TV emergency room

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4me View Post
Russ Boston is a competent, excellent nurse and I have read his posts for years on this forum while he was in training before he moved here, giving up a lucrative and successful career to reeducate himself for a job that would allow him to retire here. He is right about people being born a "jerk". Behaviorists are learning that it is more nature than nurture to born with a negative personality and be irascible, surly and demanding.... people are born with brain structure to have those traits. The reverse is also true and all along the spectrum. In fact personality traits are probably genetic. Mean dogs run in mean families and the reverse.

Russ states his point without emotion sometimes on this forum but he is a responsible and caring medical man.
I agree wholeheartedly with this post. Russ is a great guy, but then he's from Boston, what else could he be!

(mommieswamie) I quote you: [I]"No, I don't know anyone that I would consider to have been "born mean and angry", and I have never met or know anyone who was "just a jerk". You have indeed been very fortunate in your long life. Unfortunately I knew mean and nasty and just plain ugly up close and very personal - my Father-in-Law was the meanest, ugliest natured person I have ever met, he was mean and spiteful to his wife, jealous of, and mean, to his one and only son, and he was absolutely rotten to me .......... he heard me laughing with my Mother-in-Law one day and threw me out of the house! Unfortunately true! On his death bed he wrote my oldest son the most awful letter you could imagine because he misunderstood a "get well" card my son had sent him. His last words to my son were "go rot in hell" ........... Thankfully, his son takes after his Mother and not the old man - thank you God! So, believe me, there are people who are born just plain mean!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Oh absolutely. The problem with ER and admitting to a floor, as I see it, is that some know how to play the game. TVRH is an acute care hospital, not a long term rehab hospital. I have at least 1 patient per day who has dementia. The problem comes when the person, who needs a break at home, brings in the patient knowing that is the best way to get them into a rehab facility. As a nurse (and I know the docs feel the same) we can't do much for this patient. We are not treating them in any meaningful manner because there's not much that can be done in an acute care medical setting. We give them their daily meds, watch out for their safety, maybe do a new CT or MRI and then after the 3 midnights (Medicare requirement) we find a rehab setting for them. In 1.5 years I've had some patients 3-4 times already. I know one patient who was there 15 times last year and is already up to 6 this year (true story). But if the family comes into ER and says something like "he's just not himself" or "we see a big change over the past week" then we admit the patient and see if we can do anything. Unfortunately many times there is nothing to be done medically. But in the mean time the bed is filled for those 3 days and others in ER need to wait until a bed opens up.
Do you ever feel like you're shovelling S*** against the tide? I wouldn't want your job, no way.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-30-2013, 05:41 PM
Veteran member

such horror stories. i do not know of any first-hand experiences of bad service at the villages hosp[ital. i do remember one back in penna where a friend broke her elbow when she fell down some stairs. this was on a friday evening, at the start of a holiday weekend. they gave her pain killers and told her to come back on tuesday morning. so she returned on tuesday and had the elbow set, but since a few days had elapsed some bone knitting had already occurred, and it was a bit more complicated than if it had been attended to right at the beginning.
i am looking forward to a better system of care when the affordable healthcare act finally begins and we will have universal healthcare like most progressive european nations (and canada).
btw: i had excellent care at the villages hospital.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:14 AM

oh please tell me this is not in The Villages... is it? I hope all those people are doing well too including your husband. What can we do about this problem that's happening nationwide Sally? Alozno
Old 07-20-2013, 06:11 AM
Email Reported As Spam

The terms mean angry jerk are being thrown around a lot here. the causes can be anything from genetic to learned to health related to just a bad time in someone's life.

If you deal with the public then you learn that it is your obligation to control the situation as best you can even if that jerk is in a position above yours. As a manager that is the advice I had given to my staff. some got it and some did not and for the latter we soon parted company because their inability to contain a situation damaged everyone.

I have stated repeatedly that I am in awe of nurses. It is truly a difficult occupation but yet they seem to remain in control manage a smile and stay focused on the problem. They all have my greatest respect.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:18 AM
Sage

We have needed tv emergency room twice in our 3 years here. Both times were great experiences and perfect treatment both times. Sorry to here about those that did not feel they received great care.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 PM

This hospital is an embarrassment to the town. I was in there a few months ago and had a similar experience. I have been there twice. The first time, I broke my foot at the square. I waited in the ER for 6 hours to be waited on. My foot began swelling the minute I fell. They determined I broke it. I had to wait 6 hours to hear that. But when I went to the foot doctor 2 days later, he said that I sprang my ankle, broke my foot and tore tendons. It was really bad. Good thing I had a vicodin in my purse to get me through the 6 hours. The second time I went to the ER I waited 5 hours. I had an infection in my foot. An ingrown toe nail. It was a Sunday so I couldn't go to my regular doctor. The ER doctor ended up removing my toe nail. It was that bad. An infection and they made me wait forever to be treated. The hospital has HORRIBLE service and no one seems to care about the patients. Something really needs to be done to change that place. It's dirty and dingy for such a young hospital. They need to bring in a company to revamp that place.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:47 PM

I had my first experience in TV ER and hospital a couple of days ago and I have nothing but good things to say about my stay. The ER was pretty crowded when I arrived but because of my symptoms I was seen within 20 min and the appropriate testing was done (Cat scan, chest x ray etc). I arrived at the ER at 7:30 and was in a room by 12:30. The wait time is the same if not worse in the hospitals in NY. Everyone who attended to me was caring and went out of their way to make me feel comfortable including the nurse's aide who ran the water in the bathroom ahead of time to make sure it was hot enough for me to wash. My room was beautiful and clean as well as the hospital hallways. The next day, a male nurse who was just coming on duty, came in to see if he could get my husband and I anything while we were waiting to be discharged. At first I urged my husband to take me to Munroe because of the negative comments I have been reading about TV ER, but I am glad we made the right choice. Why would Munroe's ER be any different? People are seen according to the seriousness of their problem, not who walks in the door first.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy327 View Post
I had my first experience in TV ER and hospital a couple of days ago and I have nothing but good things to say about my stay. The ER was pretty crowded when I arrived but because of my symptoms I was seen within 20 min and the appropriate testing was done (Cat scan, chest x ray etc). I arrived at the ER at 7:30 and was in a room by 12:30. The wait time is the same if not worse in the hospitals in NY. Everyone who attended to me was caring and went out of their way to make me feel comfortable including the nurse's aide who ran the water in the bathroom ahead of time to make sure it was hot enough for me to wash. My room was beautiful and clean as well as the hospital hallways. The next day, a male nurse who was just coming on duty, came in to see if he could get my husband and I anything while we were waiting to be discharged. At first I urged my husband to take me to Munroe because of the negative comments I have been reading about TV ER, but I am glad we made the right choice. Why would Munroe's ER be any different? People are seen according to the seriousness of their problem, not who walks in the door first.
So glad to hear this because one day, it could be one of us who needs the ER here, not farther away.

Having been in various hospitals many times, it means a lot when nursing and other staff make an effort to tune in and ask if you need anything. Some small, kind measures like running the water to get it hot first go a long way. It's not the measure itself, but the thoughtfulness. People don't want to have robots moving thru the room acting like there's nobody in that bed that might need something.

To be fair about the wait times, this is the slow season and this kind of wait time might not be possible in the height of winter. But the hospital is building on and hopefully some of that seasonal crunch will ease up.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:45 PM

When we moved into TV last September, one of the first things that we were told was in an emergency, not to go to the emergency room here at TV Hospital but to go to the hospital in Leesburg. It is much closer than Ocala for us. What good does it do us to have a hospital on property if the care is so poor?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.