TV

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2017, 09:16 PM
Sage

Aren’t we going back in time. Pre 1975 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2017, 09:18 PM
Veteran member

no problem for nbc in my attic ant.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:53 AM
Send a message via ICQ to SoccerCoach

I have an antenna in the attic by The Villages Audio Visual. Receive about 60 channels. Some Spanish and Religious. Couple with a NETFLIX or HULU and your yearly cost will be less than a MONTH of cable or direct tv. Call Villages AV. You'll get the truth, no pressure.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:51 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,808 Times in 3,664 Posts

Would love to have that on the front of my golf cart............nasty looking coming down the path.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajulian View Post
dewilson 58's list of channels is perfect.

I converted last year and get all of his list perfectly clear. I tried several antennas and gave up on the store bought antennas. I found an engineering company in Kentucky and you can google Free Signal TV to see their antenna and info. Also you can search on YouTube to watch an install. The antenna was about twice as much as Best Buy antennas. It cost $170, but is far superior to the store bought ones. I mounted mine inside of my attic and pointed it ESE 120 degrees towards Orlando. It is excellent. I like it so much, I converted my home in NY. I only pay for internet here in Florida.

I use the TV input source for over the air digital channels (all major ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX networks) and I use Roku navigation to watch Playstation Vue for all the normal cable channels that I used to watch (like Cable News channels, ESPN, other popular cable shows). I also went to Best Buy and bought universal remotes for each TV that had buttons just for TV channel navigation, and color coded buttons just for Roku navigation for watching the cable shows streamed over the Internet to your TV.

I now pay $50 for Internet and $35 for Streaming PlayStation Vue cable shows over the Internet to the TV.

It took my wife about 1 week to get used to switching between TV channels and over to Roku and PlayStation Vue for all other cable programs. We are very happy.

Best of all, I never have to talk to a cable company again. If I don't want to stream PlayStation Vue content anymore, I just go to my online account and turn it off. No contracts and no waiting on the phone for an hour with anyone. Like an anchor off my back.
---------------------------------------
I have my eye on the Free Signal TV Marathon model. I have DISH and it appears you can install it right where the DISH used to be using the same cables ... it also says it will service I believe 4 tvs in your house and for another 50.00 they sell the DVR that will work with the Marathon. I have an andriod box for all other items from my internet stream. DISH is a good product but we were paying quite a bit of money and sometimes still could not find things we wanted to watch.

I have watched all the YouTubes, read the reviews, there were two models I looked at, the Marathon and the Max4 from DirectAntenns.com. They are both about the same price but the Marathon comes with the multiple tv option and just looks a lot better if you are going to put it outside.

If anyone has pulled the trigger on these models I would appreciate your input and result.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Audio Video View Post
Antennas are great if you want to save a few bucks but they aren't for everybody. If you're interested in anything besides the local feeds, the skinny bundles are a better option. Many are offering the local Orlando feeds today and many more will be adding those channels in the coming months. Check out DirectTV Now, Sling TV, Playstation Vue, Hulu Live, You Tube TV and many more coming soon.

But remember, nothing beats the experience, convenience and content selection of a cable or satellite subscription. Like anything else, you get what you pay for...
Tom, have you seen this product?
Mohu AirWave
It looks like it might make integration of antenna and streaming services a lot easier? Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Aren’t we going back in time. Pre 1975 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---------------------------------

yes, with 1975 prices and with incredible HD reception now.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I have no experience with it, but that little antenna that you stick on the window probably won't be of much use here in The Villages
Agreed. Ty

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2017, 07:46 PM

Youtube TV recently became available in The Villages. For $35 a month, you get all the local network stations, all the espn's - including SEC and Big10, both Fox Sports channels, Fox News, and the Disney suite of channels. I've had it for a couple of weeks now and it's rock solid in delivery. Of course it requires an Internet connection. At this point, you have to use a ChromeCast on your TV and cast from an android or IOS device but a Roku version is expected by years end. If you want to greatly reduce your cable TV bills but still want sports and networks - it's a very good alternative.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:52 PM

When you add the cost of the internet connection and include the taxes and fees, what is the total? How much less than $140 per month is it? That is what your really trying to beat. Almost half of that is the internet access. The question I have is this worth it for $10-15 a month? The discussion on antanna’s is interesting, but are you really going to be satisfied with only those channels? Is there another combination that leads to a better cost picture?
Old 10-16-2017, 03:13 AM

Same experience. We purchased a highly rated antenna out of Canada, got a lot of channels that I'd never watch! To me, it was a waste of time and a lot of frustration. It was always cutting out either due to Comcast internet (from what other people told me) or weather or trees. I have DirecTV now, not happy with the cost but happy with the product.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Antennas are great if you want to save a few bucks but they aren't for everybody. If you're interested in anything besides the local feeds, the skinny bundles are a better option. Many are offering the local Orlando feeds today and many more will be adding those channels in the coming months. Check out DirectTV Now, Sling TV, Playstation Vue, Hulu Live, You Tube TV and many more coming soon.

But remember, nothing beats the experience, convenience and content selection of a cable or satellite subscription. Like anything else, you get what you pay for...
I couldn't agree more.

While I have a lot of empathy for those that need to pinch every penny to be able to afford to live here...I count myself fortunate that I'm not in that situation.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
That's an easy one for me. The answer is no. I pay Xfinity $205 per month for our loaded TV package with 4 boxes and 180 Mbps internet. I dont like paying it but it's the best stuff available. The skinny bundle streaming services are alot like Netflix. Select the app, loading, loading, loading, go to the guide, loading loading, loading, select a channel, loading loading loading. Too much waiting, loading, app launching for me. I could probably get the same content and save $40-$50 a month but the inconvenience is not worth it for us.

Try is out for yourself, they all have free trial offers.
Tom,
Are there any plans for Xfinity to offer The Big Ten Network any time soon, that you are aware of? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

They offer BTN now.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX1 View Post
They offer BTN now.
I've checked their channel list for all packages and maybe I missed BTN. I'll check again, thanks!
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, kind, purchase, reception, channels

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.