanks
Old 07-24-2009, 04:25 AM
Veteran member

This is a question in which you will get alot of different responses. If your looking for the sports deal, I would recommend DirecTv. Cant beat the sports Line up. That is MHO. Go to the different site and check them out. Also check into the HD packages if you veiwing High Def.
But for Sports DirecTV gets more bang in programming. I have had Comcast and Dish in prior to DirecTV. Again MHO only... Nothing like the sports Mix Channel for the Big events and all.

Money out
Old 07-24-2009, 06:54 PM
nkrifats

I just put comcast in last month. This is to hold us until we are there full time.
There is no doubt in my mind that I will be going to Direct TV for the sports.
Comcast was hurting for sports the week I was there on the last visit.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Location: formerly Logan, and Charleston, WV Currently The Village of Pennecamp

Thanks both of you. We are closing in October and are huge college fb fans especially Big East FB as we are coming from WV. We want to be able to get as many games as we can. Again thanks for all your input and we can't wait to get back down.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Veteran member
Smile Dish tv

We got the Embarq package. They have a lot of sports packages, the one we got was the FL college pack. They also have the NFL network with the silver pack. The dish did lose signal in the last torential downpour, but only for about 5 min. I don't know if we can get all the NFL football we want but if we dont we head to the club down the street. Get the snow plow out we have to go to the club. Oh wait, we are in TV, no snow!
Old 07-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Veteran member

I am not a true (but partial) sports fanatic, but I like watching HDTV in general. I have had both Comcast and Direct TV. Direct TV has the most HD channels, including sports and such channels as NatGeo. Comcast is significantly less expensive if you buy their 3-way package including telephone, high speed internet access and basic television packages. Comcast also has TV channel which DirectTV does not.

My general advice is that if you enjoy HDTV and now find regularly TV not acceptable - go DirectTV. That is where I am. I also want to follow closely the Orlando Magic, the Tampa Bay Bucs, UF and FSU. OK, I may be a sports fanatic.
If, on he other hand, HDTV is not important to you, then go with Comcast. You will get TV channel as as bonus. For several reasons, I will not go into now, please avoid Dish Network in all its various guises.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQMan View Post
For several reasons, I will not go into now, please avoid DISH Network in all its various guises.
Obviously, I don't know why you said this. I'll just say that we have had DISH Network for almost two years and like the service. We got it at the same time that we bought our first HD television - love the HD! Now, I don't know if location makes a difference - we're in Illinois, not TV.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,390 Posts
Default We have had Dish netork at our lake home in TN for over 10 years.

No complaints. Always treated fairly. Equipment and programming much better than Comcast which we have here in TV (soon to be dumped). I have no experience and cannot comment on DirectTV.

If you really want to be helpful to your fellow residents you should at least say why you recommend against. Without that your recommendation is not very useful.

btk
Old 07-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Gold member

We have had quite an ongoing saga with DirecTV with poor customer service, misleading sales pitches about what we would be able to get with our service, etc. However, if you are willing to pay the money, they do have a pretty good selection of sports programming. For baseball I bit the bullet and purchased MLB Extra Innings. It provides about 85% of the games that I would want to see.

I just looked into their NFL Sunday ticket. Their basic package (no high def) is available until 7/31 for $280, but to add high def, it is another $100. At close to $400 that is a lot if your only interest is to follow your favorite team from back home - especially since at least some of those games are likely to be available on national TV for free.

Be forewarned that if your interest is in regional sports from another region of the country, you probably are not going to get the regional sports package for that region. That was the one thing that they misled me on. I was made to think that I would be able to subscribe to the regional sports package and gain access to all of the various regions. This isn't the case - you are only able to get the region that includes the Florida market.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Platinum member
Default DISH has 2 satellite dishes

We had DISH in KY and selected it again here. Was shocked that they installed 2 dish antennas. I questioned the installer who said 1 unit looks at HD and the other at conventional. I informed him that we only had 1 unit up north. He said the satellite locations are different here. Hmmm!?!?! Great reception and both are hidden in backyard not more than 3 ft tall. No complaints.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.