My wife and I were almost killed tonight driving a golf cart, how common is this?

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Question My wife and I were almost killed tonight driving a golf cart, how common is this?

My wife and I just moved to The Villages last Tuesday. We’ve really enjoyed having dinner and meeting new friends at LSL town center; and have been considering living here full-time. We’ve also enjoyed driving around in the golf cart. Usually we take the tunnel by Sweetbay to get to LSL from The Village of Caroline. Driving that way, we’ve noticed that the golf cart path that usually leads directly to LSL road is blocked off; making you drive through the Sweetbay parking lot then taking Old Camp road (we think that’s what it’s called as we are still getting used to the street names) to get to LSL road.
Well, tonight we went to LSL to meet with some friends for dinner and we took the same path to get back home. Luckily we did not have any drinks and we were not in a hurry driving back home. As we were driving on Old Camp road to get to the Sweetbay parking lot, I noticed a white car that looked like it was coming up to us really fast on our right side -- it was speeding through the parking lot behind Bravo Pizza (the restaurant located on the corner of Old Camp road and Lake Sumter Landing road). Behind Bravo Pizza is a parking lot. There used to be an exit from that same parking lot that exited onto Old Camp road. However, the exit was blocked off and a curb was added, along with several bushes and some trees.
While we were driving down Old Camp road all of a sudden that same white car came crashing over the curb, through the hedges and trees and was flying 3-4 feet high in the air just a few feet in front of us where we would have been in another 3 seconds… we would have been decapitated! It all happened so fast that I didn’t even have time to react!
We called the police immediately. The firemen and policemen did a good job blocking off the area and getting the area secure pretty quickly. The car ran into some shrubs and a policeman said that the driver also ran into a Transformer and broke a gas line. The police officer said that he smelled gas and was concerned that they may have to evacuate the area due to the gas.
With this near death accident, my wife is scared about living here and is thinking that we should put the house up for sale and move.

It is by the grace of G-D that we are still alive. There were also 6 teenagers walking on the sidewalk who also were literally seconds from being killed.
I am wondering:
How safe is it really to drive golf carts at night, in the squares with some people who may be too old to drive, and people drinking?
Are we getting to hear all these events or are they being covered up to protect the image of The Villages?
I would appreciate your comments and feedback. Especially from those of you who have been here for some time and have more insight into the area and maybe have some inside scoop.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Platinum member

This is an extremely horrifying experience and I am so sorry that you and your wife had to deal with this. As you said, thank the Lord that it turned out as it did.

I don't believe that your experience had anything to do with it being in The Villages...a coincidence. Unfortunately this sort of thing can happen anywhere. You just happen to witness it. I certainly hope that when you have both thought this through, you will realize that it's not a common occurrence.. I believe that the majority of villagers drive golf carts and cars cautiously, but accidents do happen.

Again, so sorry that this happened to you. Take a deal breath, and be thankful that you are unharmed.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:02 AM
KittyKat
Smile

Wow! So glad you & the teens are safe. It was an ACCIDENT, could have happened anywhere. I, too, am so sorry it happened so soon after moving here. I have lived here 5 years and have never come close to being injured. You did the right thing--you were aware of your surroundings & noticed this car was not acting right. You have to be a defensive driver in the cart just like in your car. Please don't make a hasty decision about moving; you have so much to experience here.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Email Reported As Spam

The fact is, and one ignored by many here that driving a golf cart can be risky. Accidents are called accidents for an obvious reason. When I first moved here some guy decided to drive his Lexus convertible on the golf cart path and was headed for me and three other carts behind me just before sunrise. We all took to the grass. I called the police who so much told me they had seen this before and so ignored my plea for finding this nut job. Well after 6 years i find that it has occured a number of times. I have eye witnessed two of those accounts thus far.

Carts were made for the golf course. I only use my golf cart when I play golf for that reason. Reducing my driving time theortically reduces my chances of getting in an accident

So anyone going in excess of 20 mph, driving a street legal cart is increasing risks for other residents and themselves.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:54 AM
Gold member

