Is TV the best place to retire with little to no savings?

Old 02-23-2024, 07:19 AM
Thanked 1,137 Times in 248 Posts
Default Is TV the best place to retire with little to no savings?

I found this article on the GOBankingRates website:

GoBankingRates created a list of the best and worst destinations for retirement when you have no savings. They analyzed the 100 largest cities in the U.S. with a large population of adults ages 65 and older. These cities were then ranked based on the following factors:

• Average 2023 home value and property tax, sourced from Zillow
  • Whether the state taxes Social Security benefits, sourced from the AARP
  • Annual homemaker services costs
  • Annual home health aide costs
  • Annual grocery costs
  • Annual healthcare costs
  • Annual utilities cost
  • Annual transportation costs
  • Annual necessity costs

After compiling all the data, the team named Foley, Alabama, the best place to retire for those with little to no savings. Joining Foley on the top 10 list is Mountain Home, Arkansas, in the second-place spot, followed by Hot Springs Village, Arkansas, in third, The Villages, Florida, in fourth, and Bella Vista, Arkansas, at No. 5. Rounding out the top 10 is Pinehurst, North Carolina; Green Valley, Arizona; North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; Fredericksburg, Texas; and Punta Gorda, Florida.

Best Places To Retire If You Have No Savings | GOBankingRates
Old 02-23-2024, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,979 Times in 4,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I found this article on the GOBankingRates website:

GoBankingRates created a list of the best and worst destinations for retirement when you have no savings. They analyzed the 100 largest cities in the U.S. with a large population of adults ages 65 and older. These cities were then ranked based on the following factors:

• Average 2023 home value and property tax, sourced from Zillow
  • Whether the state taxes Social Security benefits, sourced from the AARP
  • Annual homemaker services costs
  • Annual home health aide costs
  • Annual grocery costs
  • Annual healthcare costs
  • Annual utilities cost
  • Annual transportation costs
  • Annual necessity costs

After compiling all the data, the team named Foley, Alabama, the best place to retire for those with little to no savings. Joining Foley on the top 10 list is Mountain Home, Arkansas, in the second-place spot, followed by Hot Springs Village, Arkansas, in third, The Villages, Florida, in fourth, and Bella Vista, Arkansas, at No. 5. Rounding out the top 10 is Pinehurst, North Carolina; Green Valley, Arizona; North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; Fredericksburg, Texas; and Punta Gorda, Florida.

Best Places To Retire If You Have No Savings | GOBankingRates
I would suggest that anyone with no savings is probably not in a position to retire, and there is no "best place" available. (Unless you are the retired former county exec of orange Co., Ca who receives a pension of $387,000/year.)
Old 02-23-2024, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I would suggest that anyone with no savings is probably not in a position to retire, and there is no "best place" available. (Unless you are the retired former county exec of orange Co., Ca who receives a pension of $387,000/year.)
Is that the one under whose watch OC declared B.K.? Him and the whistleblower (Morlock) are both a$$hats.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:23 AM

Most of these top 10 lists are generated with AI.
You can do the same for yourself:
Groq
"write an article about the top 10 places to retire with little or no savings in the united states"
"write an article about the top 10 dogs that are great for retirees"
"write an article about the top 10 restaurants near the villages, florida"

you just bypass all the ads.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,333 Times in 603 Posts

Is TV the best place to retire with little to no savings?

The best place with little or no savings? No. But it depends on your social security or pension.

Check this out. However, I am not sure how reliable they are. It says that to live comfortably, it recommends $77,400 for a family and $46,800 for a single person. If you don't have a mortgage, that seems high.

The Villages, FL Cost of Living

This is a cost of living calculator that compares the cost of living in the Villages to other places in the country.

2024 Cost of Living Calculator - Compare Cost of Living by City & State
Old 02-23-2024, 10:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,087 Times in 747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopat View Post
"write an article about the top 10 restaurants near the villages, florida"

Not always what it's cracked up to be.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Restaurants.jpg
Views:	2678
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	102997  
Old 02-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Not always what it's cracked up to be.
& if you follow bopat's instruction you get better results as in:

Sure, here are ten of the best restaurants near The Villages, FL:
1.The Chop House - Located in the heart of The Villages, this restaurant offers a variety of delicious dishes, including steak, seafood, and pasta.
2.The Ocala Prime Steakhouse - Located in nearby Ocala, this steakhouse serves up top-quality steaks, seafood, and other American classics.
3.Harry's Seafood Bar & Grille - Located in nearby Leesburg, this seafood restaurant offers a variety of fresh seafood dishes, including fish tacos, shrimp and grits, and crab cakes.
4.The Corkscrew - Located in nearby Clermont, this wine bar and bistro offers a variety of small plates, flatbreads, and entrees, as well as a wide selection of wines.
5.The Tuscany Italian Bistro - Located in The Villages, this Italian restaurant offers a variety of traditional Italian dishes, including pasta, seafood, and meat dishes.
6.The Amelia's Bistro - Located in nearby Wildwood, this bistro offers a variety of American classics, including burgers, sandwiches, and salads.
7.The Bluefin Grill - Located in The Villages, this seafood restaurant offers a variety of fresh seafood dishes, including sushi, seafood salads, and seafood pasta dishes.
8.The Elan Spanish Restaurant - Located in nearby Clermont, this Spanish restaurant offers a variety of traditional Spanish dishes, including paella, tapas, and empanadas.
9.The Frog and The Fiddle - Located in nearby Summerfield, this British-style pub offers a variety of traditional British dishes, including fish and chips, shepherd's pie, and bangers and mash.1
0.The LaHacienda Mexican Restaurant - Located in nearby Lady Lake, this Mexican restaurant offers a variety of traditional Mexican dishes, including tacos, burritos, and enchiladas.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:27 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,107 Times in 303 Posts

"Little to no savings" means you're living off your Social Security. The only place I know of where you can do that is wherever you have a home with no mortgage and no car payment. But people who reach retirement age with no savings rarely do that debt-free.

