TV: streaming of national news "live"

Old 03-05-2024, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,526 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
Why would anyone watch MSM news anymore? The industry is dying, along with print newspapers. Years of lying and narrative-pushing has made them untrustworthy.

There are so many good independent news sources these days. Take advantage of them.
They would watch network news because - they WANT to. I'm sure they appreciate your valuable wisdom and insight about their choices but - they never asked your opinion of their choices. They asked how their choices could be accommodated.

To answer their question - which was how to watch national news on the major networks - all the streaming devices will provide you with the network news apps. Certain newscasts might only be available via paid subscription, while the rest of them are free.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Why would anyone watch MSM news anymore? The industry is dying, along with print newspapers. Years of lying and narrative-pushing has made them untrustworthy.

There are so many good independent news sources these days. Take advantage of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
For example .....
My go-to for news is X (aka Twitter). There are lots of unbiased journalists like Glenn Greenwald, Matt Tiabbi, Michael Schellenberger, etc that provide information that is ignored (likely intentionally) by the MSM.

You can also go to allsides.com or mediabiasfactcheck.com where you can at least choose an outlet that is in the middle rather than one on either side.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
My go-to for news is X (aka Twitter). There are lots of unbiased journalists like Glenn Greenwald, Matt Tiabbi, Michael Schellenberger, etc that provide information that is ignored (likely intentionally) by the MSM.
the bird has been my sole non financial news source since 2009, but anything humans are reporting on is biased, because all humans are biased. The reason people like non MSM is that the news source is much more focused and nuanced instead of for everyone's basic needs, and of those of the advertiser.
Old 03-06-2024, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

If all you want is local weather, btw, Orlando isn’t local, there are dozens of apps on your phone that will give you more accurate weather. I put up my own weather station in my backyard which gives me very local conditions, uploads this data to the weather underground database every 10 seconds so my sprinkler system can use this data to determine if it should water the lawn or not
Old 03-06-2024, 06:49 AM

Quote:

I love watching MSN news, it brings me back to the days my kids were teanagers and I woluld ask them it they were drinking when they came home. They convincingly assured me "oh no Dad we would never do that" .After that I could blissfully fall asleap knowing my kids were angels.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
They would watch network news because - they WANT to. I'm sure they appreciate your valuable wisdom and insight about their choices but - they never asked your opinion of their choices. They asked how their choices could be accommodated.

To answer their question - which was how to watch national news on the major networks - all the streaming devices will provide you with the network news apps. Certain newscasts might only be available via paid subscription, while the rest of them are free.
Thank you!!!
Old 03-06-2024, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Hi,
I've searched this forum, but can't find an answer.

Rental houses for past few years have had either Roku or Fire stick streaming devices.

Regardless of installed app, we can't seem to be able to watch national news (ABC, CBS, or NBC)..

we've tried to use the Spectrum app from our own account, the "local live" app, etc...but not the 6:30pm or 11pm national news live....
I live in the Marion County district of The Villages, and have very few problems with over the air TV reception from Orlando. Also, the local stations all have their own apps on Roku, these just need to be installed. NBC, CBS both have 24 hour live streaming on their News apps. NBC also posts the Evening News to their YouTube channel about 20 minutes after the west coast feed finishes its live broadcast, 9:20 Eastern time. No advertising on that venue.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
While technically true, I was merely pointing to other options, Options that perhaps they were unaware of, and may prefer. There is a reason MSM is dying.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Rental houses for past few years have had either Roku or Fire stick streaming devices.

Regardless of installed app, we can't seem to be able to watch national news (ABC, CBS, or NBC)..

we've tried to use the Spectrum app from our own account, the "local live" app, etc...but not the 6:30pm or 11pm national news live....
Roku has a live directory..for more options Youtube TV and Hulu live tv Streaming service offer local channels. They are both about 75.00 a month. Well worth It. Cheaper then cable
Old 03-06-2024, 06:56 PM
Default Look for rental with antenna

Look to see if rental offers antenna TV, that’s how we watch local channels when here.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
No, But I like to watch the local weather.
I get the local weather on my cell phone, that I check every morning. (I have to give a report to my hubby)
Old 03-06-2024, 09:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Hi,

I done streaming for while. I was lucky to stream anything live.
Old 03-07-2024, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
so true!! if you want to know what's going on in the US, you need to read the foreign press
You know that's a great idea! The news networks don't seem to be providing real news anymore..
Old 03-07-2024, 08:58 AM

I use Local Now to watch the local news out of Orlando to see who got shot, robbed, intoxicated, or run over. Also has national news so I can be sure my 1 vote goes to the one hero who will save the world and the other side will go to jail. Helps give me anxiety knowing we're all gonna die soon. Or by 2095, when everything turns to dust. Or floods. Or water shortages.

Seriously, though, it's pretty good. Has a bunch of old time shows and channels, and a bunch of on-demand.

It's a free app, and the content is free. Runs on most streaming sticks
Free News, Shows, Movies and Channels | Local Now

Also use the PBS app to watch the most amazing show, Central Florida Road Trip. (and Florida Road Trip). Lots of history around here, lots to discover!

Download the PBS App for Free

Central Florida Roadtrip | PBS
Florida Road Trip | PBS

The PBS app is also free and a lot of content is free, but they do get their money from our taxes and donations.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
No, But I like to watch the local weather.
We do too. Wife and I watch the NBC WESH Channel 2 local weather every night. We like their futurecasts, which are pretty accurate IMO. Covers the Villages pretty well.
My favorite meteorologist is Kellianne, but they don't show her often. Wife likes Tony, of course.

Tags
national, news, live, app, streaming

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.