We were coming home last night from LSL around 9:30 as we always wait for the traffic to die down. We were stopped at the STOP sign on Canal getting ready to cross Old Camp Road to the golf cart path (Stillwater) when I noticed a white car speeding as he approached the Stop sign. I stayed where I was as the car skidded to a stop! Whew! I am always wary driving my golf cart especially at night and especially coming home from the Squares. Always be alert and don't take for granted that others driving in cars see golf carts as motorized vehicles sharing the road. Everyone be careful out there! Driving my golf cart is one of my favorite things to do.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:58 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainsley View Post
We were coming home last night from LSL around 9:30 as we always wait for the traffic to die down. We were stopped at the STOP sign on Canal getting ready to cross Old Camp Road to the golf cart path (Stillwater) when I noticed a white car speeding as he approached the Stop sign. I stayed where I was as the car skidded to a stop! Whew! I am always wary driving my golf cart especially at night and especially coming home from the Squares. Always be alert and don't take for granted that others driving in cars see golf carts as motorized vehicles sharing the road. Everyone be careful out there! Driving my golf cart is one of my favorite things to do.
See what I mean...Its eventually goin happen that scare that almost that vulnerability because you are driving a vehicle that leaves you exposed. It is what it is
Old 07-07-2012, 05:45 AM
Veteran member
Default Retirement Community

There are a lot of people in TV that do not belong behind the wheel of a car because their driving skills have deteriorated. And there a lot of people who do not belong behind the wheel of a Golf Cart because they think they are driving at the Daytona 500. Unfortunately it is the "nature of the beast" when you live in TV. When we first moved here I was planing on having 2 Golf Carts. Now I am thinking 1 cart and a TANK. But is is still the best retirement community we looked at.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:57 AM

You do have to be cautious!! Just because this is retirement community doesn't mean you won't see 20 yr olds driving around it. What really gets to me though is when you see the 20 yr olds in the golf carts fooling around as if they are toys!! Grandparents need to be especially careful giving their grandchildren golf carts. They are vehicles and can kill and injure many. Be cautious as you were. Thank God your both fine!! But golf cart accidents are a concern especially as our population has increased so much. Keep your eye on the POA paper for the real statistics. The Sun won't reveal the truth.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,340 Times in 2,064 Posts

For the number of people on the road in and around the Villages, bad accidents like this one are rather rare. Drunken driving, medical problems like strokes, poor eyesight, and bad decisions do play a part in the accidents we have around here too.

What happened with the driver of the white car? Sounds like some preteen on a joyride?? Fortunately that kind of stuff happens very rarely in the Villages because of the limitations on kids living here.

I always drive defensively though whether in a car or golf cart. Even while walking I watch out for carts and or cars that have a driver who might have some kind of medical problem.

The Villages Daily Sun does carry news on bad accidents in or near the Villages. They do not highlight them though like some newspapers. Another poster is right though that you would need other sources to get statistics on golf cart and car accident in or near the Villages. The Daily Commercial of Leesburg often has this kind of news. http://www.dailycommercial.com/ The Ocala Star-Banner also will give you news-- http://www.ocala.com/
Old 07-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

I agree with all of the previous posters. You have to drive defensively when zooming around in your golf cart. This is a senior community and with diminished vision, hearing and reaction times as a result of age mixed in with meds and alcohol, and you have a potential problem. A friend of mine who has lived in TV for 9 years told me of an incident where a person was stuck inside a golf cart tunnel by driving their car in there a number of years ago. Then you have all the wanna-be NASCAR drivers who soup up their non-street-legal golfcarts to do well in excess of 20 miles per hour that always seem to be running late, sometimes passing on blind curves with limited sight-line. You see it all, and have to drive defensively. Glad that you and all nearby were not harmed by someone's stupidity!!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
My wife and I just moved to The Villages last Tuesday. We’ve really enjoyed having dinner and meeting new friends at LSL town center; and have been considering living here full-time. We’ve also enjoyed driving around in the golf cart. Usually we take the tunnel by Sweetbay to get to LSL from The Village of Caroline. Driving that way, we’ve noticed that the golf cart path that usually leads directly to LSL road is blocked off; making you drive through the Sweetbay parking lot then taking Old Camp road (we think that’s what it’s called as we are still getting used to the street names) to get to LSL road.
Well, tonight we went to LSL to meet with some friends for dinner and we took the same path to get back home. Luckily we did not have any drinks and we were not in a hurry driving back home. As we were driving on Old Camp road to get to the Sweetbay parking lot, I noticed a white car that looked like it was coming up to us really fast on our right side -- it was speeding through the parking lot behind Bravo Pizza (the restaurant located on the corner of Old Camp road and Lake Sumter Landing road). Behind Bravo Pizza is a parking lot. There used to be an exit from that same parking lot that exited onto Old Camp road. However, the exit was blocked off and a curb was added, along with several bushes and some trees.
While we were driving down Old Camp road all of a sudden that same white car came crashing over the curb, through the hedges and trees and was flying 3-4 feet high in the air just a few feet in front of us where we would have been in another 3 seconds… we would have been decapitated! It all happened so fast that I didn’t even have time to react!
We called the police immediately. The firemen and policemen did a good job blocking off the area and getting the area secure pretty quickly. The car ran into some shrubs and a policeman said that the driver also ran into a Transformer and broke a gas line. The police officer said that he smelled gas and was concerned that they may have to evacuate the area due to the gas.
With this near death accident, my wife is scared about living here and is thinking that we should put the house up for sale and move.

