TV Warranty on New Windows ?

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2020, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesGP View Post
I have a small glass-enclosed lanai(2nd owner), and the windows on the west-facing side are showing stress cracks?! I didn't seem them on inspection(purchased 1 1/2yrs ago), as they originated in and around the seals. They're now starting to spread out. The label on the windows reads..."Removable panel SHALL be removed when wind speeds exceed 75mph." Not sure if this was caused by Irma, as I don't think we have experienced any gusts that great? Regardless, I'm not sure if these are covered under warranty or not? Hopefully, they can be replaced with something stronger that can withstand gusts?
there's a potential that they may be covered under the manufacturer's warranty....give them a call
Old 08-11-2020, 08:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter View Post
I noticed water in between the double glass panes on my windows. I was surprised this happened as the windows are approximately 2 and 1/2 years old.
The warranty department referred me to T&D who explained that the windows were under warranty. The warranty covered the glass which I would not be charged for however the labor to install the windows would be $150 !
Has anyone else had windows that failed this early?
Any experience with a replacement window installer? If these fail this early perhaps a replacement window with a better warranty makes more sense
Yes, we had a window go bad in 1 1/2 yrs. but let it go until we decided to move, but not because of the window it was because we wanted to be closer to family. Yes, basically the warranty wouldn’t cover it & yes it cost us $150. to get it replaced. This window was in the kitchen facing south, also had another one starting to go bad in Master bedroom. I agree Windows would have had to be cheap & builders must of gotten a good deal on them. We built 11 homes & always had Pelli
Windows put in & never ever had one go bad. We had one that got broke after 9 yrs. & never cost us a nickel to get it replaced. I think eventually a lot of things will be replaced prematurely, I guess it’s like the old saying, you get what you paid for. In defense to TV, everything where you’re paying HOA the salesmen make it sound good to sell houses just like where we live now! TV is a great place to live but the homes are 10 to 15 yr. repair yourself homes! Just my opinion even though some people will disagree with me, but time will tell.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:11 AM
Default Windows

Hello, in 3 1/2 years we now have had 3 failed windows (seal failure); called the Warranty Dept. and was told our installer was T&D. Called them and they said that windows are warrantied for 20 years even though our warranty information did not have information on windows per se. Cost depends on the number of windows from T&D - with our 3 full windows (top and bottom) it was $75.00 to come out the first time to inspect and document and $75.00 to come out and replace - takes about 4-5 weeks to order - so the $150.00 is a service charge; no cost for the panes. Very happy with T&D customer service.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:23 AM

We looked at a 5 year old house and noticed that the windows were foggy. We placed a bid and had an inspection. The inspection report said that 11 panes had failed seals. The Villages real estate said they would see if the seller wanted to do something about the windows and it sounded positive. When we closed we were told that the window problems were considered cosmetic and that we agreed to that when we signed the sales agreement and put our bid in on the house. So, long story short, the bad windows on a $700K house became our problem. We had Maximus Glass replace all 11 panes and he did a great job. Still, these are the cheapest, poorest quality windows ever made, in my humble opinion. The sliding glass doors seem only slightly better than the double hung windows.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
So it's not to keep the cost of the house down, it's about higher, greedy profits.

Got it.

Greed is good.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:45 AM

We had a similar problem. TD replaced the window and charged for installation. We were told to contact the window company and submit the instal bill for reimbursement. Just submitted it this week and waiting for a response.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter View Post
I looked on Lowe’s website. Pella and Anderson windows which are better than the builders no name windows are close to the $150 warranty price LOL
The $150 labor charge applies no matter how many windows need replacement. We paid $150 and got 4 windows replaced. Much better deal than buying 4 new windows.

LOL
Old 08-11-2020, 09:57 AM

We had one window replaced under the 10yr warranty about 10 months ago. $75 install fee was all we paid.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M View Post
We looked at a 5 year old house and noticed that the windows were foggy. We placed a bid and had an inspection. The inspection report said that 11 panes had failed seals. The Villages real estate said they would see if the seller wanted to do something about the windows and it sounded positive. When we closed we were told that the window problems were considered cosmetic and that we agreed to that when we signed the sales agreement and put our bid in on the house. So, long story short, the bad windows on a $700K house became our problem. We had Maximus Glass replace all 11 panes and he did a great job. Still, these are the cheapest, poorest quality windows ever made, in my humble opinion. The sliding glass doors seem only slightly better than the double hung windows.
Thanks I will check out this contractor
Old 08-11-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecenturian View Post
We had a similar problem. TD replaced the window and charged for installation. We were told to contact the window company and submit the instal bill for reimbursement. Just submitted it this week and waiting for a response.
The windows installed in my house were built locally by Custom Windows. They directed me to their website to review their warranty. The language has so many caveats that it appears to warranty very little. For example I can schedule a warranty inspection but that will cost $200 regardless of findings
Components are covered labor is not
Perhaps your house has a different window manufacturer
Old 08-11-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
The $150 labor charge applies no matter how many windows need replacement. We paid $150 and got 4 windows replaced. Much better deal than buying 4 new windows.

LOL
I wasn’t told that
Thank you for that information. I will ask if that applies
Old 08-11-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine12 View Post
We had one window replaced under the 10yr warranty about 10 months ago. $75 install fee was all we paid.
Perhaps there are different brands of windows with different warranties
Old 08-11-2020, 11:54 AM

Apparently, that ten year window replacement warranty only applies to the original owner of the house; unlike the roof and A/C warranty’s which do seem transferable.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:47 PM
Default TV Warranty on New Windows ?

We have had so many problems with T&D windows! I just had a guy come out last week to look at our FOURTH failed window. It's great that they're under warranty, but the install fees are really starting to add up. If the products had been good quality in the first place, we wouldn't be shelling out all this money. It's very frustrating. Our house is barely four years old.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
What makes you think this? The Villages didn't MAKE the windows.
The villages didn’t make the windows, but they install them and they probably knew that they were cheaply made.
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, warranty, window, early, replacement

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.