I would not expect to move anywhere to retire if I hadn't saved for 40 years to do it. In fact, I would not expect to ever retire if I hadn't saved for it.

Someday, I may be forced to live off my Social Security in The Villages, if the gooberment cranks up inflation again and steals all my savings. I just hope I'm too feeble to care about where I'm living when that happens. My big fear is that, when Social Security goes belly-up in 10 years, they'll steal that, too. I sure wouldn't want a mortgage in Florida, living off nothing but a government check, on that day that happens.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,087 Times in 747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
& if you follow bopat's instruction you get better results as in:

Sure, here are ten of the best restaurants near The Villages, FL:
1.The Chop House - Located in the heart of The Villages, this restaurant offers a variety of delicious dishes, including steak, seafood, and pasta.

Anyone or anything that lists Chop House as #1, is of no value to anyone.

No other questions.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:38 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,396 Times in 1,459 Posts

One thing for sure is you won't shop at Publix.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,692 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
you took the words right out of my mouth.

What's the place place to go skydiving without a parachute?
Old 02-23-2024, 05:54 PM
Default Not our Favorite

Quote:

No other questions.
Nasty restaurant choice. Love La Cuisine in Ocala, it gets our number 1

Fairfax VA
Stamford CT
Rye NH
Provincetown MA
Old 02-23-2024, 06:41 PM

Quote:

No other questions.
Ok, let's try it that way:

Groq

What are the top 10 restaurants near the villages, florida. Please exclude Chop House.

Sure, I can help you with that! Here are the top 10 restaurants near The Villages, Florida, excluding Chop House:

1. The Villages Polo Club - Located in the heart of The Villages, this restaurant offers a variety of delicious dishes, including steak, seafood, and pasta.

2. The Lake Sumter Landing Restaurant - Located on the shores of Lake Sumter, this restaurant offers a variety of seafood dishes, as well as steak and pasta.

3. The Waterfront Restaurant - Located in the Village of Lake Sumter, this restaurant offers a variety of seafood dishes, as well as a great view of Lake Sumter.

4. The Ocala Prime Steakhouse - Located in the heart of Ocala, this steakhouse offers a variety of delicious steaks, as well as seafood and pasta dishes.

5. The Italian Gardens - Located in the heart of The Villages, this family-owned restaurant offers a variety of delicious Italian dishes, including pasta, seafood, and steak.

6. The Bistro on the Greens - Located in the heart of The Villages, this restaurant offers a variety of delicious dishes, including steak, seafood, and pasta.

7. The Corkscrew Bar & Grille - Located in the heart of The Villages, this restaurant offers a variety of delicious dishes, including steak, seafood, and pasta, as well as a great selection of wines.

8. The Bogart's Bar & Grille - Located in the heart of The Villages, this restaurant offers a variety of delicious dishes, including steak, seafood, and pasta, as well as a great selection of cocktails.

9. The El Santiago Mexican Grill - Located in the heart of The Villages, this restaurant offers a variety of delicious Mexican dishes, including tacos, burritos, and enchiladas.

10. The Sushi Maki - Located in the heart of The Villages, this restaurant offers a variety of delicious sushi rolls, as well as other Japanese dishes.

Old 02-23-2024, 08:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopat View Post
Ok, let's try it that way:

Groq

What are the top 10 restaurants near the villages, florida. Please exclude Chop House.

Sure, I can help you with that! Here are the top 10 restaurants near The Villages, Florida, excluding Chop House:

1. The Villages Polo Club - Located in the heart of The Villages, this restaurant offers a variety of delicious dishes, including steak, seafood, and pasta.

2. The Lake Sumter Landing Restaurant - Located on the shores of Lake Sumter, this restaurant offers a variety of seafood dishes, as well as steak and pasta.

3. The Waterfront Restaurant - Located in the Village of Lake Sumter, this restaurant offers a variety of seafood dishes, as well as a great view of Lake Sumter.

4. The Ocala Prime Steakhouse - Located in the heart of Ocala, this steakhouse offers a variety of delicious steaks, as well as seafood and pasta dishes.

5. The Italian Gardens - Located in the heart of The Villages, this family-owned restaurant offers a variety of delicious Italian dishes, including pasta, seafood, and steak.

6. The Bistro on the Greens - Located in the heart of The Villages, this restaurant offers a variety of delicious dishes, including steak, seafood, and pasta.

7. The Corkscrew Bar & Grille - Located in the heart of The Villages, this restaurant offers a variety of delicious dishes, including steak, seafood, and pasta, as well as a great selection of wines.

8. The Bogart's Bar & Grille - Located in the heart of The Villages, this restaurant offers a variety of delicious dishes, including steak, seafood, and pasta, as well as a great selection of cocktails.

9. The El Santiago Mexican Grill - Located in the heart of The Villages, this restaurant offers a variety of delicious Mexican dishes, including tacos, burritos, and enchiladas.

10. The Sushi Maki - Located in the heart of The Villages, this restaurant offers a variety of delicious sushi rolls, as well as other Japanese dishes.

I'm pretty sure that 5 of those don't actually exist. Be careful with AI, it actually makes up things sometimes. I use at at work with mixed results.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Unless you're going to live in the trailer park section of TV, it's certainly not a good place to retired for people with little savings. The rent in TV is much higher than most non-coastal retirement communities in Florida. You would be lucky to rent a smaller home at the rock bottom in any half decent part of TV for $24k/year.

Tags
annual, costs, home, arkansas, savings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.