It is by the grace of G-D that we are still alive. There were also 6 teenagers walking on the sidewalk who also were literally seconds from being killed.
I am wondering:
How safe is it really to drive golf carts at night, in the squares with some people who may be too old to drive, and people drinking?
Are we getting to hear all these events or are they being covered up to protect the image of The Villages?
I would appreciate your comments and feedback. Especially from those of you who have been here for some time and have more insight into the area and maybe have some inside scoop.
Thank goodness you are safe and the worst case scenario did not occur.

On our recent visit in October and November 2011, I felt everyone was speeding. I also thought I had read in the paper they were going to lower the speed limit. My hubby said everyone has to go fast to keep up the flow of traffic.......which was fast.

There is no protection for the driver and passenger in a golf cart.

Perhaps if one just stays in their neighborhood, on their own golf course, with the golf cart and uses the automobile to go to the retaurants, such as we did, they'd be wiser. At least you'd have airbags if you got hit.

We were in the northwest quadrant and it was peaceful and quiet.
However, when we'd get on Buena Vista and the other highway type roads it was quite "speedy".......all of the "466" type roads were quick moving.............

I had pictured The Villages to be very slow going with the golf carts just meandering around..........but even on the designated paths, some were really speeding along..........I'm certain they were experienced golf cart drivers but for someone more pokey who might get in their way, OUCH.

Just glad you were o.k., but shaken.

We just had to use golf carts again for a commencement up north and all I can say is that it was a WILD RIDE......on hilly terrain. Personally, I'm not fond of them............but being a golf cart community is why so many people DO LOVE THE VILLAGES.......
Old 07-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The fact is, and one ignored by many here that driving a golf cart can be risky. Accidents are called accidents for an obvious reason. When I first moved here some guy decided to drive his Lexus convertible on the golf cart path and was headed for me and three other carts behind me just before sunrise. We all took to the grass. I called the police who so much told me they had seen this before and so ignored my plea for finding this nut job. Well after 6 years i find that it has occured a number of times. I have eye witnessed two of those accounts thus far.

Carts were made for the golf course. I only use my golf cart when I play golf for that reason. Reducing my driving time theortically reduces my chances of getting in an accident

So anyone going in excess of 20 mph, driving a street legal cart is increasing risks for other residents and themselves.

All words of wisdom, for sure. Thanks for posting.

That's exactly how I feel. Fine for the golf course; not so fine for general transportation.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Veteran member

My wife and I passed a grandmother in a cart by her self driving with her right hand and holding a baby, about 6 months old, on her lap with her left arm. I'm glad the white car was a little further north.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bieniaszek View Post
I agree with all of the previous posters. You have to drive defensively when zooming around in your golf cart. This is a senior community and with diminished vision, hearing and reaction times as a result of age mixed in with meds and alcohol, and you have a potential problem. A friend of mine who has lived in TV for 9 years told me of an incident where a person was stuck inside a golf cart tunnel by driving their car in there a number of years ago. Then you have all the wanna-be NASCAR drivers who soup up their non-street-legal golfcarts to do well in excess of 20 miles per hour that always seem to be running late, sometimes passing on blind curves with limited sight-line. You see it all, and have to drive defensively. Glad that you and all nearby were not harmed by someone's stupidity!!

Everyone said it better than I could. I am glad you weren't harmed and wonder about the driver and why he was driving so dangerously?

Will look in The Sun tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Sage
Default Lots of risks in a golf cart

We love our golf car and golf car rides. Intentionally, we don't take our cart to the squares....too busy...to may people. We stay on the cart paths when we take a ride or ride in the early evening when there's less traffic or early morning. I see people leave from a bar in LSL with their drinks in their hands and get into a cart. Not a risk I'm willing to take being down there in a cart with all of the drinking going on.

So glad your timing was perfect in avoiding the accident and that you are all right. A very scary situation for sure. please stay safe.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.